• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 barrel length. Advice wanted.

dcshoo11

Private
Minuteman
Jul 20, 2010
Hey guys, looking for some advice/input from everyone on here. I am going to have a .300 Win Mag made, and cant decide on a barrel length. Heres what I plan on doing:
Surgeon action,
Mcree Precision Stock
Jewell Trigger.
Nightforce F1 with a horus reticle.
Krieger 5R chrome-moly 1/10 twist, MTU contour, Fluted barrel. Going to have the barrel threaded as well so I can throw a can on it.

I am thinking about putting a 20-24" barrel on the rifle, but am not sure how the length will affect overall range/accuracy. I want to be able to optimize the max range from the .300 win mag cartridge, with the shortest barrel I can go with. Id still like to hit targets at 1000+ with a shorter barrel. Can you guys give some input on this for me?

Re: .300 barrel length. Advice wanted.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcshoo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, looking for some advice/input from everyone on here. I am going to have a .300 Win Mag made, and cant decide on a barrel length. Heres what I plan on doing:
Surgeon action,
Mcree Precision Stock
Jewell Trigger.
Krieger 5R chrome-moly 1/10 twist, MTU contour, Fluted barrel. Going to have the barrel threaded as well so I can throw a can on it.

I am thinking about putting a 20-24" barrel on the rifle, but am not sure how the length will affect overall range/accuracy. I want to be able to optimize the max range from the .300 win mag cartridge, with the shortest barrel I can go with. Id still like to hit targets at 1000+ with a shorter barrel. Can you guys give some input on this for me? </div></div>

Depending on how far you want to optimize the range. I have a 26" barrel that I have pushed it out to 1500+ already. Should be able to reach 1 mile. Also, depending on the purpose of the rifle. I lug mine out in the desert with a 26" barrel and an FTE muzzle brake.

done mine in 24" haven't got it yet
Action:-Stiller Predator Tac 300
Picatinny Rail
Trigger:-Jewell trigger with bottom safety
Stock:-Mcmillan A5 marble finnish 60%black 40%od Acc. spacer system butt pad
integral cheek piece anodized anschutz rail in bottom forend
Barrel:- lilga barrel fluted in 24'' 10 in 1 twist
threaded for muzzle brake and thread protection cap
Brake:-Vias
Finnish:- cerakoted matte black

I went 24" on my hunting rifle. Shooting 190gr Berger @ 3030fps
with Retumbo.
I am not sure how far you want to take the 300WM or what you are going to use it for, but my setup will go to 1000 yards easy enough.

Also, get rid of the Jewell trigger as they break way to easily. Get a CG Jackson trigger. These are match quality triggers that are built like tanks. I have the Tactical model and the match model with safety. Both are great, but for the field the Tactical model is always the one I prefer.

http://www.x-tremeshooting.com/

CG X-Treme Mod 22 2-stage Trigger for the Remington 700

mod22_tactical-small.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is your answer:

BARREL LENGTH AND THE PRECISION RIFLE
Why shorter barrels may often be better

http://www.tacticaloperations.com/swatdec2000/index.html</div></div>

Not really the answer unless you plan on using FGMM 190. If you plan on using the 300WM with heavier bullets and slower powders and reach out farther with it I would stay at 26" but definitely wouldn't go shorter than 24" at the minimum.

I do agree with dropping the Jewell but would recommend the Rifle Basix or Shilen as a replacement.

That Tacoperations article might contain information relevant to that specific mission, but it contains contradictions for regular shooters. They wax for paragraphs about the benefits of short barrels (ease of maneuver, lower weight, etc), and then immediately afterwards note that short barrels result in higher recoil impulses and increased muzzle flash, which can be offset by adding suppressors, which of course add length and weight. Why not just shoot a longer barrel?

The authors note that it would be rare for any police sniper to shoot further than 100 yards, but then go on to try to justify a 1000 yard rifle and the "need" for a .300 win mag in the police arsenal. Perhaps someone could lay out a scenario where any policeman is going to shoot 1000 yards at a bad guy? Go ahead, use your imaginations. I'd really like to hear this. I reserve the right to pick apart any scenario you can some up with.

The article used only one specific type of ammunition for the test, rendering the results, such as they are, valid only for that brand and specific load of ammo. The applicability of those results is not broad as some here claim they are towards any general understanding of barrel length issues as they might influence your decision with your build.

After reading about Mike R's advice on 300WM barrel length, I decided to try a shorter barrel. Especially since everyone said it wouldn't work. So my last barrel was cut to 22". Everybody was right. Now the bullets get to the end of the barrel and just fall out on the ground. Extremely disappointing.

Just kidding.
wink.gif

YOU won't know what YOUR rifle will do, unless YOU try it. Every rifle is a little different. I *would* recommend going no shorter than 22" though.

Depending on brass and load, I'm getting 2870 fps with 208 Amax's. It will shoot in the .2's at 100 yds, if I'm caffeine free, and has held roughly MOA out to 2296 yds.

That said, my next barrel will probably be a 26 or 28". I've gotten addicted to shooting ELR and I need a little more velocity to get out to 2.5K and further.

John

I'm having one built with that exact same barrel and I opted for 28". I prefer the extra speed myself, so that was my rationale. I personally don't think that a few inches on a barrel make that much of a difference with regards to ease of movement and functionality in the field unless you are in some dense wood cover. Weight difference doesn't seem like much on an issue either unless you are lugging this thing around all day. If that's the case, you might want to spec your rifle a little different.

I run a 26" 1-11.25. I'm getting 3150fps with 190s. the rifle dosen't feel too long for me and it shoots great.

I had a 25.5" 1:10. I was getting 2960 with 210 bergers. Never had a problem getting 1500 yards. I had to pick good days to shoot at a mile, but I am at sea level.

It's going to be 28" on mine. That way I can always cut it and recrown it down the road when it's time to, and still enjoy the performance.

as far as the triggers for tactial/field use. what do you guys prefer. im trying to decide between timney, and rifle basix. i wanted a jewell until i heard all the negative feedback about how they break/fail easily when dirty.

Either will work fine.

I read in an older post with the same topic about barrel length on the 300 win mag, and Lowlight replied and said he was thinking about trying a 20 inch barrel with a can. Wonder if he ever attempted it, I would be curious to know what the results were.

Here's a link to the old post:

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1456574

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dcshoo11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, looking for some advice/input from everyone on here. I am going to have a .300 Win Mag made, and cant decide on a barrel length. Heres what I plan on doing:
Surgeon action,
Mcree Precision Stock
Jewell Trigger.

I am thinking about putting a 20-24" barrel on the rifle, but am not sure how the length will affect overall range/accuracy. I want to be able to optimize the max range from the .300 win mag cartridge, with the shortest barrel I can go with. Id still like to hit targets at 1000+ with a shorter barrel. Can you guys give some input on this for me? </div></div>

The max range of a .300 win mag is directly related to barrel length and bullets you are shooting... for every inch you give up 20fps or so..

This example is based of a 308 but you will get the idea. Barrel length is your friend.

I ran some numbers in QuickLoad to compare wind drift vs. barrel length. I used a .308, new SMK 155s and the powder which gave the greatest velocity at a set PSI per barrel length. I believe it is important to choose the best powder maximizing velocity at each length.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Code:</div><div class="ubbcode-body ubbcode-pre" ><pre>Barrel fps Drift 500 Drift 1000
32 3060 18 90.4
28 2988 18.7 94.2
24 2902 19.6 99.1
20 2793 20.8 106
16 2648 22.5 116.1</pre></div></div>

As you can see the 32" barrel will shoot "inside" the 16" barrel by 4.5" @ 500 & 25.7" @ 1000. I know that is an extreme example but barrel length adds velocity and velocity is our friend. A short barrel might be worth it to you for weight or size but it does come at a cost.

Are you going to be hunting with this rifle... If not, way not build a 260 or 243 lighter package and equal or more likely better ballistics than the 300.

I have 700P in .300 win mag and just had the barrel cut to 22" and added a muzzel brake I plan on getting a SRT suppressor. I hope I get time to shoot it this weekend.