• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30 cal flat point for 30 30

black_ump

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2007
erie,pa 16334
my dad has a lever action 30 30 and is getting into reloading can flat point rounds be used in this set up

Re: 30 cal flat point for 30 30

check out Midway and Wideners. I am sure they will stock some flat nose. Normally they come in 150 and 170 grain but I have seen 125 grain.

Get some <span style="font-weight: bold">150gr. and 170gr. Sierra Flat Nose (FN) Pro-Hunter </span>Bullets.

I just loaded some up for my 30-30 with some IMR 3031 Powder and they shoot great.

Look into the Hornady 160gr. LeveRevolution Bullets (this is not a FN Bullet). They shoot very accurate out to 200yrds (for a 30-30).

You said "can a Flat point round be used in this setup?". Are you serious? A Flat Nose is what you mainly want to use out of a 30-30 Lever Action unless you want to load pointed bullet and have rounds firing off in your tube (not safe!).

Oh wait, this is a black_ump question so it doesnt surprise me.

iam asking is it safe to use flat point or do you need to only use rounded bullets

As has been stated, flat and round nosed bullets are fine for use in a tubular magazine like the Winchester Model 94 utilizes. If you load anything spire pointed bullets you would have to load them singly. If they were stacked on top of each other in a tubular magazine, its possible that the recoil of the rifle could cause one of the pointed bullets in the magazine to strike the primer in front of it causing the cartridge to fire while in the magazine. Flat pointed bullets were designed to prevent that from happening. So just use flat or round nosed bullets in your 30-30 and you will be fine. If you want to read more this link has some information you might find interesting. I am sure you can find more if you want using google.
http://www.chuckhawks.com/30-30Win.htm

thanks for the heads up... sorry i read allot of posts in the am using one eye lol... i live a sad life

Pointed bullets shoot better.Load pointed bullets,one in chamber and one in the mag.Better to have 2 good shots than a Mag.full of inferior bullets.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pointed bullets shoot better.Load pointed bullets,one in chamber and one in the mag.Better to have 2 good shots than a Mag.full of inferior bullets. </div></div>

Not a bad solution in theory, but in practice....its a 30-30 lever action rifle how much of an improvement are you expecting to gain? The spire point give a bullet a better ballistic coefficient, but that will only really come in to play down range. Did you ever hear the one about putting lipstick on a pig?

I would just go with a bullet that was designed for your dads rifle. I use 170 grain round or flat nose bullets in mine. They don't give anything up to the 150 grain bullets and you gain a little in terminal performance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: black_ump</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> sorry i read allot of posts <span style="text-decoration: underline">in the am using </span>one eye </div></div>

Uh, What?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pointed bullets shoot better.Load pointed bullets,one in chamber and one in the mag.Better to have 2 good shots than a Mag.full of inferior bullets. </div></div>
Inferior bullets have been the demise of many million deer
wink.gif
. At 150yds. in, there is no better deer cartridge!

The .22LR killed a lot of deer also.That doesn't make it a good deer rifle.Years ago the American Riflemen proved that in the brush spitzer bullets deflected less than round nose bullets.The 12 gage slug was the worst.We have a lot better bullets today than in 1894 when the 30-30 was born.As for lipstick on a pig look at miss Piggy she is a honey.

So you're arguing that you need to shoot through the brush and then get less deflection from a spitzer bullet? I've shot a whole pile of stuff with my 30-30, everything from 150gr cast lead bullets all the way through 175gr OTM's single loaded.

Everything that was hit with them died and died quickly. Proper placement of a shot (even in brush) is the hunter's job. Not the bullet's.

I really feel that we're overthinking this. Just run 150-180gr flat nose or round nose in there, or spring for some of the spendy new 160gr FlexTip Hornady's and enjoy the rifle. It will do the job out to 150-175yd very well. I've run mine out to 250 with easily repeatable shots on little critters like ground hogs.

Unless I'm hunting at long range in open country my 30-30 goes with me no questions asked. It's always delivered.

bohem
I'm not arguing anything.Shoot what you like,it's your rifle.It was just my 2 cents.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jaybird39</div><div class="ubbcode-body">As for lipstick on a pig look at miss Piggy she is a honey. </div></div>

You haven't been hanging out with the Shankster have you?
laugh.gif

Driftwood
I love all women that take a little pride in themself.Miss piggy is one of them.Would I go to bed with them all?No.We are getting off the subject,but its fun.

The 25/20 bullets are all flat nosed to prevent the tips setting off primers in the tube, yet no one maintains that it is possible with so little recoil.

The 450 Alaskan has actually got a round to go off with a pointy bullet to the primer in the tube, per some internet post.

Has anyone done the research to see if it is actually necessary for the 30-30 to have flat or soft tips?

I have thought of dropping a column of cartridges in a tube to simulate the acceleration, but have never done it.