• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Remington 700 40X clip slot service

p51chambers

Private
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2020
First post after lurking for almost 4 years. I have a remington 700 set up for NRA high power/CMP 3 position shooting. The last thing I need to do is set it up for the mandatory reload. The obvious answer is detachable bottom metal but its a 700 with irons. I'm going for maximum struggle. I'm looking for someone that can clip slot my rifle like a 40x. I called LRI and they only do the scope base "clip slot" but might be able to do the 40x. They have no time frame because they would be starting from scratch. I don't mind waiting if there's no other options. I know good gun work takes time. I looked on the GA precision website because I remember it being on their list of services but if it was it's not there anymore. I plan to call them tomorrow. Google/the search bar only bring up references to calling LRI, other scope base clone services, and bolt on stripper clip guides that have gone the way of the dodo. I figure this is more of a vintage clone problem so I'm asking it here. If there's anyone else that offers what I need I would greatly appreciate a name or contact info. Thanks.

IMG-8948.jpg

When you say scope base clip slot I guess you mean this. This is a Model 70 and being that it was a .308 now 6.5 CM on a long action this works real well. I never had an issue on reload.

Attachments

• DSCN1682.JPG
    DSCN1682.JPG
    387.3 KB · Views: 32
I am sure many can do the job. I would suggest LRI due to Chad's history with competitive shooting gunsmithing and general good reputation and turn around times.
I would avoid anyone who does not understand that you are clip slotting for function and not cloning. I also suggest you send some of your clips and dummy rounds to the smith to have it function checked prior to return.

First post after lurking for almost 4 years. I have a remington 700 set up for NRA high power/CMP 3 position shooting. The last thing I need to do is set it up for the mandatory reload. The obvious answer is detachable bottom metal but its a 700 with irons. I'm going for maximum struggle. I'm looking for someone that can clip slot my rifle like a 40x. I called LRI and they only do the scope base "clip slot" but might be able to do the 40x. They have no time frame because they would be starting from scratch. I don't mind waiting if there's no other options. I know good gun work takes time. I looked on the GA precision website because I remember it being on their list of services but if it was it's not there anymore. I plan to call them tomorrow. Google/the search bar only bring up references to calling LRI, other scope base clone services, and bolt on stripper clip guides that have gone the way of the dodo. I figure this is more of a vintage clone problem so I'm asking it here. If there's anyone else that offers what I need I would greatly appreciate a name or contact info. Thanks.

View attachment 8423130

i would call Texas Brigade Armory, RW Snyder, Short Action customs, anyone who can build you an M40 Clone. If you cant go with LRI, there are other options.

yall leave Chad and Eric alone up at LRI, they are about to barrel my Mk13 action and im hoping its this week.

Reactions: RTH1800
another one that came to my mind, that should be able to do that work, would be Griffin & Howe. Surely they have someone there that knows clip slotted actions.

Thanks for all the info. When I say clip slot scope base I'm talking about the M40 A3/A5 (and others I cant remember) that use the stripper clip cuts on the receiver for a recoil lug on the base to register to. Over time the features of the mounts changed and the receiver cuts were simplified for manufacture and lost the ability to load from clips. I'm looking for the full feature clip slot for loading like the early m40 and 40x. I've tried to find a bolt on guide over the years but everything had been a mislabeled model 70 part. Even if I can find one to "drop in" I think the left side receiver wall would need rework. I'm also working with a long action 30-06 so there would be length issues with a bolt on. Thanks again for all the help.

IMG-8953.jpgIMG-8954.jpgIMG-8955.jpgIMG-8956.jpgBolt on guide.jpg

I actually have a spare Remington 40X receiver that was a factory 7.62. I think it was from the late 60's. It's a 30,000B serial range. These were factory clip slotted and identical to the M40 receivers sent to the Marines, except they are marked 40x instead of 700. But this has the clip slot you are looking for.

If you want PM me. I bought it for a build that never happened. It's parkerized in a dark finish

Reactions: jetmd