• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

30 sherman rechamber options

Well there is only 1 way to find out I suppose, I'll just take a new piece and drop down to the 2900 fps load and shoot/size/reload 3 or 4 of them at that node and see if it still happens . I know that there will be no more Sherman's in my future. (Nothing against rich, he seem like a good guy )
Rich is an awesome guy but I won't go back I almost did a few times but had a lot of issues with my 7 max. The dies were scratching the brass ended up buying another set just one thing after another lol brass would come and be different everytime had to size new brass to fit then buy a new bushing too very frustrating

Sherman is a con man. The guy post shit and numbers that any body with common sense would say no thanks. If you say anything negative on his page he deletes it. He starts with undersized brass and expands it 7, 8 or 9 tho at the 200 line. Mention pressure testing and he'll say he doesn't need it. The guy has no training in munitions whatsoever. I think he works in forestry or something. He has a following that thinks he walks on water, those that have problems with his stuff are ignored and deleted. The guy actually tells people losing primer pockets that it's their fault for not hardening the pockets prior to full loads or some shit.
Don't believe me....just watch his page.
Dude is straight up full of shit.

Just curious if OP’s chamber was cut with the gen 1 reamer? I called a month or so ago and all his reamers were being reground to new specs. It was to address case sticking and brass life. I suspect since reamers are being reground, this doesn’t help the OP as his chamber is likely larger than the new spec.

I saw the Alex Wheeler comment. I used his recommendations to spec out a 7-6.5 PRC wildcat (28 TAC) to avoid the 7 SAUM availability issues. Reamer due in a week!

Just curious if OP’s chamber was cut with the gen 1 reamer? I called a month or so ago and all his reamers were being reground to new specs. It was to address case sticking and brass life. I suspect since reamers are being reground, this doesn’t help the OP as his chamber is likely larger than the new spec.

I saw the Alex Wheeler comment. I used his recommendations to spec out a 7-6.5 PRC wildcat (28 TAC) to avoid the 7 SAUM availability issues. Reamer due in a week!
The reamer was definitely one of the first gens , they hadn't even put up load data yet when mine was chambered. This is news to me I'm glad you brought it up because Rich didn't mention it when i contacted him about this just a few months ago .

I think only certain ones have the Gen 2 reamers? Not all of them but rich would have to answer that.

Oh, I was pretty sure all of them went out to be recut, but I didn’t specifically ask about the 30 Sherman.

I guess you are trying to make something work that you already have, but it sounds like a slow 300PRC to me. I thought my 300PRC was slow….

I guess you are trying to make something work that you already have, but it sounds like a slow 300PRC to me. I thought my 300PRC was slow….
Just trying to get what what the cartridge is supposed to deliver , most my rifles I don't care about velocity but this one is fpr hunting and where I'm hunting has some longer shots so trying to keep the velocity up and accuracy acceptable .

Sherman is a con man. The guy post shit and numbers that any body with common sense would say no thanks. If you say anything negative on his page he deletes it. He starts with undersized brass and expands it 7, 8 or 9 tho at the 200 line. Mention pressure testing and he'll say he doesn't need it. The guy has no training in munitions whatsoever. I think he works in forestry or something. He has a following that thinks he walks on water, those that have problems with his stuff are ignored and deleted. The guy actually tells people losing primer pockets that it's their fault for not hardening the pockets prior to full loads or some shit.
Don't believe me....just watch his page.
Dude is straight up full of shit.
I was looking at building a 28 Sherman and reached out to rich on his FB page. I got ridiculed, called names, and kicked off the page for asking about pressures for the speeds these guys were claiming. Immediately saw through the chest pounding and decided to steer clear of that dude.

Myself, and two other guys I know have 30 SMags. They have 26” barrels getting 3,000fps with a 225 eldm. Shooting a mono in a 24” barrel getting 3050 with a 195. They’re using n570. I’m using Rl26.

Reactions: Taylorbok
I was looking at building a 28 Sherman and reached out to rich on his FB page. I got ridiculed, called names, and kicked off the page for asking about pressures for the speeds these guys were claiming. Immediately saw through the chest pounding and decided to steer clear of that dude.
Yup. Sounds about right. I asked how a 338 based on a 30-06 cartridge could manage 338 Lapua speeds and got purged.

I was looking at building a 28 Sherman and reached out to rich on his FB page. I got ridiculed, called names, and kicked off the page for asking about pressures for the speeds these guys were claiming. Immediately saw through the chest pounding and decided to steer clear of that

Yup. Sounds about right. I asked how a 338 based on a 30-06 cartridge could manage 338 Lapua speeds and got purged.
Yeah , I guess I got taken on this one, I'm gonna try starting fresh , new brass , straight prc load data looking for prc speeds , if that doesn't work out then I'll set it back about .500 and recamber or possibly bite the bullet and rebarrel , really sucks to take off a nearly new carbon barrel and have it bound for the trash .

Yeah , I guess I got taken on this one, I'm gonna try starting fresh , new brass , straight prc load data looking for prc speeds , if that doesn't work out then I'll set it back about .500 and recamber or possibly bite the bullet and rebarrel , really sucks to take off a nearly new carbon barrel and have it bound for the trash .
Don't throw it away I would go 2 to 4 grains over 300 prc load data or follow 30 nosler data the 2 are very close

I'll try that if the prc level loads fix the issue and see if I have that much leeway . Thanks
Give in a whirl with lower expectations.
Fire form your virgin brass with loads that are at the bottom end for 300 PRC loads, maybe a grain or two under minimum 300 PRC loads, and load them long enough so that the bullet is jammed into the chamber when loading.
After the first firing, then start cranking it up to max 300 PRC loads and over. Knowing what I know now I would of just went straight 300 prc to save costs on the dies, but its not a terrible setup as is. Good luck!

You obviously aren't aware of the Sherman Secret Sauce that creates velocity with pixie dust once you blow out the case to full dimension.... The Sherman crowd drove Proof to prohibit using their barrels after the constant bellyaching because guys were pressuring out before getting the velocities they were told were safely achievable. I can't believe people aren't blowing their faces off.

Last edited:
You obviously aren't aware of the Sherman Secret Sauce that creates velocity with pixie dust once you blow out the case to full dimension.... The Sherman crowd drove Proof to prohibit using their barrels after the constant bellyaching because guys were pressuring out before getting the velocities they were told were safely achievable. I can't believe people are blowing their faces off.
How can proof stop you from using thier barrel exactly? They have never asked me what I'm chambering.

Last edited:
How exactly can proof stop you from using thier barrel exactly? They have never asked me what I'm chambering.
I'm certain you can purchase a Proof blank and do as you wish. Proof was getting an extreme amount of problems from the Sherman crowd and stopped doing any warranty or qc work on Sherman chambered barrels. To the point that Mr Sherman posted in the group that He and Proof had parted ways and weren't working together going forward. Apparently there were some barrels that the bores were undersized and wouldn't reach desired velocities before pressuring out. If you've ever read the Sherman Facebook posts, you know that everyone is quoting ridiculous velocities and many were flabbergasted when their own barrel was falling 75 fps short of somebody else's numbers...

On a side note I did talk with a guy recently who purchased a 20" 300 PRC barrel as he was worried about weight. The next time I discussed it with him he was sending the barrel to Unknown Munitions to have a +P chamber cut into the brand new barrel. He stated their turn around time on the deal was going to be about a week. You might discuss your quandry with them.

I'm certain you can purchase a Proof blank and do as you wish. Proof was getting an extreme amount of problems from the Sherman crowd and stopped doing any warranty or qc work on Sherman chambered barrels. To the point that Mr Sherman posted in the group that He and Proof had parted ways and weren't working together going forward. Apparently there were some barrels that the bores were undersized and wouldn't reach desired velocities before pressuring out. If you've ever read the Sherman Facebook posts, you know that everyone is quoting ridiculous velocities and many were flabbergasted when their own barrel was falling 75 fps short of somebody else's numbers...

On a side note I did talk with a guy recently who purchased a 20" 300 PRC barrel as he was worried about weight. The next time I discussed it with him he was sending the barrel to Unknown Munitions to have a +P chamber cut into the brand new barrel. He stated their turn around time on the deal was going to be about a week. You might discuss your quandry with them.
I didn't know any one other than defensive edge did the +p treatment , good to know, my latest build is going to them to get the +p his turn around time is about a week also. I did know about the velocity issues with proof but was just interested in the manner they were using to stop sherman builds on thier blanks. Thanks for sharing your knowledge. Thanks to everyone involved to this point.

Sounds like overpressure to me.

OP says sized round chambers fine. He then has to hammer on the bolt handle to get it to extract.

Back the powder charge down and how does it do?

His loads don't seem to whack wouldn't hurt to back it down and try.
I'd like to know how much he's bumping his shoulders?

I actually had an issue with mine that the smith had chambered it short, he thought it was supposed to have .004" crush on the brass. (he should have just used the go-gauge) I essentially wasn't able to size the brass at all.

You obviously aren't aware of the Sherman Secret Sauce that creates velocity with pixie dust once you blow out the case to full dimension.... The Sherman crowd drove Proof to prohibit using their barrels after the constant bellyaching because guys were pressuring out before getting the velocities they were told were safely achievable. I can't believe people aren't blowing their faces off.

The Sherman crowd definitely seems to be full of fanatical zealots.

The old Shermanator!

sherman-1-e1462626292880.jpg

To the OP....

Your barrel could be undersize (aka a tight bore / tight groove barrel) that is one possibility of your pressure problems.

I've said this before and I'll say it again and it has already been mentioned here. There is no test data to back up what claims are made with any of the Sherman cartridges do in regards to pressure and velocities. I haven't seen a stitch anywhere of ammunition pressure and velocity data fired out of a P&V test barrel.

A +P cartridge on a centerfire gun? Back that up with hard data please out of a pressure test barrel. These are not 9mm Luger +P rounds etc...

I see not just on this forum but other forums or I'll say this... we get a guy calling and he tells us he has this given Sherman cartridge and his loads don't make any sense or rhyme or reason. GUYS.... BE CAREFUL is all I can say.

I've suggested and offered to make ammunition test barrels so they can do proper testing and I have a couple of places that would do the testing with no bias etc.. (yes they would have to pay for the testing as it's not free) but again I've never heard of any actual testing being done.

I'm pretty much to the point here that I no longer will warranty any barrel chambered in the Sherman rounds.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Atleast his advice is solid and consistent....
Screenshot_20230720_131712_Facebook.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230720_131500_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20230720_131500_Facebook.jpg
    297.2 KB · Views: 37
Admittedly I used to think the short action Sherman's were kind of a neat idea.

But after seeing how retardedly overpressure people are running those cartridges to get those velocities, I realized how overhyped they are.

Admittedly I used to think the short action Sherman's were kind of a neat idea.

But after seeing how retardedly overpressure people are running those cartridges to get those velocities, I realized how overhyped they are.
Ya, there is guys claiming 85gr N570 with 245/250gr bullets. I tested up to that point and it is definitely well passed acceptable pressure levels. I settled on 81gr with a 250 a-tip

• Haha
Reactions: BCX and kthomas
In my son's 30 SM, 85 Gr N570 in ADG brass w Berger 220 is about max on a hot day.

Ya, there is guys claiming 85gr N570 with 245/250gr bullets. I tested up to that point and it is definitely well passed acceptable pressure levels. I settled on 81gr with a 250 a-tip
How are the 250 a-tips working for you?

That's impressive. You running cip mags? 1-8 twist? N570 is awesome for speed
Ya CIP mags. 8.5 twist.
Honestly could probably stand on it harder but at mag length that's right where the powder started to compress and I was happy with the Velocity.

Ya CIP mags. 8.5 twist.
Honestly could probably stand on it harder but at mag length that's right where the powder started to compress and I was happy with the Velocity.
What's your max oal 3.740ish or so? Yeah I wouldn't change a thing that is impressive