• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

30/06 PRIMER SIZE?

DocLes

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2012
ARKANSAS
I was sitting here at my desk looking over some brass I just purchased. I noticed something that seems a little strange to me. I was under the impression that all 30/06 brass used the large rifle primer. Upon closer examination I see that it looks like some of it uses the small primer. Would someone shed some light on this for me?
DSCN0202_zps20e32fd8.jpg

DSCN0203_zps40318128.jpg

Doc Les

Re: 30/06 PRIMER SIZE?

That's all large, some are just flattened more than others.

Pretty much guarantee they are all large rifle. I think you are seeing the ones with crimped primers and the optical illusion is that they are smaller.

Thanks for the reply's. At 65 the old eyes are not what they used to be. Looks like I need another trip to the eye doctor!

They are all large rifle primers. In the pic, some are commercial brass and some are military brass. The military brass have a crimp that makes the primer look smaller. Usually the military brass has their name and date on the case head. Hope that helps,

JW

I have never seen anything other than Large Rifle in .30-'06. It's the pesky .45 ACP that Obama has snuck in small pistol primers to slow down my progressive press.

Everyone hates the spp .45, I'd love to have a few thousand of it. It's having both together that sucks.