• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

300 Blackout ?

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 3, 2006
Deer Park, Texas
Does anyone make an aftermarket barrel that is a 1 in 12, to 1 in 15 twist that is more suited specifically for light weight projectiles?

There is NO problem shooting light weight stuff in a 7 or 8 twist barrel.

What issue's do you foresee cropping up?

I have shot everything from 110g VMAX and Blacktips all the way to 240g SMK's in my 7 twist AAC barrel.

Twist rate is not the issue with a Blackout. It's the massive throat they put in it for subsonics. The accuracy of the supers suffers because there's a good amount of jump to the lands.

I just want to get the velocity up. You can get more v with a slower twist bbl and I have NO intent of ever shooting heavies from a Blackout

I would post this over on 300BLKTalk where Robert Silvers from AAC is and see what his thoughts.

I dont think you would see any kind of appreciable increase in velocity personally. Maybe 50fps. Its not going to turn the gun into a real .308 velocity gun with the extremely small powder load.

I had a buddy that wanted to get a 20" 300BLK Barrel, but after research and question asking it was determined that the extra 4" of barrel wouldnt really do anything for velocity except maybe a VERY small change since the 16" barrel is even overkill from a powder burn perspective.

I dont think I would go any slower than 12 twist personally. Black Hole Weaponry has an 11 twist and they are polygonal rifling which the polygonal SHOULD help increase velocity slightly too.

Last edited:
I just want to get the velocity up. You can get more v with a slower twist bbl and I have NO intent of ever shooting heavies from a Blackout
Than go with 6.8 . The whole purpose of 300 blackout is subsonic And you need 208 + for that I use smk220 for mine.