• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 NM Neck Tension Bushing

Ornery

Minuteman
Aug 13, 2010
S. California
For Petersens or Lapua brass, what size die bushing are you using? I will probably go with the Forster S neck sizing die. My initial measurements on the new brass have it around .338 OD.

Firstly, where did you obtain Lapua brass in 300WM?
I have some (300) from the 1980’s, yet to lose a single case to splits or loose pockets in the 50 I use in F-Class Open.

My necks are skim cut to .0145” and I used a .336” -.335” bushing when I was using bushing dies.

Cheers.
:)

Edit to add.
Just checked my notes on the Lapua brass, it measured .0145” when cut, but was around .016” prior to trimming. Bushing sizes are .332”-.333”, not as stated above.

Last edited:
Firstly, where did you obtain Lapua brass in 300WM?
I have some (300) from the 1980’s, yet to lose a single case to splits or loose pockets in the 50 I use in F-Class Open.

My necks are skim cut to .0145” and I used a .336” -.335” bushing when I was using bushing dies.

Cheers.
:)

Edit to add.
Just checked my notes on the Lapua brass, it measured .0145” when cut, but was around .016” prior to trimming. Bushing sizes are .332”-.333”, not as stated above.
He said NM, not WM

Reactions: McCrazy
For Petersens or Lapua brass, what size die bushing are you using? I will probably go with the Forster S neck sizing die. My initial measurements on the new brass have it around .338 OD.
If you have the brass in hand, do you have any bullets you can stuff in there and see what the tension actually is? Otherwise, factory brass usually comes ready to load, which should give you at least 1-2 thou. A 337 or 338 bushing would work

If you have the brass in hand, do you have any bullets you can stuff in there and see what the tension actually is? Otherwise, factory brass usually comes ready to load, which should give you at least 1-2 thou. A 337 or 338 bushing would work

Sounds like a plan. I have bullets and brass, but I did not have any dies yet. Will receive 300 NM dies this week.

Thanks.

Remember something though. I hear the Petersen brass is pretty thick. If you use another brand, the bushing will likely have to be smaller

I loaded several rounds up (Berger 230 Gr Hybrids), Neck OD: .341". So the bushing could be .338 or .339.

Ornery,

What load did you end up using, not only size bushing but powder, bullet? I JUST bought a 300NM and what to order some reloading components to work up a load.

I think I will be using Norma brass...

Thanks,
Steve