• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes 300 Blackout 16" barrel - Which way?

Old Bear

Private
Minuteman
Sep 22, 2014
Tennessee
I've spent months scouring the Internet, and this forum, for every little tidbit of info to help me decide. I'm down to the last few decisions, and want your opinion! I built an AR with a 300 Blackout 16" barrel, and it has an AAC can on it. I like the ballistics of the 125gr boattails, but range time may change this. This rifle may be used for hunting, it is my SHTF rifle, but hopefully will simply be my stress relief, ringing steel and poking holes. I went with a 16" barrel (instead of an SBR like my bud wanted me to) for the extra velocity, and I wanted to show that the 300 can be just as accurate as my old 5.56 Bushmaster was, albeit with a shorter range. And I could be wrong! I have a Trijicon RMR that I can mount at a 45 degree angle, but haven't yet. I have been approved for the Leupold military discount.

SO, I'm thinking perhaps the Mark 6 1-6x20 TMR-D. Glass gets good marks, turrets not so much, good daylight red dot at 1by. Light weight as well.
But I really like the Mark 8 1.1-8x24 M-TMR. My old eyes would like the extra magnification. That recticle sucks in that it has no red-dot, but I have the RMR, so should I care? Even saw a comment that the glass is so good, the red dot wasn't needed, not sure what that was supposed to mean. Other than that, everything I've read screams "good scope" and I do like buying USA when I can without getting burned.
Seeing however, how I do have the TMR, should I forgo any 1-by and go with a Mark 6 3-18x44 TMR with no illumination? I won't bother shooting this beyond 400 yards max, so is having that magnification just a waste?

Those are in my price range with the military discount, and that is part of the reason for the recticle choices. I'm looking for opinions, and those are even better if you are shooting the 300BLK!

Oh, I've lurked this forum for a long time. I'm impressed with the quality and depth of knowledge shared on here, and am especially impressed that you can carry on a discussion and disagree without it degenerating into a flame-war.

Got two of the three you're looking at, the Mark 6 1-6x and the CQBSS. My vote for your caliber/scope combination would be the Mark 6 1-6x. I don't know who you're hearing the turrets suck from, but I certainly don't think that's the case on mine one bit. Locking at "0", don't lock past there, easy dialing and low profile. What's not to like?

Got two of the three you're looking at, the Mark 6 1-6x and the CQBSS. My vote for your caliber/scope combination would be the Mark 6 1-6x. I don't know who you're hearing the turrets suck from, but I certainly don't think that's the case on mine one bit. Locking at "0", don't lock past there, easy dialing and low profile. What's not to like?
Thank you! What I read on the Mark 6 wasn't that they suck, but some didn't care for the way the lock worked and comments about feeling "squishy" but even then, they would throw in the caveat that they worked fine. Nice to hear from someone that has both - the ultimate "hands-on" comparison!

I think they were referring to the pinch type turrets on the 3-18x. The 1-6x has very positive clicks, a simple detent button to release the lock and only locks at one point. Mine is the CMR-W 7.62 reticle where you would want it locked at a certain position, but if you're dialing and using center then you're dialing anyhow.

I placed a Swarovski Z6i BDC 1-6 on my 300BLK and couldn't be happier.