• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes $300-500 Scope for 1000 yards.

afilion

Private
Minuteman
Oct 13, 2009
Somewhat of a budget build I am working on, Remington 700 26inch barrel in a B&C medalist. Anyway I really want to start shooting so I need an affordable optic.

Yes I do use the search feature and everyone leans towards Vortex pst Bushnell elite but a little out of my price range. I want variable power preferably over 10x. I was really considering SWFA SS fixed power 10x or 16x which for the price is great! I will be shooting out to 1000 yards with some buddies often so 10x would be stretching it.

Any suggestions or options for $300-500 price range (I could wait and buy a nice quality $1,000 scope but that will put me out of shooting for 3 months!) Reliability and holding zero are my main focus. If a fixed power scope like Bushnell 10x or SWFA 10x are the only quality, reliable options, then so be it.

Any input is greatly appreciated I want to start shooting just dont want to get burned on a scope that will piss me off down the road!

Re: $300-500 Scope for 1000 yards.

SWFA 16x SS 299$
the 10x is not good on small targets at 1k, big "people" size is ok..

Vortex Viper 6x20, 350 to 450$ GREAT Glass!

millet 35mm TPS, "ok" not great..

I'm looking for a scope in the same ranges. So far, the Vortex Viper or the SWFA 16x are what I've seen recommended a lot. Bushnell Elites are about the cheapest great quality scopes, but it isn't hard to find a deal on a used Nikon Monarch for 400-500 range. Just stay away from the temptation of the Nikon Buckmasters and the non-elite bushnells.

you should look at the falcon menace ffp 4x14x44 scope, its about $380 and is a great scope from what I hear.

save the money and wait 3 months you will be happy you did. if you can afford to wait it will be the best thing you can do as 16 power will likley be to high for close range and 16 power is realy the minimum you will want for long range.

the sightron SIII fixed power scopes are pretty nice. I just got one , the 20x40 30mm tube , its claims 150 moa travel. The clarity is good for the money , comparing to my NF BR , its not where near as good a the NF , but for the money i was impressed. The modified mil dot is just a mil dot reticle with hash marks between the mils. It's alright i guess.

i got it to my door for about 470 buck from these guys

http://www.bigsupplyshop.com/search.asp?keyword=sightron&sortby=0&catid=16

, i'd probably reccomend the 10x or 16x and not the 20 for 1000y shooting. The 20 power will block out most of the things you can call the wind from. But , the 20 power would be better on a calm day... or if you had a spotter

Over on 6mmbr.com a guy had two used Nightforce Varminter 3.5-15x56mm scopes for sale in the $750 range. I just bought one of these from a guy here and it's an awesome scope!

ETA: Never mind, they've sold. Check the boards though, both here and accurateshooter.com, there are a lot of scopes up for sale.

Leupold 6-18x 40mm varix-2 with target knobs. If you look around you can find them for 550$ awesome glass and the repeatability is second to none. I have two and have had them for the last 10 years without an issue. The only complaint I have is the lack of reticule options.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rusty815</div><div class="ubbcode-body">you should look at the falcon menace ffp 4x14x44 scope, its about $380 and is a great scope from what I hear.</div></div>

These are really nice scopes for the money. If you can find one one the used market, it's a pretty good bargain that would get you by for a while.

The new Vortex Viper HS 4x16x50 ahould work and come in right in the $500.00 range.

16X swfa's are junk, go with the vortex. better yet, wait three months and save up more $$. you get what you pay for in most optics.

(and this isn't "i heard" advice. beware of that )

Does anyone know if you can put tactical turrets on the viper 6-20X44? If so that would be probably my choice to keep cost down. If not i got a buddy with a Mark 4 LR/T 4.5-14x40mm target model looking to sell, i know you can buy the tactical turrets for around 120 bucks for elevation and windage, that would be another great set up.

when you say "tactical" turrets. are you referring to the custom BDC turrets? ..If you can get a used MK4 then there's really no question which one to get.

MK4 LRT come with M1 knobs already
Vortex Viper are capped target turrets

...I don't buy "super gluing" my scope knobs anyway..... like Vortex suggests on the BDC instruction sheet.

I ended up getting one of those Millett LRS-1 scopes and love it. I think it was around $500 or less with shipping, etc in the end. I have never looked through one of the high-end scopes the fellas on here speak of (and I'm glad I haven't because I'd probably want one then) but for shooting out to 800yds this works super for me (and that's comparing it to the low-end scopes 95% of shooters use.)

I can agree with the posts about waiting. Optic quality seems to coincide with price from what I have seen, so if you can throw more money at one then you're ahead.

Good luck and please post what you end up with. I'm always interested in opinions of this stuff. I'm just an enthusiast and not a marine sniper or anything like that, but feedback is good all the time.

Brian.