• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

3 mile impacts!

MACHTECH

Say cheese!
Minuteman
  • Feb 12, 2017
    Michigan
    Congratulations to @tnester1 and @Nelsonr2 on their 3 mile impacts! The .416 Barrett Match was the ticket. Thanks again to Rob Vestal for getting the rifle's done in time for the trip.
    IMG_20200803_081406959_HDR.jpg

Screenshot_20200803-055841~2.png

Screenshot_20200803-043149~2.png

Awesome! Great shooting.

Naturally, I'll ask what's next? 3.5 or 4?
    Still waiting on MACHTECH to make his hit. Unfortunately, he was serving as forward spotter yesterday for our success. Ran out of time this trip for him to get his attempt. Couldnt have done it without him though!

At what point does it turn from a rifle into artillery?

I'm honestly a little surprised there aren't setups with the optic completely to the left side of the rifle to allow for unimpeded drastic elevation corrections.

Reactions: MCHOG
    I'm honestly a little surprised there aren't setups with the optic completely to the left side of the rifle to allow for unimpeded drastic elevation corrections.
    The optical correction required to do that would eliminate all adjustability in the scope. The reticle would have to be calibrated to intersect the path of the bullet at one specific point in space rather than be adjustable to differing ranges, windages and elevations.

The optical correction required to do that would eliminate all adjustability in the scope. The reticle would have to be calibrated to intersect the path of the bullet at one specific point in space rather than be adjustable to differing ranges, windages and elevations.

You couldn't run a parallel zero like most do with NVG and lasers? It's also called an infinity zero IIRC.

Reactions: MCHOG and Ledzep
    You couldn't run a parallel zero like most do with NVG and lasers? It's also called an infinity zero IIRC.

same here if its 2" off to the left then zero it 2" off to the left

at 3 miles (which is crazy) no one is aiming the difference

unless it messes with body position and recoil management

what is the TOF that far out?

velocity?

Reactions: MCHOG and Ledzep
    thanks for the pics and the information good luck on future ventures 3 miles that's got to feel pretty dam nice lol.

Exactly. Same as the M1C/M1D, Zfk31/42 and 43, etc. A guy could make a pivoting base with probably 5-10 degrees of elevation before the occular lens got away from your face far enough to be unusable.

Congrats to my brother from another mother @Nelsonr2 for being the first to hit at 3 miles at Rebel Ridge in Kansas!! Now let’s go do it at our “private” range in Michigan!!

Awesome, congrats. Sick rifles. Weight? Must be in the 40 plus range?

At what point does it turn from a rifle into artillery?
    At a lot less than three miles!

Seriously cool engineering here. would love to see some more details on, well, everything!

Also, the wind calls and corrections by the shooters are barely fathomable. All the engineering in the world doesn’t replace a guy who had to figure it out and squeeze the round off.

Very cool stuff. Now, how about 4 miles? Who is on it?

Sirhr

What’s the contour on that truck axel of a barrel on the Cadex.

I am especially interested in the optics reflectors. Custom made? Adapted? Brilliant solution, but I bet a lot more complex than meets the eye. No pun intended.

On ‘artillery,’ I still use a pendulum hausse. And trig tables. Think of the ease of sighting a Tredegar Mountain rifle with one of those setups!

Cheers, Sirhr

Oh and just because someone has to:

1596506036033.jpeg

Reactions: deersniper
    Wow! Awesome accomplishment for all three of you. How many rounds each to get your hits?

I am especially interested in the optics reflectors. Custom made? Adapted? Brilliant solution, but I bet a lot more complex than meets the eye. No pun intended.

On ‘artillery,’ I still use a pendulum hausse. And trig tables. Think of the ease of sighting a Tredegar Mountain rifle with one of those setups!

Cheers, Sirhr

Oh and just because someone has to:

View attachment 7390577
    Charlie tarac macro or the fancy dial version and a delta tarac

Reactions: sirhrmechanic
    How many rounds does it take to make a hit? I am assuming these are not first round cold bore impacts?

So were y’all using the free or paid version of Strelok?

• Haha
    Reactions: Gingernosol
    How many rounds does it take to make a hit? I am assuming these are not first round cold bore impacts?
    That would be a correct assumption. Lol.

I hit on my 15th and last round of my 2nd string. In a 10-15mph highly variable wind, and with a rifle I had never shot, it took me a bit of a learning curve to see how much the wind would effect the bullet.

Reactions: MCHOG and jasent
    tnester1 and I both had cold bore shots though because we only and the funds to load one bullet each and we just sent them with satellite guidance to the target...jk
    We both hit with our 16th shot of the string...:) I couldn’t have done it without the awesome spotting of Machtech and tnester1 :)

What Muzzle Break on that rifle, great pictures congratulations