• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report 30-338Winchester Magnum OCW test: .3moa

Casey Simpson

Private
Minuteman
Jan 2, 2008
Louisiana
Depending on how my OCD is doing that day, I'm either finished testing and moving on to actually practicing marksmanship, or I'll test a little more, but for now, .3moa

9tlj7o.jpg

vpxj52.jpg

iqhbif.jpg

Re: 30-338Winchester Magnum OCW test: .3moa

Thank you Mallard. I used the 70gr load to fine tune with seating depth in the three lower groups. The 3.700 (dimension using Sinclair hex nut ogive tool) oal load deserves attention. Its a .3moa.
smile.gif

Sooner or later I'm gonna have to train marksmanship and stop chasing groups, right?

0.3 MOA, but all vertical. I would like to see the same group at further yardage(300/400 yards minimum).

I have trouble telling from your target, but which circled group is the 70g group?

How similar are the POIs? From the picture, they all look pretty similar.

Also, why the velocity readings, they dont seem to jive?

Good shooting.

Interested to know more. I am about ready to build a load for one as well. What is your barrel twist and length? Do you know how far off your lands you are? Appears to be a Leupy optic but how many x's etc...Thanks and best of luck to you!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">0.3 MOA, but all vertical. </div></div> I was thinking the same thing, windage can be attributed to the wind, but it appears the 70.3 to 70.6 groups closed the vertical, unless that one hole up by the white dot was actually the third 70.6 shot, then nvm. If the three in that 70.6 are circled, then THAT is approaching the node.

The bottom row of the lower target is the result. 70(3.700) is the ocw and the oal (3.700 measured with a Sinclair hex nut) that appears acceptable. Its not verticle as you can see.
The mvfps are askew; the setting, deminishing sun of the evening messed with the chronograph.

www.optimalchargeweight.embarqspace.com

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Casey Simpson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">26, 11, @.0020". </div></div>

Thnx.

Casey, good work on the groups.

My advice, before you chase other avenues i believe you could still fine tune that load a lot more.

If you have a chance take that target out further, 300 to 400 yards if possible and perform the same test. Its easier if you space out the target a little more to account for wind. Keep your form consistent and most importantly aim exactly at the centre target for each shot. To keep things even more interesting, its best to shoot 1-2 cold bore/sighters and then shoot the groups in round robin, that way the barrel conditions gets spread evenly amongst groups.

Ultimately you want the group the has the least vertical spread. Horizontal spread is mainly wind, which isnt important for load development. A group that exhibits very low vertical spread is one that exhibits a very fine and consistent muzzle velocity... which ultimately is what allows for consistent bullet drop between shots at long range
smile.gif

Once thats sorted you can worry about your wind reading skills