• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 Ackley info and opinions?

jcfd2201

Playing with fire!
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2010
NE Arizona
Anyone have any info or opinions on the 30-06 Ackley?

Thumbing through one of my reloading manuals and came across load data for one and was curious if anyone had played with it.

Re: 30-06 Ackley info and opinions?

From what I've heard (from researching one myself) it only gains about 100fps over the standard .30-06 and makes it similar to a factory .300 H&H load. The benefit to going the Improved route is brass is fired formed from shooting the standard .30-06 loads which would be nice seeing how readily available that brass is, and it seems to do well with slower burn rate powders, launching 180gr bullets around 2800fps. I'm sure others know much more about it than I, and I'd be interested in reading what they have to say as well.

From the limited info I could find it looked like about a 200fps gain with being improved using about 10g less powder for comparable velocities using a 220g bullet. It caught my attention because I was thinking it would be less recoil than one of the magnums.

I have a 30.06 AI. It is a Remington 700. I had it rebarrelled with a 26" Douglas 1/10 twist. I use it for hunting. But have shot it out to 800 yards serveral years ago without any trouble. I was shooting 190 grain SMK's and reloader 22. They hit with considerable authority. My hunting load is 150 grain Barnes xlc's on top of IMR 4831, this load is well under 1/2" at 100 yards and puts em down right now ! I love the chambering , after fire forming case live is great. BTW, my hunting load is pushing that 150 barnes at 3,125 fps. Hope this helped.

Mike

I just inheritted another one making it my second 30-06 AI. This one has got a 26" Lilja 10 twist. Using Lapua brass, we were able to get the 215 Berger Hybrid to 2920 fps with RL22. This load was hard on brass (Lapua)...as can be expected but there wasn't hard bolt lift or major web swelling, just flat primers and a very slight ejector mark. The load was backed off to the next node that yields 2775 fps. Very easy on brass here. H4831sc is the powder I've had the most success with when using heavy bullets.

My experience with the AI version is less brass stretch and roughly 150 FPS increase over the sister case. I treat them like a magnum and use CCI250's or GM215's and slow powders for high load density. I've had great success with them.

Reactions: xsn10s

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">".....we were able to get the 215 Berger Hybrid to 2920 fps with RL22......"

Wow, that's nice! </div></div>

Pretty sure the brass was only good for 2-3 firings at that charge.

Good info guys and thanks for sharing. I am going to keep digging to see what I can find out and may just try it.

That 215gr berger is a really cool bullet. A friend and fellow hide member (Broz) has been shooting them for a while now.

The shorter bearing surface on the 215gr, actually allowed him a gain of 50 fps over the 210gr Berger, in his 300 WinMag.

So, getting over 2900 fps in the 26" 30-06AI may not be pushing the brass as hard as one would think. time will tell, no doubt, as to how the brass holds up.

Reactions: Eddystone

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That 215gr berger is a really cool bullet. A friend and fellow hide member (Broz) has been shooting them for a while now.

The shorter bearing surface on the 215gr, actually allowed him a gain of 50 fps over the 210gr Berger, in his 300 WinMag.

So, getting over 2900 fps in the 26" 30-06AI may not be pushing the brass as hard as one would think. time will tell, no doubt, as to how the brass holds up. </div></div>

I may have to revisit that load based on this info just to see what happens.

Reactions: xsn10s
I know this is an old thread, but over 2900 fps! Less trimming of brass would be enough to get me to try a 30-06 AI. But if I could get over 2850 fps, be easy on brass, not have to trim much I'd be pretty happy. Sounds like something to try with RL26.

Edit: This was in reference to a 215gr Berger load.

Last edited: