• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 blk subs at 300yd?

higginsworksforme

Private
Minuteman
Jul 12, 2009
Kentucky
My range is 300 yards and I'm interested in shooting 300blk subs at that distance. My brief research shows they drop 10' from 100yd to 300yd. Is this doable or will I just be frustrated?

I guess my question is ... Why? As in ... Why do you want to shoot a subsonic 300-BLK round out to 300 yards? I load my 300-BLK to use for home defense with a suppressor on a pistol-braced SBR. And I zero it at 25 yards since nothing in my house is further than that. My 16" 300-BLK AR is the one I zero at 100 and shoot out to 500 yards. The "Why" kind of matters here. Unless the answer is "Because I'm just curious". In that case, go give it a try and test for yourself.

Your research showed you need to dial up 10 moa of elevation or they actually only drop 10" at 300 yards? Seems like they'd drop more than that.

Of course it’s been done…for shits and giggles. Pull the trigger and 2 seconds later the steel target reports. It’s comical and entertaining for a few rounds. That’s about it. Practically, there’s no reason for it. Similar to .22lr at 500 yards. People still do it.

Reactions: TrevK
Mortar practice with a red dot on my 300BO and subs at 300 yds....
As stated, only for the satisfying clang against steel if there's anybody there to hear it hit.
Other than that it's a just a novelty.
But a pretty viable platform for 50 yds and under.

Reactions: TrevK
Not really sure what your question is? Yep, people have been shooting for hundreds of years, with things that weren't exactly "flat" shooting and without the aid of laser range finders, ballistic calculators and five'll get ya ten x-ray vision scopes. :D

The fact that it'll be frustrating IS the reason to do it.

Of course it’s been done…for shits and giggles. Pull the trigger and 2 seconds later the steel target reports. It’s comical and entertaining for a few rounds. That’s about it. Practically, there’s no reason for it. Similar to .22lr at 500 yards. People still do it.
Yeah ... agreed ... I've done it a few times aiming super high to occasionally hear the non-lethal "click" of the steel target at 300 yards. The excitement wanes quickly as I get back to drills that actually have practical application. I shoot everything suppressed, so the real fun of subsonic 300-BLK is the chance to shoot without hearing protection.

So has anybody done this?
yeah, I have three 300 blks that I've done it, and tried doing it with.
I have a 10" bolt gun(5 twist), a 7" Honey badger clone (5 twist) and a 16" Ultra Match Ar barrel (8 twist)
My home range has 25, 100, 200 and 300yd berms as well, with steel hanging it at 200 and 300.
The 16" Ar has done it a few times and the 10" bolt gun can as well, both running LPOVs. The shorty I don't even try shooting that far with a red dot...I lobbed a few ones but didn't even come close.
I do run 110 supers out there pretty easy though. Bought them to use for coyotes.
I think it would be a lot more fun with full size IPSC plates, but with 6, 8, 10 and 12" circles...you gotta be on your game for sure.
Can I do it with my current set ups...yep. It's pretty sweet actually. You can WATCH the bullet fly like a golf ball if you're spotting.

With the price of subs right now...meh...I'll pass