• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-06 still relevant?

Keeping thread going. God bless German Salazar for extolling the merits of the .30-06 with his Serengeti reamer that makes a 1000m tack driver with today's pills and powders. Throw a good brake on, decent glass, and get a newbie shooter behind it to keep the love affair alive for the next generation!
I found Salazar's blog when I got into long range shooting. Wish I would have got to meet him before he left the range.

I found Salazar's blog when I got into long range shooting. Wish I would have got to meet him before he left the range.

I feel the same way....he left us way too soon...

Reactions: BCP and gunsnjeeps
Still love shooting mine as I get time to. My barrel was cut with the Serengeti rev. D reamer and it shoots nice small groups. Berger 200.20x’s at 2750ish with H4831sc. This is a 5 shot group the day I brought it home from getting rebarreled. Thats a 3/4” orange dot if i remember correctly. Barrel had about 10 rounds down it
57816977964__90BE06A5-7218-4E6D-90A6-64F5011C3ED1.jpeg

Yes for hunting and plinking. Easy to reload for, modern loads are close too and cheaper than 300 win mag factory loads. For competition, there are better rounds than 3006... Hell there are better rounds than 6.5 creedmoor, doesn't mean its shitty either...

20231209_111142.jpg

Been spying on here for years, my first post though. Decided to build a 30-06 for target and fun shooting. Picked up a old (1974 i think) Remington 700 30-06 years ago, then a few years ago found a good deal on a chassis I couldnt pass on. So I had this with a old barrel and stock action. Recently I decided to put a good barrel on the 700 and make it accurate and try and get some distance out of it, but after adding up costs to true the action up I decided to just buy an aftermarket action, return the 700 to its old stock and leave it be. For just a few hundred more I get a good action and also another complete gun (the old one back together). Might be a few hundred more than I planned but decided on the Kelblys Prometheus. Dropped it off with a Bartlein med palma 1-10 tonight to get threaded and chambered and finished to 28". Now I wait for a month.

Been spying on here for years, my first post though. Decided to build a 30-06 for target and fun shooting. Picked up an old (1974 i think) Remington 700 30-06 years ago, then a few years ago found a good deal on a chassis I couldnt pass on. So I had this with an old barrel and stock action. Recently I decided to put a good barrel on the 700 and make it accurate and try and get some distance out of it, but after adding up costs to true the action up I decided to just buy an aftermarket action, return the 700 to its old stock and leave it be. For just a few hundred more I get a good action and also another complete gun (the old one back together). Might be a few hundred more than I planned but decided on the Kelblys Prometheus. Dropped it off with a Bartlein med palma 1-10 tonight to get threaded and chambered and finished to 28". Now I wait for a month.
Do you reload or plan to?

Been spying on here for years, my first post though. Decided to build a 30-06 for target and fun shooting. Picked up an old (1974 i think) Remington 700 30-06 years ago, then a few years ago found a good deal on a chassis I couldnt pass on. So I had this with an old barrel and stock action. Recently I decided to put a good barrel on the 700 and make it accurate and try and get some distance out of it, but after adding up costs to true the action up I decided to just buy an aftermarket action, return the 700 to its old stock and leave it be. For just a few hundred more I get a good action and also another complete gun (the old one back together). Might be a few hundred more than I planned but decided on the Kelblys Prometheus. Dropped it off with a Bartlein med palma 1-10 tonight to get threaded and chambered and finished to 28". Now I wait for a month.
It’s fun to do. And can be addictive.

If you dont reload or until you start, you won't see any benefit. Factory match ammo is scarce and is no more then a .308. Most are limited to just 168 grains.

You are really handicapping yourself until you get into slower powders and heavier match bullets. Well it may not matter if you're not shooting at long distance...

Last edited:
Been spying on here for years, my first post though. Decided to build a 30-06 for target and fun shooting. Picked up a old (1974 i think) Remington 700 30-06 years ago, then a few years ago found a good deal on a chassis I couldnt pass on. So I had this with a old barrel and stock action. Recently I decided to put a good barrel on the 700 and make it accurate and try and get some distance out of it, but after adding up costs to true the action up I decided to just buy an aftermarket action, return the 700 to its old stock and leave it be. For just a few hundred more I get a good action and also another complete gun (the old one back together). Might be a few hundred more than I planned but decided on the Kelblys Prometheus. Dropped it off with a Bartlein med palma 1-10 tonight to get threaded and chambered and finished to 28". Now I wait for a month.

Post pic of old 30-06, I like the old beater hunting rifles.

So I found out something funny this weekend, 30-06 subs through a Nomad L are roughly as loud as a push broom from 40 yards away.

Also the drop to 296 yards is 45 MOA from my standard supersonic zero. There is something hilarious about having push broom quiet subs and 1000 yard supers in the same magazine.

Last edited:
Reactions: MadDuner
Post pic of old 30-06, I like the old beater hunting rifles.
rem6.jpg

I had this in a chassis but put it back in the plastic stock, serial number comes back to around 1974 so im guessing it was originally a wooden stock BDL but this is how i picked it up at a gun show. Someone had modified the trigger so if you just breathed on it, it would fire (it was bad) so I put a Timney 2 stage in it, and found a deal on a vortex strike eagle. I thought about using the action and putting a good barrel on it but then i'd have a old barrel laying around, old stock, a bunch of useless parts so put it back together, got another trigger, a Triggertech primary and its a good old functional rifle again.

Below it is in a Killer Inovations Orias chassis I picked up few years ago... I'll put the Timney trigger on the Kelblys Prometheus along with the scope. Dropped off at gunsmith feb 9th so few more weeks yet before I get it back. Also picke up an Ace brake for the new setup. I cant wait to get it all together. Im in southern WI so im 20 miles from Rock Creek Barrels, 80 miles from Bartlein, and 80 miles from Krieger, I had contacted a few gunsmiths and most dont even reply back to me, I wanted to find a good one so I contacted those barrel makers to see who they suggest, Krieger recommended one to me that their emplyees go to 2 miles from them so I drove up there to drop parts off.. Im paranoid about letting others work on anything of mine.. im so OCD, but im just not capable of chambering a barrel so my fate is in someone elses hands.

r700vo.jpg

Reactions: lash
Fuddhammer! This will become a staple in my vocabulary and used whenever I find the opportunity.

Proud carrier of a Fuddcannon. Hmmm, I'm beginning to see a pattern here.

Thank you
MrSmith

Reactions: Eddystone
It's still relevant in the sense that it still sends your choice of .30 cal bullet downrange. An it's going to work just fine.

However, if someone new to shooting or rifles or loading.....it wouldn't be on my list of recommended cartridges unless someone just wants to do it for the sake of doing it.

I'd recommend 6cm, 6.5cm, 7prc, and 300prc to cover all bases.

I like and we still load ammo for customers for .308, 300wm, 30-06, but I just wouldn't pick any of those if starting over. Nothing wrong with them, I'd just use the more modern cartridges.

I'm currently building a 30-06 as a do-all rifle. It's an Origin with a PVA barrel, KRG Bravo, and Zeiss S3. I'm planning to use MKM mag extensions to give me 8rds. I'll use it for some outlaw PRS style matches, field matches, NRL, and some ELR. I've got everything but the barrel so far. I'm going to try a 208 ELDM load first, but I'm interested in the 215 berger hybrid and PVA/Warner solids. I to workup some subs as well as a load for short range plinking that can be shared with an M1 garand.

I like how 30-06 is legal for matches where magnums are a no-go. While the PRC family is superior, I almost never see PRC ammo on the shelves. Factory 30-06 falls short of handloads but I like being able to find ammo anywhere in a pinch. Lastly, 30-06 can use a much wider range of bullets and powders than a magnum. I won't be competitive but that's OK- I just want to have fun shooting.

@Blount8 I do not believe there was a single shooter in the PRS Top 100 in the last few years shootings an '06. Maybe not ever. Some would say that based upon that fact the venerable '06 is irrelevant as a competition round. I'm not sure they are correct.

In today's world we all get wrapped up in the "flavor of the month" (myself often included). I believe that it is possible that we may see this old reliable round comeback someday in a revised incarnation.

Regardless of whether that happens or not, I will always love the 30-06. I have killed coyote, bobcat, deer, antelope, mountain goat, sheep, elk and bear with a Rem 7400 and a Browning BAR in 30-06, and if I had to pick only one gun to hunt with for the rest of my life it would be the Safari grade BAR 30-06 my dad gave me decades ago.

Come back? You are implying it ever went away!

Maybe not the flavor of the month for precision tactical shooting a-la Snipers Hide.

But it has never gone away!

Cheers! Sirhr

I have a hard time believing the PRC cartridges outsell .308 let alone .30-06...but maybe the numerics are not rankings? Fact is .308/30-06 is found everywhere; PRCs not so much. Again, Jim noted it was based on Google searches, not any cited industry data.
From the article…
IMG_5859.jpg

For me, the surprise is 450 bushmaster.

Backfire and Ultimate Reloader promote Hornady products and designed cartridges (PRC).

Last edited:
Reactions: CaseFinder
I have a hard time believing the PRC cartridges outsell .308 let alone .30-06...but maybe the numerics are not rankings? Fact is .308/30-06 is found everywhere; PRCs not so much. Again, Jim noted it was based on Google searches, not any cited industry data.
I can especially believe this as PRC cartridges are used mostly in competition, where handloading is the norm.

I can especially believe this as PRC cartridges are used mostly in competition, where handloading is the norm.
Exactly, people who reload PRC cartridges buy once and reload. With .30-06, most just buy and shoot WallyWorld brands and don't bother reloading; hence my surprise at PRC cartridges, allegedly, outselling .30-06. As @FNG1001 said, these guys and their surveys promote brands they get kickbacks from. I can find .30-06 anywhere, not so when it comes to PRC cartridges.

People don't buy a ton of .30-06 ammo. Probably a couple boxes when they buy the rifle which will last them for years. If a person does own a PRC, odds are that they are shooting it much, much more than the average .308 or .30-06 owner. Even if the number of rifles owned chambered in PRC was 1% of .30-06 or .308, it would probably go through more rounds in a year.

Reactions: sandwarrior
People don't buy a ton of .30-06 ammo. Probably a couple boxes when they buy the rifle which will last them for years. If a person does own a PRC, odds are that they are shooting it much, much more than the average .308 or .30-06 owner. Even if the number of rifles owned chambered in PRC was 1% of .30-06 or .308, it would probably go through more rounds in a year.

My grandfather hunted with a 30-06 for 30 years before he passed then my brother and I took that rifle and started hunting with it off and on for another 15 years until we started hunting suppressed. Now it comes up the opening weekend of deer season for its yearly zero check as a way to honor our grandfather.

I said all of that to say that in 50 years time his main rifle with a maximum estimate of 1500 rounds has been shot approximately 700 less times than my 6.5 PRC in only 5 years.

For me, the surprise is 450 bushmaster.

Possibly based on recent sales, due to "straight walled case" states.
I love the .22-250 but seeing it there surprises me.

I'd still like to pick up a Steyr Mannlicher MC or MCA in in .30-06, to add to the already over loaded hunting rifle rotation. (since my "never owned a .270" itch got scratched last year) Still looking for one in the "just right" price range.

This is the only .30-06 I've ever hunted with.

huntingRifle.jpg

Just looking at the picture makes me want to do it again soon. Thought provoking and something very visceral about freezing sitting in the snow with an M1.

Just finished round 1 of load development for my 3006. I'm getting 2650 with 54.2gr 6.5 Staball and 208gr ELDM's. I'm using virgin Starline brass and Winchester magnum primers. 54.2gr is the max load according to Hodgdon, but I have zero pressure signs. I bet I could get another 100fps easy, but 2650 gets me 1500yds before going transonic. It gets very hot where I live, so I'd rather settle for a mild load. I haven't shot this load for groups, but with 178gr ELDX factory loads it shoots great. It hits steel different than 6.5 or .308.

I'm late to join this thread. First centerfire rifle I ever fired was M1 Garand, I was probably 13. Our local sportsman's club had them and we did the CMP program. So, of course my first centerfire rifle ended up being a Interarms Mark X in 30-06 when I was 14. I learned so much from shooting that rifle and reloading for it. Still in the safe. (I'm 62) Ended up with a Sako 75 in 30-06 in 2001, used it to hunt with for years. Mule deer, elk, black bear, and varmints.Properly loaded for what its being asked to do it still is a very capable cartridge.

Reactions: Haney and lash
Finally got my barrel and action back from gunsmith and just got it together. 30-06. Kelblys Prometheus, Timney 2 stage trigger, Bartlein 1-10, 28" med palma, ACE Brake, My home made leather cheek pad and scope cover i will likely re-do, I messed the stitching up underneath. Vortex Strike Eagle 4-24x50, and Mega Arms/Killer Inovations Orias chassis w/ A*B Arms stock w/ a rubber limbsaver i just stuck on, might trim it up some.. Of course we are having a blizzard so cant go test fire it today... all I can shoot is pictures . - Weighs 14lbs 7oz. as pictured (mag empty).

prom4a.jpg

prom6a.jpg
prom8.JPG

Just picked up a Tikka T3X lite veil alpine in 06.
The only problem I have with it is the 1:11 twist, much prefer a 1:10 or faster.
I'll have to see how it shoots first and then decide on any tweaks to be made.
It does have a twist fluted bolt and a straight fluted barrel with a ceracoat finish over stainless so I will be hesitant to change either unless the benefit is worth it.
I have owned numerous 30-06 rifles so I have all the obligatory reloading supplies good to go with an absolute metric shit ton of 208 Amax's and 190 Bergers....I seem to remember some 170-180 Amax's too....but don't hold me to that.

Just picked up a Tikka T3X lite veil alpine in 06.
The only problem I have with it is the 1:11 twist, much prefer a 1:10 or faster.
I'll have to see how it shoots first and then decide on any tweaks to be made.
It does have a twist fluted bolt and a straight fluted barrel with a ceracoat finish over stainless so I will be hesitant to change either unless the benefit is worth it.
I have owned numerous 30-06 rifles so I have all the obligatory reloading supplies good to go with an absolute metric shit ton of 208 Amax's and 190 Bergers....I seem to remember some 170-180 Amax's too....but don't hold me to that.
I’m interested to hear how those heavies do out of that slow twist barrel.

Conflicting reports;
One reports is 30-06 at 1,000 yards...and another to be 300 meters.

anyone know exactly?

Dead is Dead

Morris_Fisher_1923 (1).jpg

Last edited: