• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30 cal 155 Palmas. Difficult to work with?

Fatelvis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2003
Mokena, IL
I'm thinking of going in a different direction with my bolt and M1A rifles. Getting away from the 175s and going with the 155 Sierras and Bergers for less recoil and flatter trajectory at 600yds. Are these bullets generally more finicky or harder to make shoot well? Any tips or pointers you could give to help smooth my transition would be appreciated. Thanks!

There are 2 Sierra 155's, the 2155 (old Palma) and 2156 (new Palma). Get the new Palma, it has a much better BC. In my rifle, both it and the Berger 155.5's shoot very well, at least out to 600 yards, which is the distance at the ranges I shoot at.

Do they need to be seated close or touching the rifling?

Every rifle shoots different. I have a 1:12 barrel and the Sierras are loaded .035" off the lands and the Berger's .070" off. But, again, that's in my rifle.
I would recommend doing a ladder test with them to see where your rifle shoots them the best. Powder and primers also makes a difference. I use 8208 and Wolf primers. Others use Varget, etc.

Do they need to be seated close or touching the rifling?

It is extraordinarily difficult, if not impossible to touch the lands with these bullets with a standard chamber. A Palma chamber will enable you to get close. The shape of these bullets has the ogive set back very far in relation to the length of the bullet. If you seat them long, your surface bearing area will be very little, and the bullet will almost come out of the case with little effort. I seat mine with an OAL of about 2.87", and I'm still jumping 0.1" to the lands. The good news is that these particular bullets do very well when they jump.

I finally got the 155 Palmas to shoot 1/2 moa out of my Rem LTR which has a throat longer than my favorite ex-girlfriend. They are jumping almost .23" and shoot well.

I found them to be very easy to load, i use imr 8208xbr and seat them deep. They have to run fast though, mine do best around or above 2900 fps.

When I did my research, I saw a lot of people loading them for M1As with great success.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

You "load" the ex-girlfriend, I am curious about the loading of the cartridge.

Good point...

Once fired Winchester brass from my chamber. Bumped shoulder back about a RCH using a Wilson Gauge. 46.5 grains Varget, CCI BR-2 primer, seated to 2.800" OAL.

Rifle is a Rem LTR, 12 twist, 20". Only mods I did to it is Timney Trigger, bed the action, and shoot through a TBAC can.

I don't know my velocity as I don't have a chrono. I seated a bullet to just touch the lands, then measured to the ogive using a PTG Comparator Nut. Seated the Palmas to 2.800 to fit into the internal mag, and measured the difference in ogive length for a .23" jump. This method is not as precise as other methods, but this is all I have, so the .23" is as close as I can get.

This load recipe is pretty standard for 155 grain projos. I use the same for the 155 Amax and it works well also.

As always, work up to it and watch for pressure signs. Long throat on the Remmy allows me to run this with no pressure signs. Your chamber may be different.

Hope this helps.

Bill

Last edited:
I shoot the 155's to 1100 with IMR 4895 in 11" twist Remington. Berger moly's were the best. Sierra and Amax good.