• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.30-06 help

eizenjin

Private
Minuteman
Oct 5, 2011
Phoenix, Arizona
Hello, first post on this forum. I have been a long time shooter of both carbines and pistols however recently I have been getting in to long range shooting. I have had a Remington 700 .30-06 for a number of years as a deer gun however it was a #3 contour barrel and the original stock. I am upgrading the gun with a krieger barrel, bedding it in to a mcmillan a-5 stock and a timney trigger. My question is this: should i use the original bottom metal that it came with or (as i would prefer) is there a good manufacturer of bottom metal with a detachable box mag. I have looked at badger and a number of others but many of the long actions are only for .300 win or .308. I appreciate all of the advice and as I am new to long range shooting I hope this is not an incredibly dumb question.

Re: .30-06 help

There is only a slight difference in length from 06 to 300wm. I think its somewhere around .006 difference.

Shoot what you have and then make changes, to what you feel you need. It doesnt have to be the absolute rifle just yet. Learn on it and make educated choices as to what else you may want to do with it.

Sinclair sells a tool to modify (bend) the feed lips on the AICS 300 WM magazines to run the 30-06.

Then they feed like butter. It's a little "fiddle-some" without the tool but it can be done. With the tool it's easy.

Just finished my 06 build 3 weeks ago. You will need the 300win mag aics magazine. I used a machine vise to close the gap between the feed lips. Feeds like a dream. Remember to make the rear gap smaller than the front. Also what reamer are you using for the chamber?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sinclair sells a tool to modify (bend) the feed lips on the AICS 300 WM magazines to run the 30-06.

Then they feed like butter. It's a little "fiddle-some" without the tool but it can be done. With the tool it's easy. </div></div>

Can you provide a link to that tool? I can't find it anywhere.

glad to see im not the only guy that likes the traditional 30-06...i just built one useing badgers m4 bottom metal, with a 28 inch remington varmint barrel profile...