• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 AAC Blackout powder and bullets

BBURCH

Private
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2012
South Caroilna
I am building a 300 AAC Blackout. I am set up to reload for it but I'm not sure on what powder or what bullets to use. I want to surppress it so I'm looking for a subsoinc rd to shoot. Any opinions are great.
Thanks

Semper FI

Like shoot4fun said, go to 300BLKTalk. They have a lot of info, but look at info pertaining to your particular setup.

The brand of powder is somewhat contingent with your setup. However, the go to subsonic powder for an AR, is AA1680 with either a 208gr. Amax or 220 SMK. If you are running a carbine length set up and want to run subs, don't waste your time with any powder except AA1680. Lots of sad stories about people trying to runs subs with other powders and have had cycling issues. Pistol length gas systems seem to tolerate other powders in running subs, like AA5744. Though AA1680 is much like H4350, in that it can be very difficult to find. Good luck!!

I've run 10.8gr. of A1680 under 220gr. SMK's through both an 8.1" AR and a 16" AAC Bolt gun. I chrony'd the 8.1" at about 1030fps. Haven't chrony'd the 16" but with an SDN6 it's Hollywood quiet. You can hear that big 220gr. projectile WHACK the target louder than the report from the muzzle.

1680 is the best for subs across all platforms. I have been playing with some 4198 and some Reloder 7, but havent come up with anything conclusive YET.

Powders that work fairly well are on the burn rate charts from about 60-72. If you venture outside of that you get into uncharted territory. There are some guys loading Norma 300 which isnt on the burn rate charts(at least the newest Hodgdon chart) and its supposedly VERY similar to H110/296 in the burn rate. Some guys getting good results with it.

I'm using 4227 with 220 gr SMKs in a 10.2" Noveske. 9.5 gr gets me ~1060. It's reliable in my gun but 90-95% in my friends 16" AAC upper. I haven't been able to find any 1680 anywhere.

20gr H110 with a 110 Vmax gets me sub moa at 2283 fps and ~20 SD.