• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 BO Reloading With .223 Dies?

RLinNH

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 23, 2019
I am reloading on a Dillon 550C. I am asking this question because I was told that the only part that needs changing in order to reload .300 BO on a .223 setup is the Powder funnel. Change the powder funnel on station 2 over to a .30 cal funnel and you are off to the races. Does this theory hold water in practice? A .22 and a .30 caliber bullet, obviously, have different circumferences. So I am wondering about resizing/bullet seating/bullet crimping. And as I type this, and I reread it, it makes no sense to me. :confused:

I think whoever told you this was referring to the caliber conversion kit that Dillon uses. A caliber conversion kit usually consists of the locating buttons, shell plate, and powder funnel. The shell plate and the buttons are the same for both calibers as they use the same parent case (.223). The powder funnel is different length and internal diameter. Since 2 of 3 items are the same, buy a powder funnel and you don't need the kit.

This has nothing to do with the toolhead setup you are using. Yes - you need to buy 300 BO specific dies and either swap them out, or get another toolhead and swap the whole head (it was designed for this). Make sense?

Reactions: DanGroves
I think whoever told you this was referring to the caliber conversion kit that Dillon uses. A caliber conversion kit usually consists of the locating buttons, shell plate, and powder funnel. The shell plate and the buttons are the same for both calibers as they use the same parent case (.223). The powder funnel is different length and internal diameter. Since 2 of 3 items are the same, buy a powder funnel and you don't need the kit.

This has nothing to do with the toolhead setup you are using. Yes - you need to buy 300 BO specific dies and either swap them out, or get another toolhead and swap the whole head (it was designed for this). Make sense?

I also believe you are 100% correct. I just picked up the .300 AAC Die Kit for a Dillon 550. One would think that Dillon would offer this die set in Steel, seeing as how popular it is. That would be a No Go Ghost Rider. Carbide Die Sets only for this Caliber. Ah well. Looking forward to playing with some subsonic loads in the very near future.