• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors 30 cal YHM Phantom ti review

Johnwayne!

Private
Minuteman
Apr 20, 2013
First time at the range with my new can! My hosts are a DPMS LR 308 and a Ruger SR 556. I was really happy with both if you are in the market for a 30 can look them up. The mount on both guns are ROCK SOLID and easy to use. I confirmed my 100 yard zero with my 308 first with some new factory ammo hornady Z max 168. I put on my can and gave it a go... no change in zero and quiet as all get out and felt recoil was cut in half. People at the range started asking questions and was taking video even..haha Later a guy showed up with a surefire 762 can and sat right next to me. we talked and both of us were excited to try out our cans shot for shot. He wasn't too happy because his was louder and others on the range all agreed that the phantom sounded better. Funny that mine was almost half the price and wayyyyy lighter to boot. I really happy with it!!! If you're in the market for a can look into YHM. oh and don't mind my 7 month old in the picture he is just getting into shooting.....hahahaha

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 38
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    943.2 KB · Views: 38
I didn't get the TI can, but the M2 QD in Stainless & Iconel. Awesome cans for sure. I love the sound vs. everything else I have been around or shot, just hasn't been the same. And yes, the YHM Phantom's are badass cans at a great price. IMHO, they are the best bang for the buck out there!!

I got some badass QD mounts from another source too. They are 1/2 the price of YHM's flash hider mounts, and have an awesome full mounting ring, complimented by stainless indexing pins. If anyone is interested in the guys information, just let me know!!

DK

What other cans have you shot? My specwar is much quieter and has a better locking mechanism than my ti phantom.

The Socom is made/designed for military ammo (Higher pressure) most people that have the can aren't aware of that.

In the Socom review I made, we actually put a phantom TI through it's paces...It's a nice can but, as you get into higher pressure, the YHM can't keep up. Where as with the Surefire, it does extremely well with military ammo and just kind of meh with Civilian.

The Socom is designed for war...The Phantom TI is more for a bench.

Not trying to poop in your cheerios but, both cans have radically different purposes.

The Socom is made/designed for military ammo (Higher pressure) most people that have the can aren't aware of that.

In the Socom review I made, we actually put a phantom TI through it's paces...It's a nice can but, as you get into higher pressure, the YHM can't keep up. Where as with the Surefire, it does extremely well with military ammo and just kind of meh with Civilian.

Really? Are you referring to the 5.56/.223 ammo comparison? Most civilian .308 hand loads or factory match ammo are way hotter than the military stuff. I'll agree with you that the surefire is tougher and built for war.

I'm sold on the YHM. Just had the 338LM can on my 716 shooting Lake city 149gr and it sounded like an air rifle. It will be going on my 300WM. I will be getting the phantom QD M2 for the 716.

Really? Are you referring to the 5.56/.223 ammo comparison? Most civilian .308 hand loads or factory match ammo are way hotter than the military stuff. I'll agree with you that the surefire is tougher and built for war.

Actually, I'm finding mk262, M118 mod 0's, Mk248's are all significantly higher pressure than the civilian loads.

For example, I bought some 223 surplus to originally shoot through the surefire -- Sounded like shit...Got some M193's, some M855's, was literally night and day. I was blown away by the difference.

Same goes with the 7.62/308's...I reload - Hodgdon 4831/varget, 178 amax and you basically have the M118. Most civilian stuff I find off the shelf doesn't compete...I have to specifically get TAP or Custom Hornady to get close...I admit, I haven't tried many of the new 308 loads but, I've been reloading my own for a while and 7.62 vs. 308 once you get into the LR ammo is just semantics because it's the same powder, primer and bullet, just a different case.

If you were buying surplus 7.62 vs off the shelf 308, it completely depends on what you're getting...I've had some very low pressure 308 and some very hot 7.62...But, I'll agree that most of the military surplus 7.62 is lower pressure than commonly available 308.

For the Win-Mag anything you buy off the shelf will not be as hot as the military loads.

We compared the Phantom and the Mk13-SD to the Surefire. What we found was that the TI cans couldn't do rapid follow ups, especially the higher pressure you went. The Surefire, didn't bat an eye...The MK13SD suppressed the best but, the Phantom was the best mid range...However, there were obvious drawbacks...The Phantom couldn't handle the high end mil-spec 300 WM / M118's, it was just as loud as the Surefire and the flash was evident, we also got a dust cloud in the face...But, the Phantom did fantastically with low pressure 300wm, decent 308 and did awesome with 300blk...The MK13 suppressed sound the best but, again, complete loss with follow ups, especially on the hotter stuff and we definitely roofed the can with our 300wm mil-spec ammo...The Surefire on the other hand, didn't roof...I threw some HOT H1000 208 amax down the tube...No flash at all, no pop, 4 follow up shots, no problem....Mag dumped 7.62...5.56, she keeps asking for more...I would never do it with a TI can...That's just nuts...But, that's also the reason I dropped what I dropped for the Socom. :cool:

It's just become very clear that most people think a suppressor is a suppressor is a suppressor; that's simply not true. Every suppressor serves a purpose and the Socom's purpose is on a battlefield where as most others are optimal for a bench/range environment. - That's all I'm saying.

At the end of the day I'm glad the OP likes his suppressor but the comparison of the Phantom to the Socom is just apples to oranges.

I'm sold on the YHM. Just had the 338LM can on my 716 shooting Lake city 149gr and it sounded like an air rifle. It will be going on my 300WM. I will be getting the phantom QD M2 for the 716.

I'd look up your loads and ask around.

High pressure 300wm didn't do so hot in the Phantom.

I have used the RC on deployment its a solid can. I will say our snipers 300wm used an older can much longer than the RC.... the YHM was a perfect fit for me and my hosts. It my not be ment for "war" but my war gun is locked up in a box and i can use what i want. I woundt pick a TI can for "war" anyway.

I have used the RC on deployment its a solid can. I will say our snipers 300wm used an older can much longer than the RC.... the YHM was a perfect fit for me and my hosts. It my not be ment for "war" but my war gun is locked up in a box and i can use what i want. I woundt pick a TI can for "war" anyway.

It was a KAC MK 11.

Again, I wasn't trying to knock you or your purchase or anything...I hope you're happy with your purchase.

It's just that comparing the RC to the YHM is apples to oranges for the most part.

Military loads are significantly hotter (for the most part) than civilian available, off the shelf ammo.

If I shoot a Mk 248 Mod 1 through the YHM, it's going to sound like shit. M118's are on the high side as well. The YHM was built primarily for civilian ammo and that's where it shines...There's nothing wrong with that.

The RC on the other hand, sounds awesome with M248 Mod 1 and like shit with civilian loads...With the M248 Mod 1's it does it's job...And scales with the pressure.

We took out a TI Phantom and the Stainless version a few weeks ago. I'd never put back to back 248's through the TI without worrying it's going to do a number on the can...And the stainless suppressed it "okay" but, you could tell it was roofing it, big-time.

The RC, scaled like a champ - No issue with follow ups...It's just meant for Military/High pressure ammo -- Most guys shoot civilian shit through it and expect to "oooooh" and "ahhhhhh", it just doesn't work that way.

They're simply 2 cans that exist for completely different reasons.

Specifically I'm referring to this:

Later a guy showed up with a surefire 762 can and sat right next to me. we talked and both of us were excited to try out our cans shot for shot. He wasn't too happy because his was louder and others on the range all agreed that the phantom sounded better. Funny that mine was almost half the price and wayyyyy lighter to boot. I really happy with it!!! If you're in the market for a can look into YHM. oh and don't mind my 7 month old in the picture he is just getting into shooting.....hahahaha

He was using civilian ammo in a military can.

It was a KAC MK 11.

Again, I wasn't trying to knock you or your purchase or anything...I hope you're happy with your purchase.

It's just that comparing the RC to the YHM is apples to oranges for the most part.

Military loads are significantly hotter (for the most part) than civilian available, off the shelf ammo.

If I shoot a Mk 248 Mod 1 through the YHM, it's going to sound like shit. M118's are on the high side as well. The YHM was built primarily for civilian ammo and that's where it shines...There's nothing wrong with that.

The RC on the other hand, sounds awesome with M248 Mod 1 and like shit with civilian loads...With the M248 Mod 1's it does it's job...And scales with the pressure.

We took out a TI Phantom and the Stainless version a few weeks ago. I'd never put back to back 248's through the TI without worrying it's going to do a number on the can...And the stainless suppressed it "okay" but, you could tell it was roofing it, big-time.

The RC, scaled like a champ - No issue with follow ups...It's just meant for Military/High pressure ammo -- Most guys shoot civilian shit through it and expect to "oooooh" and "ahhhhhh", it just doesn't work that way.

They're simply 2 cans that exist for completely different reasons.

Specifically I'm referring to this:

He was using civilian ammo in a military can.

Can you provide citations for your information? Maybe some db info from a test showing results for different ammo? I am curious how a suppressor designed for high pressure ammo will perform poorly with lower pressure ammo?

Can you provide citations for your information? Maybe some db info from a test showing results for different ammo? I am curious how a suppressor designed for high pressure ammo will perform poorly with lower pressure ammo?

There's an entire thread about it and Surefire has acknowledged it's factual:

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting/snipers-hide-suppressors/262773-socom-762-rc-review.html

Every can is made for a pressure "window" so to speak.

Surefire designed their baffles for military, IE, high pressure ammo...So for Subsonics, it sounds like shit. For low pressure civilian ammo, it sounds like shit. For High pressure, "hot" military ammo, it suppresses well.

The Phantom per our testing (my buddies and myself) couldn't handle follow up shots with 248's without a huge spread and on the hotter loads, not only generated clouds of dust but, there was also an extremely obvious flash. - We were actually worried we'd ruin the can so we swapped to the stainless version...Which we roofed with 248's...In fact, we noticed it was roofing with the M118's.

Where as with the RC, it suppresses 248's like a boss but, there's no flash and no cloud...Same with the M118's.

The difference here is ammo. One can is designed for Military specific ammo. The other is designed for common loads.

If I buy a military can and use civilian ammo in that can, it's going to sound like a piece of shit because it wasn't designed for subsonics and/or low pressure.

If I buy a civilian can and use military ammo in that can, 9/10 times it's going to roof the can and/or do a number on it.

Again, that's not to say that buying the YHM was wrong or the Surefire was wrong...I'm simply clarifying the difference because the OP took a jab at a military designed can where the end user obviously misunderstood the can's purpose. - Apples to oranges.

Last edited:
yhm states 76 grain max powder charge for its 30 cal ti phantom. you would have to use a pretty light h1000 load to stay under that

yhm states 76 grain max powder charge for its 30 cal ti phantom. you would have to use a pretty light h1000 load to stay under that

That's an understatement.

Our loads for the phantom were extremely light from what I understand, the owner of the can actually reloaded it, himself; so I can't speak to the grain count but, it was a very light load.

You've actually proven my premise, however. -- Cans have different pressure windows. - The Surefire's window is high...The YHM's is mid-low...That's just how it is.

The SOCOM is a battle-ready suppressor...The YHM is not...They were simply designed for 2 completely different markets and 2 sets of COMPLETELY different needs.

SOCOM conceals nearly ALL flash. First round pop is eliminated. The SOCOM's purpose is not to purely suppress the round, it's to conceal the user in war. - Seriously.

The YHM's purpose to suppress the round, the rest is a bonus because it's a civilian suppressor.

Do you need that SOCOM civilian? Probably not but, half the guys I meet on the range that have bought the 7.62RC were misinformed and bought the can for completely the wrong reasons...Like the guy next to the OP...Not only are they using the wrong ammo but, they expect it to be "silent"...Sorry, no...That's not what the RC was designed for.

It's like comparing a Humvee to a Hummer...Can you take a H3 into war? Sure but, I wouldn't advise it.

A Humvee? Already there.

Should you take a TI Phantom to war? - Absolutely not. - I shouldn't say that because god only knows but, I'll leave it at "I wouldn't advise it".

A Socom 7.62RC? - Already there.

Apples to oranges.

Last edited:
That's an understatement.

Our loads for the phantom were extremely light from what I understand, the owner of the can actually reloaded it, himself; so I can't speak to the grain count but, it was a very light load.

You've actually proven my premise, however. -- Cans have different pressure windows. - The Surefire's window is high...The YHM's is mid-low...That's just how it is.

The SOCOM is a battle-ready suppressor...The YHM is not...They were simply designed for 2 completely different markets and 2 sets of COMPLETELY different needs.

SOCOM conceals nearly ALL flash. First round pop is eliminated. The SOCOM's purpose is not to purely suppress the round, it's to conceal the user in war. - Seriously.

The YHM's purpose to suppress the round, the rest is a bonus because it's a civilian suppressor.

Do you need that SOCOM civilian? Probably not but, half the guys I meet on the range that have bought the 7.62RC were misinformed and bought the can for completely the wrong reasons...Like the guy next to the OP...Not only are they using the wrong ammo but, they expect it to be "silent"...Sorry, no...That's not what the RC was designed for.

It's like comparing a Humvee to a Hummer...Can you take a H3 into war? Sure but, I wouldn't advise it.

A Humvee? Already there.

Should you take a TI Phantom to war? - Absolutely not. - I shouldn't say that because god only knows but, I'll leave it at "I wouldn't advise it".

A Socom 7.62RC? - Already there.

Apples to oranges.
yes thank you we all read that the first time you posted it. now could you quit hi jacking this guys thread with your socom fan boy jargin. you said it yourself the phantom ti is better choice for some people costs less and they do not need a "battle ready suppressor" we do not all think we are operators. some of us just want to quiet down mild to average loads and the yhm is better at that so for us it is a better suppressor and his info is very useful. some people just dont want to hunt with ear plugs so a lite ti can is perfect.

Hodgdon
H1000
.308"
3.420"
47,800 PSI
78.0C
60,200 PSI

so i guess most except for the hot h1000 loads are ok

yes thank you we all read that the first time you posted it. now could you quit hi jacking this guys thread with your socom fan boy jargin. you said it yourself the phantom ti is better choice for some people costs less and they do not need a "battle ready suppressor" we do not all think we are operators. some of us just want to quiet down mild to average loads and the yhm is better at that so for us it is a better suppressor and his info is very useful. some people just dont want to hunt with ear plugs so a lite ti can is perfect.

Hodgdon
H1000
.308"
3.420"
47,800 PSI
78.0C
60,200 PSI

so i guess most except for the hot h1000 loads are ok

I wasn't "fan boying", FYI. The YHM is a nice can, I prefer the Stainless because the TI's tend to heat up fast but, what works for you, works for you.

Truth is most guys that buy the Socom didn't do their research so, I was putting emphasis and expanding on that. I'm sorry if that got in your way.

That being said, per the YHM because of how hot the H1000 was running, we dropped it down the 4831SC - The 4831SC did remarkably better but, we were seeing about 2750.

We DID have some serious issues with follow ups and H1000 per the TI cans but, the 4831 seemed to do well.

I'm actually meeting the guy that has the YHM's, both the stainless and the TI at the range this weekend if you'd like some sweet-spotting. :)

I wasn't "fan boying", FYI. The YHM is a nice can, I prefer the Stainless because the TI's tend to heat up fast but, what works for you, works for you.

Truth is most guys that buy the Socom didn't do their research so, I was putting emphasis and expanding on that. I'm sorry if that got in your way.

That being said, per the YHM because of how hot the H1000 was running, we dropped it down the 4831SC - The 4831SC did remarkably better but, we were seeing about 2750.

We DID have some serious issues with follow ups and H1000 per the TI cans but, the 4831 seemed to do well.

I'm actually meeting the guy that has the YHM's, both the stainless and the TI at the range this weekend if you'd like some sweet-spotting. :)

sorry my post came off a little whiney and bitchy and i do appreciate reading your input as well. it is nice to get some info from someone who has tried it.

i would. i am waiting on my yhm ti to clear and i shoot my 300 wm with 4831sc. last week i was thinking about getting some h1000 but i looked at the load data and though it might be pushing the can a little plus the gun just really seems to like 4831sc with any bullet. i would think the h1000 problems would be more due to volume of gas than pressure though.

i would like all the info you can give me about your observations load data and suppressor host barrel length

I didn't get the TI can, but the M2 QD in Stainless & Iconel. Awesome cans for sure. I love the sound vs. everything else I have been around or shot, just hasn't been the same. And yes, the YHM Phantom's are badass cans at a great price. IMHO, they are the best bang for the buck out there!!

I got some badass QD mounts from another source too. They are 1/2 the price of YHM's flash hider mounts, and have an awesome full mounting ring, complimented by stainless indexing pins. If anyone is interested in the guys information, just let me know!!

DK

I bought two of the SS YHM Phantoms last year a the same time I bought a Surefire 5.56 socom rc. Wanted to make sure all my house carbines were suppressed. They're very solid, functional cans, but if I could rationalize spending the extra grand-plus it would have taken to upgrade to two more socoms, I wouldn't - they're good enough for what I hope they're never used for (home defense) and the kids prefer shooting the guns suppressed.

I can't imagine the titanium can being any less effective.