• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300 BLK for hogs

Pigman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 30, 2011
Katy, TX
Has anyone tried out the .300 BLK for hogs? Particularly within 50-75 yards or so. I just ordered a 6.8 upper for my AR15 from Specialized Dynamics for the longer shots and for when I'm hunting hogs on a pond. I was gonna use my 5.56 for when we walk around since it's alot lighter but I'm thinking that I might get a .300 BLK upper for walking if it outperforms the 5.56 within 75 yards which is about the farthest distance I would be shooting while walking.

Re: 300 BLK for hogs

I hear good things about them even past 100 yards. Houston armory who is a sponsor here swears by them.

Thanks Scotty22.

That is all we pretty much shoot nowadays with killing pigs. Especially around here, there is no shortage of pigs to test various different ammo on. Currently we are using either a 8 or 9" suppressed SBR for killing pigs around town. We have tested 110 AMAXs to the 220 SMKs. Best results we have gotten so far is with the 130gr MK319 bullets. But the 110gr VMAX's will do in a pinch. Shot placement is key with those as I have yet have one drop DRT unless it was a head shot. The 125gr Remington Match and the 220s just zip right through without a problem.

Stay tuned, we have a couple of new products in 300 AAC Blackout coming out that we are testing.

I've killed quite a lot of hogs, and many with 5.56, 300BLK, and the 6.8. All 3 will work. The 6.8 is decidedly more effective...very noticeably more effective especially if the hogs are of any size at all.......

My favorite 6.8 load uses the Barnes 95gr TTSX and it runs 2850ps out of my 16" AR barrel.

YMMV.

Do y'all think the ammo prices will go down whenever more manufacturers release ammo? I'm not really liking the $30/box as opposed to $15-20/box for 5.56 and 6.8 ammo.

Prices have already come down on 300 Blackout Ammo. While 300 Blackout ammo will probably never be as cheap as 556, there are quite a few out right now that is in the 60-70 cents per round range, and that is a lot better then good 6.8 ammo that is closer to a dollar a round. For blasting ammo, we use 147gr ammo that Summit Ammunition reloads for at at 65 each. It's new LC brass with new 147gr FMJ bullets. We also have some 130gr stuff that should be going close to 2300FPS out of a 16" barrel, which is much faster then others coming out to market. When we get those in, that is all we will be hunting with. I also hear that Remington is bringing out some even cheaper UMC ammo at around 50 cents each.

The 300 Blackout has really taken off in the year or so it has been around (not counting the proprietary 300 whisper). I would say that it is probably the second most popular centerfire rifle round in the AR platform right behind the 556. A lot of my customers have abandoned the 6.8 because you have to get a special bolt and special magazines for the conversion.