• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

.300 Edge

Raven 6

Minuteman
Oct 29, 2006
Blue Ridge
I'm just curious if anyone has herd of anyone necking the .338 Edge case back down to .30 caliber?

Mark

Re: .300 Edge

Wouldn't that just be a 300 Remington Ultra Mag?

My understanding is that the Edge is a 300 Rum necked up to .338 to gain the tenth of an inch the .338 RUM is shortened by.

No it wouldn't be just the .300 RUM. When you fire form the .300 RUM case to form the .338 Edge it not only sizes the neck for the larger bullet it changes the shoulder angle and widen's the upper part of the body just below the shoulder, therby increasing case capacity. If you ever set a .300 RUM round and a .338 Edge case next to each other the differance is noticably differant. I'm just wondering is anyone has thought of doing this, or have actually went as far as to try it?

The shoulder angle is the same on the EDGE. No real fireforming, just neck up the brass to .338. There is also no change in the body taper as posted eailer. If the body taper did change you wouldnt be able to use 338RUM dies like a lot of people are doing. I have been shooting the EDGE for a while now and its a great round.

You would have re invented the .300 RUM lol. Any change you see in the shoulder is simply because it is smaller due to the larger neck...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No it wouldn't be just the .300 RUM. When you fire form the .300 RUM case to form the .338 Edge it not only sizes the neck for the larger bullet it changes the shoulder angle and widen's the upper part of the body just below the shoulder, therby increasing case capacity. If you ever set a .300 RUM round and a .338 Edge case next to each other the differance is noticably differant. I'm just wondering is anyone has thought of doing this, or have actually went as far as to try it? </div></div>

Not to be real, but REALLY?

Do the math, call Shawn or ask someone who has one.

I do, and the go-nogo gauges are 300 RUM. End of story. The case prep is simple, 300 RUM brass goes into the 338 RUM die on the first go round.

Drop the powder and go shoot, no blow out, no fireforming, nothing.

Got any questions, ask Shawn, he invented the damn thing, hell he might <span style="font-style: italic">actually</span> know.

Want me to show you H20 cap on the cases I guess I could, but what a waste of precious time that would be....

sean

The 300RUM blown out has already been done. It is called a 300 Tomahawk. There is also a 338 version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hofhine1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No it wouldn't be just the .300 RUM. When you fire form the .300 RUM case to form the .338 Edge it not only sizes the neck for the larger bullet it changes the shoulder angle and widen's the upper part of the body just below the shoulder, therby increasing case capacity. If you ever set a .300 RUM round and a .338 Edge case next to each other the differance is noticably differant. I'm just wondering is anyone has thought of doing this, or have actually went as far as to try it? </div></div>

Not to be real, but REALLY?

Do the math, call Shawn or ask someone who has one.

I do, and the go-nogo gauges are 300 RUM. End of story. The case prep is simple, 300 RUM brass goes into the 338 RUM die on the first go round.

Drop the powder and go shoot, no blow out, no fireforming, nothing.

Got any questions, ask Shawn, he invented the damn thing, hell he might <span style="font-style: italic">actually</span> know.

Want me to show you H20 cap on the cases I guess I could, but what a waste of precious time that would be....

sean
</div></div>

If it is a waste of you precious TIME why did you spend some of it to reply like your shit is just a little less stinky than mine? And I do have an Edge not that that has anything to do with my question. Why would I need to ask Shawn anything about the Edge when you are apparantly the internet expert. I have my reasons for asking the question, and if you don't have anything to add constructive move along troll.

It would appear you don't have a 338 Edge if the shoulder angle and case taper is anything other than a 300 RUM necked to 338.

I built it, I'm pretty sure I know what it is. It's my dumb ass mistake to think I can ask a simple question and come up with a simple answer. The reason for the question is that when you put both cases side by side it looks like a diffrent angle on the shoulder, and acording to my calipers there is a slight differance in the diameter just below the shoulder, maybe it's an optical illusion. I will admit this is a new caliber for me, and I was thinking out loud.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Velocity</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 300RUM blown out has already been done. It is called a 300 Tomahawk. There is also a 338 version. </div></div>

Before this becomes a shit slinging contest, let's stop it here. I probably didn't ask the question to where people would understand what I was asking. But the above quote probably answers what I was wanting to know better than anything to this point.

Chronographed a Tomohawk at 3300fps with 220smk. Drop charts matched velocity numbers. Made junk real quick out of brass at those numbers. Maybe 2x reloaded and primers would fall out.

I'm looking for a .30 cal round that will shoot a 240 gr SMK at around 2900 to 3000fps. I need to look more into the Tomahawk, you have a place that I can get more info on it?

Load is worked up from 300RUM. I think Retumbo was powder used. Long barrel, about 32-34". Not friendly on barrels mainly for hunting. I think Kiff did the reamer.

If you have a receiver that will accommodate the 338 Lapua bolt face that would be, IMO, the better choice. There are quite a few different versions of the 30-338Lapua and 30-338Lapua improved available. Currently have a 30-338Lap. Imp. in the building stages. Looking for 3400-3500fps out of the 210's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: triple 6</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm looking for a .30 cal round that will shoot a 240 gr SMK at around 2900 to 3000fps. I need to look more into the Tomahawk, you have a place that I can get more info on it? </div></div>

Google 300 Hulk... Contact Tom Sarver. Problem solved.

John