• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 information

Zachn131

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2019
Trying to see what are some options for how far I can push a 30-06 bullet or seeing what people’s opinion are? As I have a fairly decent knowing of 308 but seems 30-06 with it wide range of factory bullet options. It seems the round drop significantly at 500 meters and beyond. One have any other experience with trying to push a 30-06 farther?

Anything the 308 does the 06 will do. And then some. As well as recoil.

155/175 gr SMKs will work good enough up to 1k in 308. But then there is the 300 Win Mag that does it even better.

If you have a 30-06 and want to push it a bit, do it. You'll learn a lot. Getting one to do the same might be dubious since there are better options.

Fair enough and I have a 308 used it for years before during and after military service. I have a 300 win mag and know how fair I can push that and I acquired a 30-06 and was doing research on what the bullet can do. I appreciate the insight and I will see what this thing and dish out and with no muzzle break with factory 180s and definitely thumps thats for sure!

30-06 with 175-180 should make a good long range combo. A bit faster than 308, so it will be flatter and less wind. Just make sure you have a 20 or 30 MOA mount or rail as the drop will add up past 500. You could also dabble in the 190's if you are trying 1000 yards, but it will have more drop just less wind drift. I have shot mine out to 600 with 165 sst's, worked fine. Did good for a factory hunting rifle (Winchester model 70).

Reactions: RMB
Are we needing effective game killing ballistics at a given range or just hitting a metal plate accurately?

Nice good intel and my 3006 is 670 that I got and have tuned the trigger and might bed the lug and tang... but I definitely have shot just over 1 inch groups with that thing. I have sub moa rifles I have built and think that would get it to that level. Granted the rifle is pretty much stock minus the trigger work I did to it.

There is a member that used his 06 for 2000 yards. Do a search for 06 stuff.

The 30-06 was only limited by powder of the time and the pressure the barrel could take. You can work a 30-06 load up that can really move if you want it to, very underrated caliber using modern powders. Like wisely said before the 180 grain is a great long range bullet and will kill anything you want on this continent.

Trying to see what are some options for how far I can push a 30-06 bullet or seeing what people’s opinion are? As I have a fairly decent knowing of 308 but seems 30-06 with it wide range of factory bullet options. It seems the round drop significantly at 500 meters and beyond. One have any other experience with trying to push a 30-06 farther?
Obviously you've never read these books

Attachments

• 20201210_182139.jpg
    20201210_182139.jpg
    429.7 KB · Views: 62
Reactions: DubfromGA
Obviously you've never read these books
I know all about Carlos aka white feather and know he used a 3006 during those times. However with all the modern shit out there these days wanted to know what the round is actually capable of. Granted enough time behind your weapon you are going to get good with it. And at that time (Vietnam era) it is not like today’s modern tech with weapons and powders to 50 years ago. I will keep diving more into the 06. I have shot my fair share of long range weapons this was a new project that got dumped in my lap.

Do not underestimate the -06. Push high BC bullets at appropriate velocities and be happy.

I've spent considerable time shooting an accurate '06 loaded with H4350 & 208g AMax at all ranges out to 1780. Same rifle has flattened game all around the western US. Performance is terrific and has opened a lot of eyes for those that would pass over the this cartridge. It's one of my most trusted and reliable rifles.

Fair enough and I have a 308 used it for years before during and after military service. I have a 300 win mag and know how fair I can push that and I acquired a 30-06 and was doing research on what the bullet can do. I appreciate the insight and I will see what this thing and dish out and with no muzzle break with factory 180s and definitely thumps thats for sure!
For me the 06 is an excellent hunting round and there is no doubt there is precision in it as well.
It's just that I have a hard time seeing myself enjoying heavy bullet load development for ultimate precision, especially in a hunting rifle.
But I'm just weak I suppose... 😁

Look for posts on it here by Montana Marine.

longer barrel (28') was running a 190 right near 300WM speeds.

It was a while ago. search the site and you will find it.

what barrel you having installed? Chamber? I’m going to go with a Douglas and a Serengeti chamber on mine.

Douglas Premium, 1:10, chamber for M72/175 SMK match loadings.

Its been a saga that started in 2017 and has 8 pages in the Vintage section.

use 208-215 grain bullet and a slow burning powder, it gets the ‘06 into low end WM territory.
698E052F-A238-431B-86E5-89C0DFAEDCA7.jpeg

The 06 has my heart. She will give you so much. I can't think of a more versatile cartridge. She can load down to varmint bullets and run them screaming fast or load heavies to kill big critters further than you ought to be shooting at them. She will do so without beating you to death or using an obscene amount of powder. Her history can't be denied. She has given birth to so many wildcats that have gone on to become household standards. I've got to think that she still holds the record for most US enemies killed. From the 03 to the Garand to the model 70's to 700's in Vietnam a lot of sum bitches have fallen to her name. God bless the 30-06.

168 TTSX over 50.4 gns Varget has been a hammer in 4 different rifles I have loaded for friends. In one of them it did have slight pressure signs (start at 48 and work up) but was still very accurate. In the A-bolt it shoots 5/8 MOA and has smacked the shit out of many a 10" plate out to 1000.

Considering that the 308 was developed as a means to reduce individual infantryman's ammo loadout weight and bulk while retaining as much as possible of the '06's ballistic performance, the '06 remains the Big Daddy of the traditional USA service cartridges. I carried and fired both the M-1 and M-14 in the service, then owned an M1a and M-1 in subsequent civilian life. The M1a is gone. There was a cash crunch, and it was the most saleable item in the inventory.

I missed the M1a, but by the time I was in a position to acquire more guns, it was priced clear through my own personal roof.

The 308 did a good job, while it was permitted to; but it was retired long before its dotage by efforts to economize and reduce ammo weight/bulk even more. Can't change history, but that didn't serve my desires for a 308 service-suitable rifle. Slow to awaken to modern products, I finally acquired a PSA PA-10 20" 308, and IMHO, it's at least as good for my personal purposes as the M1a it replaced.

I doubt I will ever part willingly with my Garand.

So where does the 30-06 excel? It does better at the farther reaches of the trajectory, with reduced drop/drift, and potentially more terminal performance (more powder in equals more power out). I'd say the break even point occurs at around 600yd, with the '06 taking over beyond that. I could have the yardage off by about a 100yd or so.

I can't shoot the 300WM due to surgical legacy issues, but would be confident shooting the 30-'06 in situations where the 300WM is customary.

We used to have a 30-'06 exponent here, Userid USSR, who achieved some remarkably effective 30-'06 handloads that bordered on 300WM performance. Sadly, USSR has not been seen on this forum since 2012. Don was a personal friend, and some time before I moved o/o NY, I lost touch.

Greg

Last edited: