• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 BO Howa Oryx, or R700 SPS?

101stinfantry

Minuteman
  • Feb 14, 2017
    AR
    Thinking about a .300 BO bolt gun, so far the two I've found that I like are the Howa Mini Action Oryx, and the Remington R700 SPS. I have never owned a bolt gun by either maker (at leas that I can remember). With either one it'll probably be a suppressed subsonic gun, just for paper and steel. Which one should I be looking at? Also, I've read that .300 BO, and be a challenge to get to shoot decent, is that true? Is it worth the time, or should I just stick with the 8" barreled AR that I already have? Thanks

My vote would be the Howa. Buy the barreled action on sale at Brownells, dump it in the chassis and you are done. If you get the SPS (for about the same price) you will immediately want to dump the trigger and stock.

CZ has a model 527 in 300 BO. Nice factory trigger and plenty accurate. Not much of an aftermarket though.

You may also want to consider the Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK.

Of the two options you've listed, though, I only have experience with the Howa mini (though not in 300 BLK), and I like them a LOT. They're great little guns. I obviously have experience with R700s, but none in that chambering.

Rifle on the left is a Howa mini in 7.62x39, and on the right is a Ruger American Ranch in 300 BLK:

Cousin rifles.jpg

Reactions: rookie7
    Well damn, I was looking a little closer, and the Remington comes with a crap stock, I thought it was at least an HS Precsion.