• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 ballistics- too fast?

Gs11gk

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2017
Hello everyone.

Been reading quite a bit here the past few weeks and wanted to ask a question related to a curious observation with my 30-06.

i have been loading 57.5 grains of imr 4350 under a Sierra 165 grain HPBT. The rifle is a savage 111, totally stock, with a viper pst 6.5 x 24 scope with a 1/4 MOA click. After zeroing at 100 yards, I took some shots at 200 and 300 yards to determine drop. The drops were about 2.5” and 10” respectively. Groups are about 1.3 MOA.

i then took some more shots- 5 clicks at 200 and 14 clicks at 300. Elevations were seemingly bang on... so I was happy.

i don’t have a chrono so I was attempting to deduce my bulllet speed and create a drop table based on what I observed at 100, 200 and 300 yards. Using the iSnipe app, plugging in the bullet data (165 grains, BC .363) and zero at 100 yards with the scope 2” above the bore, I manipulated the muzzle velocity such that it lined up with the observations. To my surprise, the app suggests my muzzle velocity would need to be 3000 FPS, which is considerably higher than I would expect for this load.

Is this possibly right or am I not accounting for something? I’m wondering if my Tupperware stock is whipping my barrel and pushing it higher than it should. I have a Bell and Carlson stock in the way and will hopefully get a chance to install and shoot next week.’

what do you think?

Thanks. David

I’m going to repost this on the Reliading board as it’s likely a better fit there.