• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30 Cal berger hybrids and jump

SNAFU308

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2012
The Land Downunder
Hi all,

So i've got a Remington 700 that i've had done up and decked out but the throat is still longer than i'd like. I had previously shot the 155 gr Scenars in my last .308 out of a 28" barrel but they don't seem to like the jump in this rifle at the moment. So i'm considering trying some of the berger hybrids either the 155, 175 or 185 and would like to hear from those that have used them as to which handle a bit of a jump better than the others?

Looks like i'm about to pick up and AIAE MKII as well so want to try and find a load that will work for both. I shoot out to 1000 yards so i'm thinking I might have to go to the heavier projectiles as i'm not sure I can push the 155's hard enough out of the 24" barrel.

Cheers

SNAFU

30 Cal berger hybrids and jump

I gave the 185 hybrids a try out of a factory 700 Sendero barreled action seated at mag length. Don't remember the jump but I think it ended around 0.040 to 0.065".

I only have access to 630 yards but was able to hit steel very consistent and the few groups I got at 600 were around 4-5" and I'm a very new shooter at that distance.

Load work up was rather easy. But I also did not go crazy with seating depth just charge weight.

Forgot to mention caliber was 300wm.

Last edited:
I believe most all of the Bergers are jump tolerant. I know the LR BT's and the Juggernaut's are specifically very jump tolerant.

The VLD types are NOT jump tolerant.

I have played with the LR BT's and Juggernauts in the 185g weight in .308 and had decent results for not doing much load development. I want to try some Hybrid Target's which are supposed to be awesome, but I have never seen them.

OK thanks for the answers so far, This is part of my problem, the target hybrids are available here but things like the juggernaut aren't currently. I will steer clear of the VLD's then as i'm really trying to find something that will work with mag length...

might try some of the 175 hybrids as the 185 should shoot ok in the remington as it's a 1:11.25 twist but the 1:12 twist of the AI might have trouble stabilising the heavier pill

Cheers

SNAFU

IMO I wouldn't worry too much about the twist on the AI MKII. This is the start of my load development with 185gr Berger Target Juggs COAL 2.84" @ 100yrds w/ AI MKIII (I think max mag length for an AI is about 2.95" so plenty of room). I'll update this post when I stretch it out for a local practice FTR(23rd). There is strong side winds here so I was looking for a bullet that could compinsate for that. My search for the 185gr hybrids continues... Another shooter locally loves the hybrids and reports great results, but I'm not sure of the twist as it's a custom.

I should've mentioned I was using the target hybrids. And I looked back at the target and it was 4-5" not 3-4". (Funny how as more time goes on the smaller you remember them...) edited above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any reason you say to jam them? I specifically bought these because everything I read was that they were designed to be very jump tolerant??

I want to run these at mag length and the throat in the barrel on my Remington is long so to jam them I'd have to single load.

I wont claim that the OTM Tactical's are jump tolerant, but after talking with the people at Berger about the 185g LRBT and Juggernaut(which is the EXACT same bullet BTW) they said jump em. They said the VLD's need to be jammed or REALLY close to the lands. I would guess the OTM Tactical and Hybrid Target also are ok with a jump.

If I go with more Bergers it will probably be more Juggernaut's or LRBT's or some Hybrid Target's(if I can find them). Ive got a few thousand Nosler 175g CC's I need to shoot up first.

This is a partial quote from Bryan Litz in a thread quite some time ago, there was another somewhere else I can seem to find right now but I got the distinct impression that these 175 OTM's would be far more tolerant of jump and suited being mag loaded whilst the VLD's needed to be jammed or close to the lands. Hopefully this is the case as i'm trying to find a nice mag length load for my remington 700 build and the AIAE that i'm picking up shortly

1) It wasn't designed only to maximize BC
2) It was designed to: load to mag length, and be transonic stable, and have the best BC possible under those constraints.
So if you're a competition target shooter who single loads and wants to maximize BC, the Sinclair tech line (or any other Berger dealer who got the above message) would be able to advise against this new 175 OTM. But if you're shooting tactical matches where you need mag feeding and possibly transonic stability due to low MV's from short barrels, or are primarily interested in loading SAAMI compatible ammunition for resale, then this is the bullet for you.

-Bryan