• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30-378 or 338 Lapua

NRF

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 12, 2010
CORNHUSKER
I’m wanting to start a new build and wanted some feedback. I mainly want this for long range elk hunting.
I don’t know much about the weatherby 30-378 or the 338-378 or should I just stick with the 338 Lapua mag or 30-338 Lapua? What are the pros and cons of each? I want to shoot suppressed and have 2 30 cal cans so if I go with a 338 I would have to buy a new can that is my main question about staying 30 cal

I'd do a 300 Norma mag.
Prob the most accurate of them all, more then enough power for elk.
More of a push then a snap recoil.
The 30 378 has a little more horse power but it beats you up.
Easy to load for and 30 cal always has the hottest new bullets when something new pops up.
You should get 1000 rounds +\- of accurate barrel life.

Reactions: Bender
50 BMG

Seriously, though, the latest crop of 30-caliber projectiles makes for a compelling argument for something in that range. On the other hand, they're still short of the best of the 338-caliber projectiles... which are in turn short of the best of the 375-caliber projectiles, and so forth. The long and short of it is that, IMO, as difficult as it may be to believe, doing something based off of the 338LM case is a good bet due to commonality of brass, of all things.

I have had a 338 edge, several Lapua's, and a 30-338 Lapua. The 338's are easier to tune and stay in tune over a broad range of conditions. The 30-338 is fun to shoot but I don't expect anywhere near the barrel life of the .338's. Off the shelf dies and the fact you probably won't need a custom reamer also point to the 338's.

Thank you guys, I’m still leaning towards a 338 Lapua.
Ill do more research on the 300 Norma I’m not familiar with it. What benefits are gained by the Norma vs. win mag?

Since you already have the 30cal cans, seems like a 30 would be ideal. Either way, I’d do the 300 norma without hesitation.

Reactions: Bradu
Norma has more velocity but as expected more powder.
And it shoots the heavy 30 cals better because it has the capacity to get the fps to get the good bc numbers.
Win mag will get 500 more rounds before accuracy drops off.
Don't let some one tell you that it's belted bla bla bla. That's bs it's just one more step with the right dies.
Depending on the range the win mag is a better choice then all.
Surpurbly accurate, a million loads for it and factory ammo that will meet or beat most hand loads.
I think the 300 win mag is still the winningest round in camp perry history but I'm not sure.
Plus you can find it in any store (which to me is a must for a hunting rifle).

Just to add- I don't know which cans you have, but some limit their 30cals' use to 300WM (less powder). If you decide on a 300NM or 30-378, reach out to your cans' manufacturers to see if they are rated/warrantied for those cases.

I have YHM 30 cal cans they are not titanium.
I currently am shooting my 300 WM out to 1400yrds with 1/2-3/4 MOA depending on the day and wind. The gun I’m talking about is in my profile pic. It’s a tack driver but I want a larger cal just because. I’m looking to build a custom gun and with the gun, optics, reloading dies, 338 suppressor my numbers are reaching 10-12k ,
So maybe I should just use what I have and put my money elsewhere? Or let me know if you guys are having success with factory 338 Lapuas and which brand. Thanks NF

When it comes to a long range flat shooting round it's hard to beat the 30-378, but no doubt especially in a hunting rifle it will give you a beating. I love mine, but it's a go to the range, confirm your zero and go kill something rifle. If you want extended range sessions or if barrel life is a top priority look elsewhere. I don't mind the sacrifices to gain the performance of the round. With elk size targets I can shoot out to 350 holding dead on, which makes a lot of shots no brainers. If you can handle the recoil it's an awesome round that can easily anchor any animal in North America.

I have had a 338 edge, several Lapua's, and a 30-338 Lapua. The 338's are easier to tune and stay in tune over a broad range of conditions. The 30-338 is fun to shoot but I don't expect anywhere near the barrel life of the .338's. Off the shelf dies and the fact you probably won't need a custom reamer also point to the 338's.
This is solid advice,I recommend the 338 Norma it was by far one of the easiest rifles I have loaded for,great accuracy and all from a 23” barrel.

Reactions: NRF
Thank you for the added advice. If I build a 338 what barrel length is recommended? I want this to be tactical but still light weight to use for hunting. I’ve read that a Accuracy of a bullet only needs one full twist, and extended barrel length improves pressure but doesn’t improve accuracy just FPS. So I’d prefer no longer than a 24-26 inch barrel if I’m putting a 10 inch long suppressor on it. Field facts or field facts?

I think it really depends on the load you want to shoot. The 250's with something like RL25 or H1000 should do fine in a shorter barrel. If you want to use factory ammo or load heavy bullets with slow powder, 27" would be my minimum. My 338 Lapua with a Bartlein 9.3 twist at 27" is a shooter with 300 hybrids and RL33. 3" round steel targets at 600 yds are somewhat easy to hit.

If the powers that be in this fucking country didn't just ban them in my state, I'd be buying a DTA to do a 32 inch barreled 338LM or NM, if you can manage it, you'll get everything you can out of that caliber in a build like that.

If you're staying conventional, I'd suggest 28 inch and run a lighter profile or carbon barrel to make it manageable, noting your comment on using it as a hunting rifle.

23” barrel in 338 Norma,I was getting 2730fps vvN570 and 2670fps with RL22 with a 300 smk.

If you want something with a conventional magnum boltface, look at the 30-375 Ruger, same footprint as the .300WM but around 5 grains more capacity.
Otherwise, build off the Norma case, .300 Norma is pretty hard to beat.

like said before if your going to use factory ammo youll need 26+ to get the proper results.
when lapua originally created the factory 250gr ammo a 26 or 27" barrel (i forget) was needed for full powder burn.
if your going to try and save weight go with a thinner profile or a proof rather then flutes. the flutes do not heat up uniformly, a non fluted barrel will act more consistent.

I built myself a 300-338LM a few years back. 1:20ROT barrel, 125 grain ballistic tips, 4375fps out of a 34" tube.

1/2" groups at 200 and at 600 it'll still blow holes clean through 3/8" AR500 plate. It's wicked...

I did this just to fart around and try it out. Someday I'm going to give a coyote the ride of his life via Texas Heart Shot. :)

Stuff a 180+ in front of it with a faster twist and I can't imagine an animal in N. America standing up to it.

If the powers that be in this fucking country didn't just ban them in my state, I'd be buying a DTA to do a 32 inch barreled 338LM or NM, if you can manage it, you'll get everything you can out of that caliber in a build like that.

If you're staying conventional, I'd suggest 28 inch and run a lighter profile or carbon barrel to make it manageable, noting your comment on using it as a hunting rifle.

Banned?