• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing .30-06 round on whitetail

Spyder

Private
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2009
Circleville, Ohio
What '06 round do you guys like on whitetail. I have a friend who recently purchased a 742 Remington and is trying to settle on a round. Will be used almost exclusively on whitetail.

Re: .30-06 round on whitetail

Nothing exotic is required. Remington's Core-Lokt Express PSP .30-'06 with 150, 165, and 180gr bullets are fine, as is the Managed Recoil 125gr Core-Lokt load. Any of them is capable of harvesting a white tail. The 125's might work best at the shorter distances, and make shooting the '06 a lot more enjoyable. I have used each of them on my lightweight M70 .30-'06, and the results are very satisfactory. If recoil is an issue, a Limbsaver Slip-On Recoil Pad adds 1/2" or 1" of LOP and really tames the '06. It's what I use with the heavier loads, and can be had, or something a lot like it, at Wallyworld. Mine cost $22, but I also scored a few in the clearance aise for $4.

Greg

4 out of the 6 guys that I hunt with use 30.06 rifles. Most shoot the Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertip in either 150 or 180 gr. I used the 150 gr out of a Rem 7400 for years.

can never go wrong with a Barnes (130 - 180 gr), it will leave an exit wound every time....

I would go with whatever shoots best out of that rifle. The 06 has plenty of power, accuracy will get the bullet where it needs to be.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nothing exotic is required. Remington's Core-Lokt Express PSP .30-'06 with 150, 165, and 180gr bullets are fine...
Greg </div></div>

+1

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mdesign</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with whatever shoots best out of that rifle. The 06 has plenty of power, accuracy will get the bullet where it needs to be. </div></div>

Here Here!!!! +1

I'm using the Express Corelokt in 180, it shoots great in my 700 XCR. I chose the 30-06 for a common caliber with a huge range in bullet weights. When more funds allow, I may look into the premiums, but for now, those will work fine on deer.

My son and I tried the Fusions for the .308 stick in the 150's and they work fine in his 700, not match grade, but close enough.

basicly any '06 load will be plenty. White tails don't take that much.

I found that in my 742 30-06 that I can't shoot anything in a lead point over 165 gr. It dings the tip really bad. I use Horandy 150LM SST but I started reloading so below is my little starting load.

IMR4895 will be your best choice in an auto. Anything any hotter will stretch the action rails. Learned that lesson the hard way. 48 g. for the 150's 47.5 for the 165's Never loaded anything any heavier Never saw the need. You might want to start a little lower and work up till it ejects and feeds well. These are moderate loads and can be upped a little but not much for the auto.

!! All loads need to start 10% below the above loads and work you way up. Remember that every gun is different and you load at your own risk!!!!

Thanks
Gnab2

As mentioned, just about any bullet out of a .30-06 will do the job. I tend to favor the Federal 165 Nosler Partition or TSX out of mine for factory loads even if they are a little more expensive. Of course, that's assuming they shoot straight which they always seem to.

The only factory round that ever shot decent out of my dad's 742 was the Winchester 180g Accubond.

I like the 165 grain bullets for deer. Either a Sierra 165 grain or Nosler Ballistic tip. I have a dozen 30-06's and one of these two bullets is normaly the most accurate out of my 30-06's. I started using RL22 a couple of years ago. I am getting 100 additional fps over the average IMR's(long dependable loads), and getting full case fill. I really like the RL22, my SD's are better also. Tom.

I use 150gr. Hornady btsp Interlock. I load for a rem. 760 pump with 58grns of Imr 4350. I have yet to have one run from that. The bullets always exit and the deer hit the ground! The internal damage those bullets cause is incredible....

I have had good luck with Hornady 150 SP, got a buddy who won't shoot anything but the 165gr Hornady.

Like others said just about any bullet will do on deer. Some may just work differently or better for others.

150-180gr BTSP or SP of your choice. If handloading I suggest Hornady or Sierra for the Cost/Benefit. The 150 is my choice for 30cal if they group for a rifle.

I started hunting with a 6.5x55 last year and used handloaded 120 gr Corelokt bullets. I killed 4 deer and not one took a step after being hit.

That being said, don't stress over what pill you will shoot out of a 30-06, but just find one that hits where you aim.

Four out of the seven deer on the pole last year were 150gr Core Lokt. Can't beat that! (Two were .444 Marlin so they don't count!). I like being able to buy ammo at the hardware store if need be.