• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 3 gun question

K_4c

Old Salt
Minuteman
  • Oct 13, 2008
    Nebraska
    I'd like to enter a couple 3 gun events this season and was wondering what a quality ($300-$500) shotgun would be. It could be a pump or semi (-semi- depending on the reliability and if they/it can cycle 23/4 for training purposes) must have ghost ring sights and in the range of a 18" to 20" barrel. Better yet, what are some models to stay away from. Any experinced 3 gun shooters...your opinion is more than welcomed here.

thanks hide members,

Kinnamon

Re: 3 gun question

I use a HK Benelli M1 Tactical, not cheap, and after a little maintenance has been 100%, TacPro has a iron sight class so I use my 20inch AR15 service rifle, and of course my two peso whore pistol Glock 21, have fun, 3 gun is a blast.

Sounds like a nice set up 427. I'll be running a LWRC m6a2 18", glock 34 and ???? well that's what I'm trying to figure out....

Remington 1100 Tactical. Used to be called a Compmaster, that's what I have. Cycles any ammo, soft recoiling, and fast.

The cheapest route for a 3gun shotgun that is going to work is a Benelli Nova . The loading port is huge and makes loading easier and they get really slick after being shot a little bit . The shotgun in 3gun is more of a loading game than anything else .

The hot ticket now is something in the 21 inch length with a fiber optic bead as most of the slug shots have move a lot closer than they used too , under 50 yds . The extra length on the barrel gets you a longer magazine to hold more shells . The choice is also going to be dependent on the class You want to shoot in also . There is a lot of info on the action shooting stuff here , http://www.brianenos.com/forums/ .

With the budget You stated an auto is probably going to be out of the range as a new Benelli M2 is going to run 1200 ish and used M1's and M2's are in the 700 - 1000 range . A Remington 1100 is also an option but they can be temperamental .

The shotgun I would recommend in that price range is the Rem 1187 tactical. You could also go with the 870 in a tactical config. If I were looking for a pump I would make sure the forearm does not overlap the action when stroking. This could limit the use of a higher cap side saddle.

If You can afford it a autoloader it is going to be more competitive in the hands of most shooters , I run a Benelli M1 . A pump gun in the hands of a shooter that can run one is really no disadvantage in the over all scheme , one of the guy's I shoot with runs his Nova as fast as any auto . There are pictures of the stuff we do on here , http://coloradomultigun.com/ .

On the side saddle issue the way we reload around here , weak handed off your belt with shell carriers opposed to the turn and burn method which uses the strong hand and typically uses side saddles and shell carriers on your arm . Look at some of the pictures / video and you can see it would be pretty hard to carry 30 + rounds of ammo on your arm or gun .

check out that new mossberg semi, 930 xp. but its 18" ghost sights pistol grip or regular stock. very fast. reliable. two of my buddies shoot one for 3 gun, i have an 1187 and its picky on ammo, it doesn shoot the cheap skeet shit, the mossberg eats it all

Really only a couple viable 3 gun shotguns to choose from, Benelli m1/m2 or FN Sx 2/3 models. If you feel like you need a rear sight,lots of people don't, mill in a flip up rear sight (ruger 10/22) into the vent rib. If you are willing to use a pump the Nova is the way to go there.

I have not tried 3 gun yet but I am setting up a rem. 1100 with a deer barrel. Most of the people where I shoot use Remington 1100's with 28- 30" barrels with 10+ mag extensions. 1 guy uses a seiga[?spelling] with extra mags and does great with the reloads.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hummerdawg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Really only a couple viable 3 gun shotguns to choose from, Benelli m1/m2 or FN Sx 2/3 models. If you feel like you need a rear sight,lots of people don't, mill in a flip up rear sight (ruger 10/22) into the vent rib. If you are willing to use a pump the Nova is the way to go there. </div></div>

My Remington 1100 runs just as well as any FN. They're basically the same thing.

I run a Benelli M1. As for the comment about the 28" barrels with 10 shot tubes, you might want to check with the oufit your going to shoot with. Many places do not allow that set up and often limit it to 8 rounds in the gun.

Im running a Mossberg 930, 18.5 barrel, 8shot tube. Im going to be cutting back a 28inch vent rib down to 22 which will be right around the end of my mag tube.

Some guys say be able to run chokes in order to constrict pattern that way, some guys say change shot size down to 6's or 4's for the longer tougher shots you might face .... The biggest thing to know is HOW your gun patterns various loads you are going to shoot ... and where slugs are going to shoot anywhere from 25 yards on out to 100.

Oh and some are running the Winchester sx2 I think it is which is basically a FN IIRC.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I run a Benelli M1. As for the comment about the 28" barrels with 10 shot tubes, you might want to check with the oufit your going to shoot with. Many places do not allow that set up and often limit it to 8 rounds in the gun. </div></div>

USPSA Open division allows 11.

Limited allows 9, that's what I shoot.

Heavy metal also allows 9.

I ran a Rem. 1187 for 5 years and I now have been running a Win. Sx2 for 4 years. Both have their issues, remingtons can be picky with ammo and magazine springs, and Winchesters (FN's) have issues with the magazine shell catch spring.
    Drill out the gas port on the remington will help with the picky ammo problem, keep a some spare parts on hand also, O-rings and springs to start with. The Remingtons need to ran wet with oil and keep the gas system clean.
    Keep spares for the Winchester.
    You can pick up a cheap remington if you keep your eyes open. Drop on a extended magazine and get started.

Check the rules for magazine capacity per division. Some shoots have different magazine capacity rules.

As far as pumps go the Benelli, remington 870, or the Mossberg 590 will serve you well and don't cost too much.

I have been running a M16 with a9.25" barrel, a GLock 17L and Benelli M1 Super 90 entry gun with a 14" barrel for a few years. The Benelli is at a serious disadvantage due to the short magazine tube.

When people say its a loading game . . . . . they are absolutely correct.

This year I am running a Benelli M4.

In your budget, $300 - $500, The Remington 870 is a good option. You could afford to pick up a used 870 and add iron sights and a mag tube extension to it.

The Mossberg 930spx is a newcomer to our club and it seems to perform well enough. However its as expensive as as the 1187 and other autos.

Benelli M4 will never be competitive. They have only a 5+1 capacity and it is illegal to install an extension under 18 U.S.C. § 922(r). Save your money and buy the FN/Winchester SX2 or a Remington 1100 tactical and be done with it.

Quick update.... I went with a Benelli pump (brand new for $375 with the pistol grip stock) added a 7 shot tube extension ($50) and bought a shit load of shells... This setup will work fine for me needs. I appreciate all your advice (and if you got any more words of wisdom with this setup send em).

again thanks,

Kinnamon

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> shotgun is a loading game. </div></div>

boy isn't that true!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scooty Puff Sr.</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Outsydlooknin75</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> shotgun is a loading game. </div></div>

boy isn't that true!</div></div>

+10000000000

guys have been trying to get around this with Siaga's but then the course designers have been throwing in a slug or two in the middle of the COF

We go to a 3 gun every 3 months. I use a cheap mosberg and it does good. I had a friend put an extended ammo tube to hold 8 and I haven't had a problem yet. So the gun was around a$200. And I payed $40 for him to put the new tube on. That's a lot of saved money spend it on ammo.