• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report .30-06 150 grain bullet drop

submoasniper

Private
Minuteman
Jun 20, 2010
Does any one know the bullet drop for a .30-06 150 grain with muzzle velocity of 2,910fps. all i know is 3.6 in. at 200yds. and 13.6 in. at 300yds.

Re: .30-06 150 grain bullet drop

When you're done doing that, take a step back and think about reality as it applies to ballistics.

3.6" or 13.6" may sound all that neat and precise, but the real world doesn't work in precisely that way..., or in fact, in any precise way.

There's also natural dispersion; which means the 3.6" can probably be anywhere from 1 1/2" to 5 1/2", and 13.6 can be anywhere from 10 1/2 to 16 1/2" and so on, and that's a conservative estimate.

My point is that ballistic programs can give you ideal numbers, which then get translated into the real world as close approximations.

Greg

Also, make sure that the numbers you're putting into the program are accurate.

Computers are dumb, they just do what they're told, nothing more, nothing less. If you put in trash numbers you get trash answers.

Which 150gr bullet is it? Is that velocity something you've measured from YOUR rifle with a chrono over a large population (at least 20) of fired rounds?

That data sounds like it was read from the back of a box label.

Because They were from a box label.(I'm super new to the sport)

That's what I figured. Do you know anyone with a chronograph or do you have access to a range that's at least 300y long? It would be better if it was 500 or more, but 300yd can get you some reasonable numbers to work with.

What's the ammo/bullet?