• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30 cal bergers, jump em or jam them?

Mohawk3a

Supporter
Supporter
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 8, 2010
California
I'm hearing more success with jamming The Bergers than jumping them. I tried a small jump with some 175 and 185 bergers last weekend and didn't get very good results. I thought I would run it by you guys, and see what works for you.

Re: 30 cal bergers, jump em or jam them?

straight from the horses mouth here

http://02b0516.netsolhost.com/blog1/?m=200904

i typically jump them 20 to 30 thousandths

if shooting the 185's try the boat tail ones over the vld's i have found they are not as jump sensative

at least to me the 155.5's are not that sensitve to jump, the vld's typically are buy once you find the sweet spot they shoot like none other

also try the load at distance to see what it is doing downrange

30 thousanths is what my 168's are jumping in my .308...bug holes

I have not seen any conclusive evidence to prove that jumping them gives better results than kissing or jaming into the lands... at least not from someone that I believe knows with certainty what they are talking about.

Jammed 7-10 thou works best for me, leaves more room for slow burning powder. I also get extremely consistant ignition/velocities that way.

Yup, another one for jamming them....I jammed them before I tried to jump them and it worked so well I didnt even try anything else.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mohawk3A</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm hearing more success with jamming The Bergers than jumping them. I tried a small jump with some 175 and 185 bergers last weekend and didn't get very good results. I thought I would run it by you guys, and see what works for you. </div></div>

VLDs>Jam the lands.

Chris

Remember, if you jam them, you will have trouble unloading a live round. Not a big deal to some, but if you shoot matches, this can be nasty issue. As such, I jump EVERY bullet I load. If a bullet doesn't shoot well for me jumped, I go to another bullet.

Also, if you are just touching the lands, you introduce a potential source of error - if one of the loads is just a hair shorter, it will be a flyer because of the big change in pressure between it and the rest that are touching.

A lot is going to depend on the shape or "leade" of the throat. Some are tapered and some are square. Some are tapered sharp and some are tapered blunt.

But like stated above, jamming into the lands make for a mess to unload a live round.

I'm shooting the 185's from my .300 Wby, with a standard Wby freebore. They are jumping about a mile or so, and I'm getting about 1/2 moa from them. I think it just depends on what your rifle wants. I'm loading VLD's to magazine length in the .300. and my .243, neither touching the lands, and have been very happy so far.... But I'm not a competition shooter either.

Mine are best at .030 from my .308 and I am jumping .120 in my .243 with 105 VLDs. The .243 is the most ridiculous accurate gun I own so don't be afraid to jump......just do what the rifle tells you. The link above is what I follow to pick my jump range.