• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Blackout Bolt Gun or 308 Subsonic

For those using Bullseye in their sub rounds, is anyone using it in 308 or is it only used in 300 BO? Is there a good source of reloading data for Bullseye in a 308 sub? I know Hodgdon published a 308 sub loads using Trailboss.

Source: http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/data/rifle

For those using Bullseye in their sub rounds, is anyone using it in 308 or is it only used in 300 BO? Is there a good source of reloading data for Bullseye in a 308 sub? I know Hodgdon published a 308 sub loads using Trailboss.
I've used Bullseye, 700X, Clays, Red Dot, an a host of other Pistol an Shotgun powders. 700X gives me the best groups but does not meter well in my thrower, Red Dot is next best w/Clays an Bullseye a very close. Start high an work back. My go to when it has to be right there is 7.8grs of 700X lite with a WLR/P pushing a Lyman cast bullet from a 311284 mold, w/a Hornady gas check. Red dot is 7.8 also. The 700x is under MOA to 200yds, an if you can read mother good it will still be under moa to 400yds. The Red Dot load runs 1.25 - 1.3/4 MOA depending lot numbers, but even this is over kill on most targets. Both have more ass at 400yds than a USGI 230gr 45acp at the muzzle. If using Jacketed bullets you will need about 0.5- 1.0 gr more powder to achieve the same speed as a cast load in a 308.

Reactions: dinc3
I've used Bullseye, 700X, Clays, Red Dot, an a host of other Pistol an Shotgun powders. 700X gives me the best groups but does not meter well in my thrower, Red Dot is next best w/Clays an Bullseye a very close. Start high an work back. My go to when it has to be right there is 7.8grs of 700X lite with a WLR/P pushing a Lyman cast bullet from a 311284 mold, w/a Hornady gas check. Red dot is 7.8 also. The 700x is under MOA to 200yds, an if you can read mother good it will still be under moa to 400yds. The Red Dot load runs 1.25 - 1.3/4 MOA depending lot numbers, but even this is over kill on most targets. Both have more ass at 400yds than a USGI 230gr 45acp at the muzzle. If using Jacketed bullets you will need about 0.5- 1.0 gr more powder to achieve the same speed as a cast load in a 308.
Thanks Gunfighter for the reply! I have a bunch of Bullseye, like 6 lbs, so I was hoping to give that a whirl in 308. I did use Trailboss in my 300 BO AR but found that you needed a compressed load and barely made 800 fps shooting 150 gr FMJ. I haven't tried Trailboss in 308 (yet).

Jacked I don't mold my own bullets.

With a 1/8 I can shoot anything. Suppressed or unsuppressed groups are great.

With a 1/10 I couldn't stabilize everything.
I have a Remington 700 aac-sd in 300bo. It came with a factory 10 twist barrel and 220s would keyhole a silhouette of the bullet. Sent it back to AAC and had the correct barrel on it. No problems now. On a side note, unless the suppressor comes completely apart, there's no way I'd shoot lead through it.

I use Trailboss, 180grain Hornady round nose, lapua case and CCI200 primers. Right around 3/4 moa out of a 24" 1:12 barrel. Sounds like a BB gun. I think it's around 980fps. I've only taken it to 300 yards but it's a lot of fun.

I say 308 and load your own subsonic.

On a side note, unless the suppressor comes completely apart, there's no way I'd shoot lead through it.
I must like right as I've about 15K threw one. I clean it with whats called the "Dip" every 3-4K rds an todate have never had an issue. Just make SURE YOU USE AN DISPOSE of it properly.

You guys that cast your own subs will not want to use a std lubricator/sizer press as the groove lube with be ejected into the can each bullet. Instead use the Lee liquid Alox. When using the Lee for subs you only need a very, very light coat. I've never had issue with lead as I can switch between lead an H/S jacketed at any time an they both are right were they are supposed to be. Never use any gas check but Hornady, as most of the others are designed to exit the bullet at the muzzle an with a can on, they WILL start collecting in the can. The Hornady's have a locking ring that when installed properly prevents that from happening.

Thanks Gunfighter for the reply! I have a bunch of Bullseye, like 6 lbs, so I was hoping to give that a whirl in 308. I did use Trailboss in my 300 BO AR but found that you needed a compressed load and barely made 800 fps shooting 150 gr FMJ. I haven't tried Trailboss in 308 (yet).
Trail boss is super puffy. Its made to fill larger cases with low pressures. When you buy a can of it you only get half a pound in the jug instead of a standard full pound.

For a blackout something like CFE BLK would be preferred for heavy subs and makes it an easy safe answer. With 150s and CFE BLK I pushed them to 1800 fps. For 150s I guess the pistol powders youre discussing with gunfighter would probably be a better bet for subsonic.
Trailboss takes up too much volume for the amount of energy it contains to get you any more speed in a blackout. Trailboss is a better match for the bigger 308 subs.

Trail boss is super puffy. Its made to fill larger cases with low pressures. When you buy a can of it you only get half a pound in the jug instead of a standard full pound.

For a blackout something like CFE BLK would be preferred for heavy subs and makes it an easy safe answer. With 150s and CFE BLK I pushed them to 1800 fps. For 150s I guess the pistol powders youre discussing with gunfighter would probably be a better bet for subsonic.
Trailboss takes up too much volume for the amount of energy it contains to get you any more speed in a blackout. Trailboss is a better match for the bigger 308 subs.
Thanks for the reply Spife7980. Trailboss is most definitely a low-density powder! I'm going to try out some in 308. Maybe this will convince me to get a suppressor.