• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors .30-06 Suppression

vetman1

Private
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2012
Georgia
I have a .30-06 Remington 700 with a Sporter barrel. I want to shorten and thread the barrel for use with a Silencerco Harvester.

Any recommendations on what barrel length I should use with that caliber shooting regular factory ammunition?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 30.06 isn't the ideal round to suppress, though you can take a lot of the "bark" off of it, it's not as ideal as say a 300blk or 308.
The harvester , from what I've read , weighs in at 16oz ( *corrected 11.3), which isn't 'too bad' to hang on a sporter. 11.3 @ 16.5 - 18" sounds reasonable in terms of rigidity, Loud in terms of sound. You need to take a set of calipers and get some OD (outer diameter) reads on your barrel; it's current muzzle and where you plan on cutting it. You may also have to run an adapter , which I'm not 100% sure that you can thread a 30.06 down to a 1/2 . But assuming you can you would run either the harvesters adapter or a thread pitch adapter (1/2 -> 5/8).
Issues you may run into due to the sporter :, barrel droop / touching in the barrel channel.
it's up to you

Last edited:
From your description it doesn't sound like you need a lot of long range energy.
I'd cut it to 18" if the barrel will allow for a 5/8x24 or 7/16 thread at that point.
I agree on the stock comments but you can fix the barrel channel easily and on the cheap.

What makes a 30-06 any "less ideal" to suppress than a 300 win mag or 7mm Rem mag??
a quality suppressor will suppress the muzzle blast regardless of case size , the sonic crack is gonna be the same from a 308 shooting full speed ammo or a 300 mag shooting full speed IF the can is built to handel the volume of gas the mag produces. Most sporter barrels will measure well over .625" at the 18" mark. Its nice to have a big shoulder for the can to mate against but its not essential , ive seen more than a few .700" barrels threaded 5/8x24 with zero issues.
As far as accuracy goes , make sure the barrel is cut down and threaded PROPERLY and more than likely your accuracy will.improve. Adding the weight out on the barrel will dampen harmonics thus helping accuracy , it may like a different ammo after but...
make sure the action in bedded well and the barrel is free floated and you should be very happy

We currently have three thread pitches in distribution, and we suggest a minimum of 0.100" over the threaded diameter for a solid shoulder.
5/8x24 = 0.625" => 0.725" min barrel thickness
1/2x28 = 0.500" => 0.600" min barrel thickness
7/16x28 = 0.437" => 0.537" min barrel thickness
On the Harvester, minimum barrel length in a standard cartridge is 16" with 24" on the Magnums.

What makes a 30-06 any "less ideal" to suppress than a 300 win mag or 7mm Rem mag??
a quality suppressor will suppress the muzzle blast regardless of case size , the sonic crack is gonna be the same from a 308 shooting full speed ammo or a 300 mag shooting full speed IF the can is built to handel the volume of gas the mag produces. Most sporter barrels will measure well over .625" at the 18" mark. Its nice to have a big shoulder for the can to mate against but its not essential , ive seen more than a few .700" barrels threaded 5/8x24 with zero issues.
As far as accuracy goes , make sure the barrel is cut down and threaded PROPERLY and more than likely your accuracy will.improve. Adding the weight out on the barrel will dampen harmonics thus helping accuracy , it may like a different ammo after but...
make sure the action in bedded well and the barrel is free floated and you should be very happy

I'd like to echo this comment. I was wondering the exact same thing. There is nothing magical about an 06 that would make it difficult to suppress. If you can suppress a 300WM successfully with a 30 cal can, it should work just fine on an 06.

Nevermind, I just read the subsonic explanation. But you could run subs through an 06, although maybe not so ideal, but then again, I have seen 338LM subs.

Last edited: