• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 Long Range Loads

tlfeathers

Private
Minuteman
Nov 30, 2012
Powell, Wyoming
What would you recommend for bullet weight/type and powder to work up loads for 30-06 to be used out to its maximum effective range on deer and elk sized game? I am considering a build in this caliber and want to be able to maximize the potential of the cartridge. Any help would be appreciated. Anything else I need to consider?

Re: 30-06 Long Range Loads

190 SMK's and H4350....pop it with a CCI 250.

Freight trains whitetails at distance....

You could try 208's...I did, twice, in a 1:9.5 twist...didn't like 'em.

When it comes to 185s, 190s or 200s what is the nuances of difference? Or is it just preference? I hear all of them recommended for long range work but I'm not sure what the deciding factors are other than preference?

185s are as heavy as Im willing to go in my 24" rifle (Im sure 190s aren't much diferent) due to the fact that the 30-06 just doesn't have the umph to launch the heavier 30cal bullets at good enough velocities to maintain enough down range energy and velocity for good bullet expansion on game. I guess a lot has to due with how long your barrel is. If you had like a 30" barrel and loaded some 210gr bullets with some slower powder you would probably be able to inprove the velocity just a thought.

175 SMK over 57ish grains of RL-17 and a Tula LRM primer are doing good things for me in the accuracy department...YMMV.

I have not considered trying them on live varmints, but I imagine that they would do pretty well.

I was only able to get the ol' 30-06 up to 2670 FPS with the 208 A-MAX. Seems like the 175-190 range works best in this case.

Thanks for the information, it helps in considering the features of my build. One of the things I was wondering about is how to match barrel length, to powder burn rate to get optimum performance from the round and what bullet weight would work best. Thanks for sharing your experience, feel free to continue to do so!

My two current loads for my 30-06 24" barrel.

185 VLD / H4350 around 2810fps.
208 amax / Ramshot Hunter 2700 fps.

I've only tested the 185 and get sub moa out to 830 yards.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Deathwobble</div><div class="ubbcode-body">185s are as heavy as Im willing to go in my 24" rifle (Im sure 190s aren't much diferent) due to the fact that the 30-06 just doesn't have the umph to launch the heavier 30cal bullets at good enough velocities to maintain enough down range energy and velocity for good bullet expansion on game. I guess a lot has to due with how long your barrel is. If you had like a 30" barrel and loaded some 210gr bullets with some slower powder you would probably be able to inprove the velocity just a thought. </div></div>

Um, okay.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunsnjeeps</div><div class="ubbcode-body">German Salazar has a lot of good info on load developement and work up for the .30-06.

Here's someplace to start. You'll find info on several powders and bullets in different articles.

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com/2012/05/cartridges-accuracy-secrets-of-30-06.html</div></div>

Thanks for the link, that is the kind of information I need to sort through all the issues related to barrel specs and the best load. Now I have some more reading to do!

You're welcome. There are several good articles if you have a few hours to go through the whole blog.

Salazar's articles are very helpful, however since he is loading for long range competition he is using target bullets. I am primarily looking at a hunting application with my practice using the same ammo I hunt with. I am considering the Nosler 200 grain Accubond, Sierra 200 gr Game King, or Hornady 190 gr Interlock. What kind of impact velocity is necessary for these bullets to perform? I want to make sure I spec my barrel that I can deliver these bullets to that range with enough left in them to get the job done.

The 210 Berger LRBT and VLD and the 208 Amax are the three bullets that I'd start with, Amax's would be #1 due to the cost.

My 26" barrel with H4350 gets 2700-2720 from Win brass, H4831sc gives me 2750, and RL22 gives me 2790 in warmer temps, 2720 in cold temps.

I haven't tried RL17 but I've heard some great things about it.

The effective range on white-tails is 1000yd+ at those velocities. For elk, it depends what you want on tap and who you believe about min energy and momentum necessary.

It's an easy 750yd load for elk IMO

Second the 210 berger and 208 amax. Something to bear in mind is the minimum velocity requirement for bullets to expand. The 208 amax has a lower velocity requirement to expand than other traditional hunting bullets of different construction. Somewhere around 1300-1500fps. Which is beneficial when taking things at longer ranges. Of course shot placement is key as always, but you'll do better at longer ranges with the berger or the amax vs say an accubond.

Now up closer up to say 500 yards the 200gr nosler accubond would be a great choice especially on larger animals. Beyond that you'll be on the brink of reliable expansion due to the decrease in velocity.

I've cleanly taken caribou at just over 500 yards with the 208 amax, I would feel comfortable taking caribou or moose at 700 yards with the 208 or 210 berger in the 06 running 2650-2700fps.

I hadn't considered the AMAX because its a match bullet but what you say makes sense. What kind of reports do you hear regarding performance on heavy game like elk? How is the penetration? Weight retention?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tlf1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I hadn't considered the AMAX because its a match bullet but what you say makes sense. What kind of reports do you hear regarding performance on heavy game like elk? How is the penetration? Weight retention? </div></div>

Another member here, muleman IIRC, collected a 7x7 Bull with his 300WM from 785yd, single shot kill. It was a medium load at 2850fps and he said that it was a bang-flop shot. Expansion was good and it retained more than 150gr of the initial weight.

I've recovered only 1 of my 6.5 140 Amax's from a deer, it was shot with my 6.5CM @ 2800+ and impacted 425yd away. It expanded, the core and jacket separated and vaporized both lungs. Bang-flopping on the ground.

I've not recovered a 178 or 208 Amax from a deer sized animal when shot with a 30-06, they hit like a freight train and passed through.

That's good to know, it sounds like maybe it all comes down to shot placement, but we already knew that. Perhaps the AMAX is the answer, since it costs less I can afford to practice more and if I practice more my shot placement gets better.

The Amax is a good bullet. Stay away from head or shoulder shots on brown bears and you'll be fine. I like the 200gr accubond for really thick and dangerous game such as the brownies.

I shot a nice bull caribou out of my .30-06 using the 208 amax at over 500 yards. Dropped it right where it stood no problems. Shot was quartering away, Bullet was recovered in the opposite shoulder and expanded well. weighed about 190grs if I remember correctly. I wish i had pictures of it.

I used the 200gn nosler last year. Blew a softball size hole in front shoulder of this fucker
yju5e9ab.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

In my B78 browning 30-06 I use

H4831SC with the Berger 210 VLD hunting and Norma brass with WLRM primer @ 57.5

Last edited:
Salazar's articles are very helpful, however since he is loading for long range competition he is using target bullets. I am primarily looking at a hunting application with my practice using the same ammo I hunt with. I am considering the Nosler 200 grain Accubond, Sierra 200 gr Game King, or Hornady 190 gr Interlock. What kind of impact velocity is necessary for these bullets to perform? I want to make sure I spec my barrel that I can deliver these bullets to that range with enough left in them to get the job done.
I would definitely take the 200gr Sierra Gameking over the 200 NAB. No doubt. Its cheaper, with a better BC (can't believe!), and does very well on game. People here use them in their 300WM's on Gemsbuck to great effect. However I use a 208gr A-max in my own little 22.5" 30-06 and am very impressed. Velocity a mere 2565fps. Even on the tough Wildebeest at 297yds the weight retension was 66%. Accuracy is about 0.75MOA out to 600yds, but my gun is very, very light with a thin barrel.

For targets I also use 185gr Berger VLD's out to 1000yds.
56.3gr S365 (H4350) for 2720fps
Took two very nice gemsbuck bulls and a wildebeest this year with them. Nothing long range though.
uguzameb_zps836e4741.jpg
ypuna6y9_zps5509c263.jpg
uhyne4a8_zps36d4934f.jpg

Last edited:
THanks for the link, I scanned it and it looks helpful. Since I originally posted this I had decided to try the Hornady 208 A-Max and the Berger 210 VLD Hunting bullet.
As soon as my stock gets in we can complete the rifle and try them out.

In terms of long range hunting, that would also be my preference, and also in that order. The 208 A-max is awesome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks everyone for sharing your knowledge. I'm building an LRP rifle based on an old Rem 700 ADL action, Heavy Rem 30-06 barrel 1:10, MDT LSS-XL chassis, 3 port Muzzle brake, Magpul AR style stock and tube, Hogue pistol grip, MDT metal mags, pull on recoil pad (I have long arms), Leupold 20 MOA rail, Vortex Diamondback Tactical 4-16X FFP scope and it's all coming together tomorrow!? I was thinking up loads for it and had settled on 4350 pwdr, CCI primers, Federal cases, 190gn SMKs which sounds similar to many of the loads on here. Does anyone feel I'm being ambitious to want to get this setup out to 1000m? If so honest criticism is welcome. I have a 6.5CM Howa I'm working on too. And I have some 168gn .30 cal ELD-Ms I was considering for the .30-06 or maybe save them for my SSG69PII?

I am afraid the 30/06 being the outdated old guy cartridge it is, is not capable of long range fire. ?

Do you already have the 190 SMK? There are a lot of 180 class bullets with a better BC than the 190 SMK. The 190 SMK will get you to 1k just fine. The 200ELD or 178 ELD might be a little more forgiving in the wind.

I am afraid the 30/06 being the outdated old guy cartridge it is, is not capable of long range fire. ?

Do you already have the 190 SMK? There are a lot of 180 class bullets with a better BC than the 190 SMK. The 190 SMK will get you to 1k just fine. The 200ELD or 178 ELD might be a little more forgiving in the wind.
I bought 500 of them on sale about 6 years ago for a price too good to pass on so I can get a lot of loads made up in the 300 or so Fed brass. Plenty of practice makes perfect. There's a guy who shoots them in his 7.5x55 Swiss ELR on YouTube and says they transition well to subsonic. And TibRex likes them.

I bought 500 of them on sale about 6 years ago for a price too good to pass on so I can get a lot of loads made up in the 300 or so Fed brass. Plenty of practice makes perfect. There's a guy who shoots them in his 7.5x55 Swiss ELR on YouTube and says they transition well to subsonic. And TibRex likes them.
This being a necro thread and Mister T-Rex aside...

I am currently using:
190SMK's
58.8 grains AA4350 (burns closer to 4831)
Federal brass
CCI 250's
OAL 3.310"

From a 22" sendero taper target barrel, I am getting 2,730 fps and taking it to 1,200 yards without issue.

This being a necro thread and Mister T-Rex aside...

I am currently using:
190SMK's
58.8 grains AA4350 (burns closer to 4831)
Federal brass
CCI 250's
OAL 3.310"

From a 22" sendero taper target barrel, I am getting 2,730 fps and taking it to 1,200 yards without issue.
Awesome, sounds good, I shall give it a try!