• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Blackout Primers

jkonzal

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 1, 2011
NE WA
Dealing with subsonic loads, has anybody done any testing on primers with 300 BLK loads? I've been using Rem 7 1/2's because that's what comes in the brass. Going to start reloading fire-formed brass. Just wondering if anybody has taken their developed load and tried it with other primers to see if it changed anything.

I run CCI41's almost exclusively simply because they are easy for me to get and some times cheaper than regular primers.

Supposedly the Win primers are quieter with the subs, I dont know.

I want to try some Wolf/Tula's because they are supposed to be very good for very cheap.

Subsonic loads....I've heard rumor that Fed small pistol match primers work really well. Might be worth trying/investigating.

Subsonic loads....I've heard rumor that Fed small pistol match primers work really well. Might be worth trying/investigating.

Federal small pistol primers are the darlings of the action pistol games because they're the easiest to set off with light hammer and striker springs.

I doubt it would be a problem with a bolt gun, but it's probably a bad idea in an AR.

Federal small pistol primers are the darlings of the action pistol games because they're the easiest to set off with light hammer and striker springs.

I doubt it would be a problem with a bolt gun, but it's probably a bad idea in an AR.

Never been an issue in AR and accuracy was significantly better. YMMV

I use Tula SR in mine under 11 grains of aa1680, 220 SMK, and they are whisper quiet and more accurate than using CCI's.

My first loads for my .300 black out were with small pistol primers. Several had holes blown through the primers at the firing pin indentation. No issues with federal small rifle primers.

I've not yet used Tula small rifle primers in my .300 black out but they have been working great in my .223 reloads and should work just as well with the .300 black out.

I'd steer you away from Tula small pistol primers (for pistols) as I've had issues in my M&P pistols with those primers.

I use nothing but Federal small rifle primers in all my 300 ammo. Both subs and supersonic.

ES and SD numbers are low and accuracy is good.

I've been using CCI and Winchester small rifle with great results. Pretty sure there's not enough of a difference to matter but that's opinion of course.

I use CCI small rifle in both my sub and super 300 loads. Works great with every powder I've ever used in the 300.

I have used all kinds and brands but the Remington primers, I have had pierced primers with subsonic and small pistol, I stick to small rifles from now on and standard or magnum makes no dif in my experience.

+1 ... stick with rifle primers even sub.