• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 3+ INCHES high @ 0 clicks

OldmaninNeb

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 3, 2009
Nebraska
Hmm...OK, I put a NF 12x42x56 scope on my .223 Cooper and with the turret turned all the way down, I'm still almost a mil high @ 100 yards. Is this going to make it difficult as I work up a dope sheet or is it just in my head that it isn't setting well? lol

Re: 3+ INCHES high @ 0 clicks

If your NF scope has the zero stop did you loosen your elevation turret or did you just dial your scope down to the zero stop?

no zero stop, and yes, a 20moa base ... now I'm either (A)losing my mind, (a very real possibility) or, I went back out and shot from 200 yards, not touching the turret yet, and was 4 1/2" high! the base would only go on one way, and fit perfectly... I know a 'click' is 1/4" @ 100 and 1/2" @ 200 ...does that mean this setup (b)will multiply the farther I go out or am I back to A?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Don't think 12-42's have zero stops.......</div></div>

Correct, no zero stops on 8-32 or 12-42

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no zero stop, and yes, a 20moa base ... now I'm either (A)losing my mind, (a very real possibility) or, I went back out and shot from 200 yards, not touching the turret yet, and was 4 1/2" high! the base would only go on one way, and fit perfectly... I know a 'click' is 1/4" @ 100 and 1/2" @ 200 ...does that mean this setup (b)will multiply the farther I go out or am I back to A?</div></div>

If you are asking if you will be shooting high at 300 yds, I would say no. It seems that your bullet travel is on its way up through 100 yds to a zero probably close to 300 yds. The 20 Moa base isn't working for you with this scope, at least for close range. How far do you want to shoot with this rifle? I think you might be able to get away with a zero MOA base, or a 10 to split the difference.

Most scopes do not have the elevation range exactly equal above and below center. There is often a little bit of difference. The NF NXS 12-42 has 45 moa of total elevation; the BR 12x42 has 42. Even if the elevation range was exactly split above and below center ( the optical axis of the scope), you would have only 2.5 moa left with the NXS, and only 1 moa left with the BR, for down adjustment. If your particular BR scope (if that is what you have) has, let's say, 19 down and 23 up, you would be starting at least 1 moa high no matter what you did. So, you might have been unlucky enough to get a scope that was even more skewed in the division of elevation between up and down than even that. If this is the case, you can either put the scope on a different rifle, and hope that the receiver is dimensionally different enough that it all works out, or you can get a 10 minute or 15 minute base, or get a 17 minute base custom made, or you can just learn to mentally adjust at the closer ranges for what your scope does.

Good luck!

Something is definitely not right. If you're 4-1/2" high @ 200, you'll be around 4-1/2" low at 300 (since in .223 the difference between 200 & 300 yd zeroes is around 3MOA, or 9" drop between 200 and 300).

You'll know if you're 20 MOA base is on backwards, the slant is noticeable and the rear of the base is supposed to be noticeably higher than the front. I don't even think the holes would line up if the base were put on backwards.

Is this a new rifle and you've never shot it before? If it's not a new rifle and you zeroed it with another scope successfully, then it's something going on with your NF. Regardless, I would think that you should be able to get a 100 yd zero.

What kind of mounts are you running? Sounds like a problem I had once... You may want to bed the base and lap the rings to get things lined up a little better.

I would assume with a 12-42 you aren't going to be doing a lot of close work, but I may be wrong.

If you are, get a 0 MOA base and work out to 500. If not, stick with the 20 MOA and work from 300 on out and know your hold unders for the closer ranges.

Or, you may be able to get USO to make you a 10 MOA base. I've never seen one for a Cooper, and I looked back when I had mine. Seemed like 0 or 20 were the only options.

I would say you don't have a problem. Just the wrong base/scope combo.

OK, Ken Farrell's 20moa base. I've had a swaro scope on it be4 and no problem zeroing (but didn't have 20moa base) I'll try out 300 yards tomorrow, hope you're right. I was thinking is 3" high @ 100 going to be 6" @ 200 etc. If so, the 1.5 drop between 100 and 200 would be the 4.5 I ended up with. I had the NF on a Savage 308 with 20moa base & med rings, and I could zero @ 100 but ran out @ around 650yds. I wanted to be able to reach farther out than that, so took the scope and put it on the .223 but this I didn't figure on and still not sure why I can't zero @ 100 yds.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hmm...OK, I put a NF 12x42x56 scope on my .223 Cooper and with the turret turned all the way down, I'm still almost a mil high @ 100 yards. Is this going to make it difficult as I work up a dope sheet or is it just in my head that it isn't setting well? lol
</div></div>

rings to high......maybe
confused.gif

no, the medium ultralite NF rings on the Farrell Base put the bell about 1/4" off the barrel.

I can add this: I had to get Ken Farrell's base (which converts the deerfield type to the picanny rail type) as the 56mm bell on the scope was higher than the extra high leupold rings could get me...for whatever that's worth.

See if you can find a 10moa base and rock on!

If not, shim the rear a few thicknesses of your favorite beverage can, adn rock on!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sobrbiker883</div><div class="ubbcode-body">See if you can find a 10moa base and rock on!

If not, shim the rear a few thicknesses of your favorite beverage can, adn rock on!

</div></div>

Ya mean the front,don'tcha ???

Ken Farrell got back to me via email and offered to make it a 15moa base if I'd send it back (for $10!) That's an offer I can't refuse.
Thank you all for the input, I'll letcha know how that all works out.

Shooting High at 100 yards doesn't mean you'll shot high at 200 yards, etc.

You need to look up your trajectory and understand bullet drop so you know what you are seeing and how to account for it correctly.

Seems to be some operator misunderstanding mixed in with possibility that the scope and based are not working for that rifle set up.

The NF 12-42x56 is advertised to have only 40 moa total elevation travel.

It's no shocker you are bottomed-out on a 20 moa base.

here's the kicker, I had a NF savage 20 moa base on the 308 and was a full circle above bottom to zero @ 100 yards. I think Palmik was right, my bullet was still on its way up, hence the 4.5" high @ 200 yds.

Please post your results. I'm getting a 12-42x56 benchrest this week and I need to be able to zero at 100. I plan to use Farrell rings/bases as well. What height rings did you need?

The NXS scope should have some interior adjustment, you may try that and see if it helps. Or try moving the scope forward or backwards on your canted base, which will help a little. Otherwise, change you base or use scope on different rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: popgunz</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ken Farrell got back to me via email and offered to make it a 15moa base if I'd send it back (for $10!) That's an offer I can't refuse.
Thank you all for the input, I'll letcha know how that all works out. </div></div>

Ken has helped me out also, a good guy in my book.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had the NF on a Savage 308 with 20moa base & med rings, and I could zero @ 100 but ran out @ around 650yds. </div></div>
This don't seem right, the scope must be funky, or very limited in elevation.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or try moving the scope forward or backwards on your canted base, which will help a little. </div></div>
Moving your scope up and down a level surface will do nothing, you'll still be looking down the same plane
confused.gif

1 mil= 3.6" @ 100' (?)

Correction = Error/distance X sight radius.

Assuming a 4" base distance-
3.6/3600(inches in 100')=.001 X 4.0= .004 thousandths correction.

That is minimal correction if I did the math correctly.

Shim the front of the base for additional downward movement.
Shim the rear of the base for additional upward movement.

ryanjay.. how far are you hoping to shoot? If you're wanting a 100 yard zero, you just don't have enough elevation if you're on a 20moa base and any more radical (30-40)moa base, you'd have to zero @ 300 yards to reach anything close to 1000 yards...just so ya know. The scope is awesome, just limited because of the magnification I suppose.
jdgray...yup, very limited 45moa I think. BTW, waiting for that 15deg. base is WAY OVERRATED!! lol

oh yeah ryanbjay... I left the ultralite medium rings from NightForce on the scope, just attaching them to Ken's Base. Nightforce's base wouldn't fit the Cooper, so now both rifles will be sorta custom/cobbled together...but its the group size that makes the point ;-)

I'm shooting a 6.5x47.With my current load, it drops 14.25 moa at 600. I have a 20 moa egw base on my gun now with a weaver tactical 4-20. I'm not sure how much adjustment I have, but it easily makes it to zero at 100. I'll have to check to see the differences in these two scopes.

OH well, its takin too long to get the farrell base,(my impatience) so I took the NF rings off the NF Scope and using their savage new 20moa base and the rings, put the swaro scope on the 308. Least tomorrow I can zero it in n see how that'll all work. When I get Ken's 10 moa base, I suppose I'll have to get his rings to mount that BR scope on the cooper. When I moved out to 200 yards with the cooper and printed 4.5 inches high, I gotta tell ya, those two shots made 1.5 hole with the handloads...so I'm plenty excited about getting that together. I hope to have an impressive target from each of these rifles b4 too long.

Really? Taking too long to get the base back? Dude..it's been 5 DAYS since you first posted this..how impatient are you? lol

i have the same issue w/my 204 cooper using a USO 20moa base, i'm using burris signature rings so i'll just put the inserts in there and hope i come out even

I have learned something, if you ask for a signature when delivered, and there's noone to sign, it goes back to a post office to await pickup...grrrr.... n I guess even Ken deserves some time off, as the phone doesn't get answered...next time I'll just insure it n skip the signature n perhaps save myself a few days.

15moa has arrived, fitting perfectly, and now awaiting his Rings. (5 quarters high...lol) I'll have to recheck to see how long before you can post a pic on here.

OK...Ken's rings (medium) clear the barrel, but by less than 1/4". Somehow I threw out my back and have been crippling around being growly with two rifles needing zero'd and I swear I'm ready to put the bench etc. on the 4 wheeler and even if I have to low crawl to get it done! "All a man needs to be happy, is something to be enthusiastic about." (truer words were never spoken)

It took exactly 4 shots to find and drill the middle out of one of those 1" bullseyes. the 15moa base was the answer, using perhaps 8 clicks up from dead bottom to zero out.

Its good to hear you got it to work. That leaves you with 32moa of adjustment, which should get you farther than you would probably try with a .223. I'm going to see about mine today. I just picked up a 12-42 Nightforce BR from Midway today and I have the 20moa Farrel base on my rifle. I'm hoping it works out, but it sounds like I'll be either having a 300 yard zero, or I'll need to order a 15moa base.

Just got back from the range. I'm about 1/4" inch high at 100. I think I'm going to go the same route as you and get the 15 moa mount. How are you liking your scope? I'm very happy with mine.

wow, 1/4" isn't very high! what weight bullet you shooting? Guess it depends on pocketbook vs desire, but I'm sure with some looking around you could even get a custom base of say 17moa ... I love the scope. I'm old n my glasses are thick, but I don't need a spotting scope
wink.gif
are you using a program to calc your distances?

I'm going to buy the 15moa Ken Farrel. I'm shooting 142 smk's. If I end up shooting the 123's and go with a faster load, it will be a little higher than 1/4". I use KAC Bulletflight on my iphone to calculate my data. I shot it a competition yesterday from 100 to 700 and discovered it is on the money. I should be able to get to 1000 yards with 35 moa of drop, so I should be fine with the 15moa base. I agree that the power is a good thing. A 3" paster at 100 yards on 42x looks like a pie plate.