• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 blk subsonic question

GrantB

Private
Minuteman
May 23, 2010
Louisiana
I'm trying to run 165 grain bullets subsonic and having a velocity problem. I'm getting 100 + fps changes in velocity 850 to 950. I'm running a 10.5" barrel with 10.5 grains of 1680. running unsuppressed for now and have no problem with cycling after I opened the adjustable gas block 2 turns.
The only reason I'm trying 165's is because I have a bunch on hand, if they won't work i'll just get some 200+ grain. Has anybody had this problem before?

a little more powder may help but I think your spinning your wheels with a gas gun unless you shut your gas block off and shoot them like a bolt action. try you some 208 grain amax start at 11 grains of 1680 and work down to 1050 fps.

running a light crimp from something like a Lee FCD seems to calm down the spreads that 300BLK sees, but large spreads do seem to be common with it. Usually not the case, but I have seen some GREAT groups out of the 300BLK from guys that showed crazy ES's.

So in general i would be better off running heavy bullets instead of mid weight for subs. I've been through the process of trying to force a round peg in a square hole before and it never works out. I'll get some heavy bullets and give it a try. Any tricks to loading the heavy bullets in the 300 that make them perform better.

Ive settled on the 208g AMAX, but the 220g SMK and 220g Nosler CC are also great bullets. I just have better availability of the 208g AMAX locally so I choose to run them. The 220g Nosler CC's are pretty easy to find as well.

As for powder, A1680 and H4198 are probably the two best. 4198 is a bit cleaner than A1680.

The issue I see with loading smaller charges with shorter(lighter) bullets is that you arent filling up the case with much powder and thus get un-even burns. Thats one thing that shooting the heavy, long bullets gives you. It fills up the case itself quite a bit plus you need a bit more powder to send it down range thus getting closer to the optimum case capacity for an even burn.

Been happy with LilGun and 240SMKs, but the 220 is a better choice. My 240s only run 100% in Teflon coated aluminum mags. My ES for 14 different charge weights was between 4 and 30 with most in the teens and low 20s. I do not add any crimp at all.