• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 Blackout

backy33

Private
Minuteman
Nov 10, 2011
I am looking at case trimmers to get for the 300 blackout(and everything else) and am comparing the giraud and the dillion rapid trim 1200.

My main questions is will the giraud trim off all the excess brass that needs to be like the dillon will? Obviously with having to trim the brass past the shoulder that is a significant amount. It looks like the Dillon has no problem with this. Will the giraud do the same without a lot of effort?

Re: 300 Blackout

No, the Giraud uses a single point bit to trim instead of the normal looking cutting heads.

I have to imagine it would be feasable to come up with a cutter that would remove the entire neck, as the Giraud is bery robust.
I have to wonder how hot the brass case would get, though.

have seen youtube vids about people using mini cuttoff saws. set up a jig and cut away most of the neck, then trim to final length

Dillon recommends strongly against using their trimmer in this manner.

Posted 5/4/12 by Dillon on Enos:
Keep in mind that using a Dillon RT1200 to trim the entire .500" or so off of a 223 case WILL destroy certain internal components of the trimmer. This constitutes abuse, and is not covered under warranty. Please use a different method (cutoff wheel, bandsaw, etc) to trim the bulk of the case down, and use the RT1200 only to remove the last .025" or less. This is the reason Dillon does not offer a trim die for 300 Blackout, as we are seeing too many users attempting to process 223 brass into 300 Blackout soleely using the trimmer, then they complain that it doesn't hold up. The trimmer is intended to typically remove .010" or so of brass is all. If you destroy a trimmer we know specifically which parts will fail, then you will unjustly blame us when we refuse to replace it.

I just got an email back from them stating the warranty is void if you use it for this reason. So what is the next best option?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rmfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The cut-off part of the operation is a PITA. That's why I just bought 500 pieces of 300 Blackout from Hoser.</div></div>

Yep, me too, it's good stuff. I made my first few hundred. Cut the brass with a dremel, then squared and trimmed them down. It was a bit of a pain. Remington is selling factory brass too.

Does anyone haven an RCBS single stage that have used the RT1200 on top of it? From everything I've heard it works fine but want to make sure before dropping the cash

Also, would like to know more methods of cutting down 223 brass to a blackout. Heard of one method of using a nothern mini saw. Dont really want to void the warranty on a rt1200 and dont want to hand trim. Anyone used the mini saw?

I use the Possum Hollow trimmer chucked into a hand drill. Wear gloves as the hand holding the brass will get hot.