• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

30-06 Precision Rigs

broylz

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 15, 2010
Gallatin, TN
I am really wanting to build a Remington 700 in 30-06 and have read more about a resurgence of popularity amongst some, maybe im just researching more :)
I am just somewhat hesitant about selling the 308 I have now but couldn't afford to keep both right now and would like to get rid of the savage for another Remington. Please post pics of your builds in 30-06 to help push me in the right direction.

I just dropped a rifle (270), AICS 1.5chassis, rock .30 barrel and some other goodies off at the smith yesterday. I can't wait for her to come back, 90 day or so wait. I liked the ballistics of the 300Wm but I don't like the barrel life, the '06 will come real close with better barrel life. Now I need to find some 208 AMAXs so he can cut an excat match for the chamber...

Specs:
Action: Win Model 70 Long
Stock: Bedded McMillan A3
Base: Badger 20moa
Rings: Vortex Precision Low
Scope: NF 5.5-22 Mil/Mil
Bipod: Harris 9-13"

Ray at PRT just built three precision .30-06's for me and my partner, plus himself. We all used Remington actions and McM A5's with Brux barrels. Ray's and mine were 22 inches and 9sigman's was finished at 26 inches all were threaded. MTU contour all. Badger rails and M4 bottoms. Mine has an old Rem trigger, 9sigman's may be a Jewell by now. All hammers. Set up for 208 Amax but mine shoots well with 175SMKs and 155 Amax. Rifles should be in Ray's tent at Woody's Match next weekend. AG

Ghostface - thats the same reasons ive been looking at 30-06. "will cover 90% of what a 300 win mag will do without the extra muzzle blast, recoil, and short barrel life" is the way it was described to me.

Willyz54 - nice rifle, thanks for posting.

asbestosglove - if you can, i would love to see a pic of the riles. i too am planning a r700 with an AMU-ish contour. been looking at Krieger MTU barrels lately but havent set to any brand specifically. I would also be very curious as to the muzzle velocity loss between 26" and 22" if thats at all possible? im sure its similar to a 308 at 24" and 20" but would like to see the data.

If they would only come up with a new name for the cartrige, like 30 non belted magnum. Yeah, thats the ticket. It used to be the 30-06 was enough gun for anything, now as I hear it, it ain't enough or it is too much, the .308 does it all so much better. But the 30 non belted magnum on the other hand, it kicks ass - and is not a 300 Win mag, less recoil blah, blah, blah -

Im building my 30-06 with 1-10tw oby barrel, 700 long action, BDL steal floor plate, A1-3 normal fill, 24.5" barrel with removable break, USO 3.2-17x.

[MENTION=32632]STR[/MENTION] put a post of one he built a couple months ago. Do a search and take a look at his build ... it's quite nice and should at least provide you a couple ideas. I think 30-06 is great compromise between 308 and 300 Win Mag. Good luck on your build!

While I don't have a custom one, I can say that if I had to have only one caliber it would be a 30-06. I've had both 30-06's and .308's and while I know some guys will say they like the .308 better, I don't. I've never been able to warm up to one. The 30-06 does everything the .308 does, but does it better. The only downside is a longer action which doesn't bother me. I think you will really enjoy a 06.

R700.jpg

Remington 700 ADL .30-06
Random gun show bipod that I most likely overpaid for
Sling from Cabelas that I probably overpaid for as well
Seekins 20 MOA base
LaRue LT-111 QD Mount w/ 34 mm rings
Scope - some old thing I dug out of my closet and slapped on my rifle

While I don't have a custom one, I can say that if I had to have only one caliber it would be a 30-06. I've had both 30-06's and .308's and while I know some guys will say they like the .308 better, I don't. I've never been able to warm up to one. The 30-06 does everything the .308 does, but does it better. The only downside is a longer action which doesn't bother me. I think you will really enjoy a 06.

this is a big part of my thought process as well. after 10 years in the military and a desire for a tactical arsenal, I got to love the 308 in the m14 and have stuck with it in bolt actions as well but lately I have taken a step back from the battle rifles and such and have decided to slow down a bit. I have gotten a new found respect for the 357 magnum as a good all around cartridge for my uses locally as well as the 30-06 from a local user and hunting aspect.

I'm currently in the middle of my Remington 700 in 30-06 build. Waiting on the mount rail for the scope now (back order).

Still need a bipod and a trip to Bert for some mods.

Pics to follow.

[MENTION=32632]STR[/MENTION] put a post of one he built a couple months ago. Do a search and take a look at his build ... it's quite nice and should at least provide you a couple ideas. I think 30-06 is great compromise between 308 and 300 Win Mag. Good luck on your build!

I'll save you the trouble. I don' even know how to look up my own post, so I'll rpost. I waited for ever to build a 30-06 for myself. I wish I had done it sooner. Here is mine. I hope it pushes you off the mountain. Do it.

And to think, I thought I was the odd man out. Hopefully within a month I'll be posting up pics of one Russell @ Scout Supply will be putting together for me. I'm debating cerakote colors and whether to leave the bolt knob alone or not now. I've been collecting parts (mostly on the hide, thanks guys!) for a while now
Specs will be:
trued 700 action
massaged old style trigger (I think I have the old one anyway)
24" Rock 5r 11.27 M24 profile chambered with PTG Serengeti reamer
JP Bennie Cooley brake, large profile
Harris bipod w/ pod claws
Triad Stock Pack
Turner sling
steel 0moa scope base, burris zee rings w/ offset inserts to gain elevation
Weaver Grand Slam 3.5-10x10 duplex (not the tactical one made in Philippines, older one made in Japan, I love these scopes)

I'll save you the trouble. I don' even know how to look up my own post, so I'll rpost. I waited for ever to build a 30-06 for myself. I wish I had done it sooner. Here is mine. I hope it pushes you off the mountain. Do it.

Whats the barrel specs on that guy?

is there anything the '06 cant do? my brother and uncle hunt with the old 06 and it kills deer and elk just as dead as my 300 short mag.....

Ray at PRT just built three precision .30-06's for me and my partner, plus himself. We all used Remington actions and McM A5's with Brux barrels. Ray's and mine were 22 inches and 9sigman's was finished at 26 inches all were threaded. MTU contour all. Badger rails and M4 bottoms. Mine has an old Rem trigger, 9sigman's may be a Jewell by now. All hammers. Set up for 208 Amax but mine shoots well with 175SMKs and 155 Amax. Rifles should be in Ray's tent at Woody's Match next weekend. AG

Nope, no trigger change yet, gonna give it fair shake.

Older Remy 700 LA
26" MTU Brux 1:10
PWS brake
Badger base, M4 bottom metal & rings
Timney trigger
McMillan A5 in Forrest camo
NXS 8-32x56mm NP-R1
Harris bipod

Still working on load development with 175 SMK. Trying to find some 208's in-stock somewhere as that's the intended pill.

Last edited:
Mine goes like this. I bought a 270 from another Hide member for $425.00, Trued it, and replaced the lug with a Tubbs. I also replaced the bolt with a PTG bolt. The barrel is a Bartlein with a 1 in 10 twist and six flutes finished at 24 inches from the recoil lug. It measures 1.200 at the cylinder, and has a staight taper to .850 at the muzzle. The brake is an APA Little Bastard. The stock is a McMillan HTG in 50% black and 50% green which I bought used for $400.00 from another Hide member in awesome shape. The trigger is a Timney, which is all I use on field rifles of mine anymore. The camo pattern came way of some shrubs in the front garden. I use Cerakote for the finish on all the metal.

The rifle's first outing was at Manatee shooting range where I managed to take it out to 1000 yards consistently. Hitting the 5 inch spinners at 565 yards was no problem almost every time. When I did miss, it was my bad call on the wind which can be a bitch at that place. The rifle truly does shoot great, and it is better than the 308 with about the same recoil with the brake. I shoot the AMAX 178s out of it using Winchester brass, nothing fancy. The ring set up is a pair of Talley one piece rings with a Leupold 8.5-25 X. I started out with a 20 MOA base, but that put the scope too high for good eye line up while my face was welded to the comb. Everything doesn't have to be full on tactical, so I made the change, and it was great.

BTW, don't get me wrong, please. I have 308s, 6.5s, and 223s. Just really like the 30-06 a lot.

Anyone have to tweak their AI mags for the '06? The one mag that I have will not hold a '06 case, I'm sure I'm going to have to bend the feed lips but will I have to trim them back too?

Step one is done :) picked up a R700 30-06 ADL today. got rid of the savage. now I have to wait until I find another job before any further progress comes. will be able to work up a load for this and hunt with it as is though.

Here's my build: It started life as a Remington 700 30-06 BDL with a wood stock and lightweight sporter barrel. It's been transformed with the following upgrades:
- Stock replaced with Mcrees Precision Long Action
- Pistol grip changed to Ergo grip with Palm Shelf
- Receiver and Bolt has been blueprint accurized
- Bolt drilled, tapped, and pinned and Bolt Knob Replaced by Phoenix Custom Rifles
- Krieger 5R SS Barrel 25" with a Surefire Brake which allows me attach to my QD suppressor
- Action, Bolt, Barrel Cerakoted flat black
- Timney trigger, 2.5 lbs
- 20 MOA Scope Base
- Temporary Scope was replaced with a Leupold Mark 4, LRT M1 8.5-25x50mm. I also attached a Barrett ballistic optical ranging system (BORS) with Barrett zero gap rings.

Build completed early summer 2012. Currently shooting optimal accuracy loads of 175 SMKs at 2932 FPS.

Last edited:
Digging the 3006. I have always had one and had this 80s vintage M70 built into a precision rifle.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 41
anyone else?

I read that the M24 SWS was originally intended to be a 30-06, and therefore is a long action. the 300WM is an afterthought that a lot of people say was the reason to go long action initially.

Im currently debating whether I want to build a M24-ish rifle as it was intended, heavy m24 contour, shooting 190gr loads, maybe the 208 A-max...

OR

a lighter varmint contour hunting rifle still capable of long range hunting...

Probably gain +150 from 308 to 30-06, and another +150 from the 30-06 to the 300, if I had to guess off the top of my head.

Thanks GhostFace. I'm using AICS Mags that were made for 300WM. I spoke with Scott Mcree when I got his chassis and he said he would modify the mags for me. Basically he regaps the feed lips to .400 at the rear and .405-.410 at the front of the mags. My magazines feed flawlessly -- never had a jam or double-feed issue.

thanks flashfire. that's good info to know. still debating if I want DM capability or not. I did like it on my .308 but I also got 10 rounds in there...

that's nice.
saw another pre-64 model 70 locally with a sporter barrel on it. guy wanted a pretty penny for it though.

I just finished a build, Rem 700 on an Ashbury Precision Ordnance Saber Forsst Mod 1 Chassis, Jake Brake on the end of the barrel (for my quicksand suppressor), timney trigger, and a Nightforce Zero Stop NHS 5.5x22X56. So far it cost me about $6,000. Still need to get a good barrel but the wait time is a bit insane at the moment so I am still sporting the factory 700 barrel. Shoots sub MOA at 300yrds so I am not complaining.

I chose 30-06 for this build over 308 because of the modern powders that let you get the most of of the 30-06 case and as a result I am hand loading rounds that are within 150 fps of 300 win mag.

When you consider you can get old military (LC) brass in 30-06 for less than the cost of newer LC 308 (because of the lack of demand), it keeps the cost to feed the rifle down and you get near 300 Win mag velocities. What's not to love about it?

30-06 also lets you shoot heavier bullet weights that are not practical for the 308 so there is an added plus.

Sorry I don't have a picture but you can find a pic of the APO chassis online, the rest you can picture on your own.

If they would only come up with a new name for the cartrige, like 30 non belted magnum. Yeah, thats the ticket. It used to be the 30-06 was enough gun for anything, now as I hear it, it ain't enough or it is too much, the .308 does it all so much better. But the 30 non belted magnum on the other hand, it kicks ass - and is not a 300 Win mag, less recoil blah, blah, blah -

lol dude, I've been calling it the "308 Long Mag" for about a year now. The people who know, laugh. and the people who don't.....

.30-06 Rigs

There's a few of us out here. Because, there ain't much that can't be fixed, with a little bit of love or a .30-06......... Here's mine.

Attachments

• P9040006-1.jpg
    P9040006-1.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 49
Not a tactical type rifle...more of a precision hunter...but it is a 30-06.

FN made Winchester model 70 (used to be an Ultimate Shadow)
McMillan Supergrade stock bedded in MarineTex
Stock trigger tuned and tweaked by me...its pretty sweet!
Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44mm scope

Don't let the skinny barrel fool you...this rifle means business!

2012-11-16_14-47-36_692.jpg

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
3006 precision

Here's mine. Optic has changed to IOR 3.5-18 since this pic.
8e4ytuze.jpg

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Can you give some insight to this build? I am thinking about an upgrade to one of my remmys