• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing 300 BLK Whitetail Ammo

Junkie

Private
Minuteman
Jul 18, 2010
I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the terminal ballistics of 300 BLK ammo? I am going to be using my 8" SBR and was looking at the Barnes 110 gr VOR-TX ammo or the Remington 130 gr Hog Hammer TSX. Most shots will be within 50 yards and at most out to 150 yards. I am sure either round will do fine but I am curious if anyone has first hand experience with them. Thanks.

I've used the 300 BLK Barnes VOR-TX to dispatch several med to large hogs at my friend's ranch in Oklahoma.

It has done so with absolute authority out to 200 yards. I'm absolutely sure it will perform on deer at similar to longer ranges.

Plus, it was a bunch of fun using my PVS-14 behind an Aimpoint Micro to take crtters (including skunks) at 150+ yards in near total darkness.

Never used the hog hammer, but the VOR-TX would be my go to bullet for most any ame animal I'll pursue with the 300 BLK.

The barnes 110's are awesome I shoot the south west ammo barnes 110's out of my 8" sbr and it kills just great, I shot an axis buck last year at 300 yards and it went through both shoulders and was bedded just under the skin, I recovered the bullet and had full expansion which suprised me a little for the distance it was shot at. I'll post a pick of the bullet sometime next week when I get home from traveling for work

106acdj.jpg

Thanks. That is exactly what I needed to know. They shoot great out of my gun, but have never tested the terminal ballistics. I will post any results I get from this year's hunt.

I've used the Barnes Vor-tx 110 grain on 3 hogs (all were 150-ish lbs) and it killed them on the spot. We've shot 8 or so with 110 Vmax's also and it nails them just as dead. Farthest shot was 110 yards.

Thanks. That is exactly what I needed to know. They shoot great out of my gun, but have never tested the terminal ballistics. I will post any results I get from this year's hunt.

Awesome! Best of luck with this years hunting season

I know this thread is a bit dated, but sierra pro hunter 125 grn soft points work very well on deer inside of 100 yards, i havent taken one further than that.