• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30 06 build

Chief Rodger

Private
Minuteman
Oct 18, 2022
Northwest Florida
Guys I'm sure this horse has been beaten to death. But I'm not finding what I'm wanting to know. I've got a friend that is a 300 win mag fan. He's wanting to get to a mile. I want to do it with my old 06. But she's been road hard over the years. So I'm thinking about useing the action to start a new build. I'm thinking Brux barrle in 26 - 28" and looking to get into 300 win magish performance with out the extra 20ish grains of powder. Can I get there. What would be an appropriate bullet and twist rate to get to a mile. Thanks for your time and don't beat me up to bad.

I have not done it but its not all that hard to do. While I love my .30-06's and would never sell them they arn't the best choice for a new build. If you want .30 knock down power then consider a .300 WSM if you just want to ting the steel then consider 6.5 CM.

Side note. I have a crazy friend who used to win bets at the range betting his 06 with 190 had a higher MV than your .300 mag. His trick was loading duplex loads (putting a faster power on top of a slower power. He also had a 26" barrel. If this is you knock yourself out. the 06 will get err done. But understand your why.

If your why is to show your .300 wm friend that you can out shoot him with your ol 06 when its really a brand spanking new 06, that would not be enough why for me. And considering that you can buy the latest American Rifle Company rifle action for about the same money as the premium barrel you're going to put on it I would also give a fair amount of thought to reusing an old action unless it was something special.

I guess a little more info would probably help. The 30 06 rifle is a 70's era Remington 700. I've owned it for 40 years. I do reload and play around in some local PRS style matches. Well sort of. I've shot in one. Besides being inexperienced in the game I'm shooting a Remington 700 PSS .308. So, I'm out gunned as well. Currently having a 6 GT built to help in that area. I'll keep banging away with the .308 till the Gt is done.

Remage barrel that has been cut with a Serengeti reamer, or any way to cut the throat longer. Hand loaded ammo with the best brass you can find and some sort of long, solid copper bullets. This should get you most of the way there

I have not done it but its not all that hard to do. While I love my .30-06's and would never sell them they arn't the best choice for a new build. If you want .30 knock down power then consider a .300 WSM if you just want to ting the steel then consider 6.5 CM.

Side note. I have a crazy friend who used to win bets at the range betting his 06 with 190 had a higher MV than your .300 mag. His trick was loading duplex loads (putting a faster power on top of a slower power. He also had a 26" barrel. If this is you knock yourself out. the 06 will get err done. But understand your why.

If your why is to show your .300 wm friend that you can out shoot him with your ol 06 when its really a brand spanking new 06, that would not be enough why for me. And considering that you can buy the latest American Rifle Company rifle action for about the same money as the premium barrel you're going to put on it I would also give a fair amount of thought to reusing an old action unless it was something special.
Why is probably question I should ask myself. I should probably just leave it like it is. But where's the fun in that. I don't have any real attachment to the rifle. I even traded it for a fairly new at the time 7400 Automatic 30 06. Wish I'd have kept that. It wasn't all that, but it was the first rifle I bought myself. I guess I just thinking the 700 action would be a good starting point. I do have a tendency to throw good money at bad ideas.

Don't chase velocity. If you want 300WM speeds, just rechamber it to a mag caliber (gonna need a new bolt). But 1 mile with 30-06 is doable. Get a high bc bullet like a 185-200 and go to town. Nothing saying you can rechamber to 6.5 PRC or some sort of 7 mil

If you want to stick to 30-06:

Do like a remage barrel, 26 inch and while not perfect, it'll get there. Then when someone 'ok boomers' you, whip out the 06 and ring steel at 1 mile

Flex nuts

Repeat

I am going to work up a new 208 eld m load for my 06 at 2700 should be supersonic until 1675 yards. You have to use some heavy pills to get there but with the right powder it can be done

Reactions: Chief Rodger
There is a guy on another forum that claims using a 30" barrel on a long action he gets a 200SMK @ 2850 FPS using
308 with a long throat and 2000MR powder. Needed 7.31 mil to 1000 with a 100 yard zero.

3006 has a bigger boiler so with a long throat and a long barrel it should be a fine shooter.

There is a guy on another forum that claims using a 30" barrel on a long action he gets a 200SMK @ 2850 FPS using
308 with a long throat and 2000MR powder. Needed 7.31 mil to 1000 with a 100 yard zero.

3006 has a bigger boiler so with a long throat and a long barrel it should be a fine shooter.
Yeah with a decent throat the 208eld has impressive .690 bc

At what altitude I wonder. Just running the numbers on Strelok using the weather data from my last trip to my just above sealevel home range (Altus) its 8.4 mil to 1000. Thats still way better than 11.3 that 175 SMK @ 2649 out of my 308. It's an older PSS with 1;12 twist. It's got close to 3500 rounds through it now. I can't throw anything heavier till it's time for a new barrel. And that day is rapidly approaching now that I'm shooting again. I'll go 1;10 when I have it swapped out.

God bless the 06.
1676696812024.gif

Guys I'm sure this horse has been beaten to death. But I'm not finding what I'm wanting to know. I've got a friend that is a 300 win mag fan. He's wanting to get to a mile. I want to do it with my old 06. But she's been road hard over the years. So I'm thinking about useing the action to start a new build. I'm thinking Brux barrle in 26 - 28" and looking to get into 300 win magish performance with out the extra 20ish grains of powder. Can I get there. What would be an appropriate bullet and twist rate to get to a mile. Thanks for your time and don't beat me up to bad.
The 06 will do 2800-2850fps with 215s and a 28”Bbl. It’s a pretty legit long range plinker but no way it’s going to match a win Mag unless your good with only getting one firing out of your brass.

Only way to get there on an 06 case head would be to do a 30gibbs or Sherman based off of the slightly longer 270win case.

Not sure if you've tried to work up a 30-06 load using H4831sc and 208eld, but I was getting 2800 fps using that combo out of a 28" bbl. I was hitting targets at 1 mile and primer pockets weren't loosening up until after 10 loadings on winchester brass. 1 mile targets at thunder valley a couple years ago. He's upgraded his 1 mile area since this pic was taken.
IMG_20180802_164836462_HDR.jpg

Not sure if you've tried to work up a 30-06 load using H4831sc and 208eld, but I was getting 2800 fps using that combo out of a 28" bbl. I was hitting targets at 1 mile and primer pockets weren't loosening up until after 10 loadings on winchester brass. 1 mile targets at thunder valley a couple years ago. He's upgraded his 1 mile area since this pic was taken.View attachment 8192616
I've actually abandoned the idea. I'm just going to let the old 30-06 stay the way it was built. I'll keep it delegated as my hunting rig. I'm currently building a 6 GT for PRS style competitions at my local range. I'm also looking for a 7 something, leaning toward Rem Mag for longer range shooting. I'm letting my bank account recover for the 6 GT first. However, thats still ongoing. Just purchased an Impact 737R action in anticipation of the Proof barrel being delivered. My .308 PSS rifle is currently living in a Manners PRS 2 stock, that is intended for the GT. Once the GT's barreled action is complete the PSS is being evicted. It might have to give up it's glass for a bit as well. So the magnum boomer is still in R&D waiting on finance. Thanks for the reply.

Reactions: Tcorb734