• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma is it really worth it?

JohnDeereGuy1996

Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 13, 2017
Picking up an axsr in the next day or two. I’m stuck on two calibers 300 prc or 300 Norma.

I’ll be shooting this out to 2200 yards or so but probably more like a mile to 2k most times.

I do reload although I’m not set up at the moment due to a recent move. I keep seeing data that shows them within 75 fps of each other. Then I’ll read where someone is getting 250 fps more with the Norma. Barrel life isn’t a major concern but if the 300 Norma is only marginally better is there any reason to use it? Components seem to be nearly double the price of the prc and brass harder to find.

To me this is the way I see it
300 prc
Good factory ammo
Cheaper
Easier to find brass

Norma
Better performance?
Having proper bolt face to move up to 33xc if I wanted

I don’t mind spending more if it really is worth it performance wise. Just want to get it right the first time. I appreciate the help.

I just had this conversation today re. my 300PRC and smaller cartridge to mess with. I stretched my $$ to do the PRC; but that was then, and this is now. To get the results you want, it will be aftermarket brass. At this point 300Norma is the top of the regular guy 30 cal boomers. You need 245-250 gr at max speed. Unless you spend $$ on hobbies and then abandon them like a small canine. If you pick a middle of the road tool and mess around for a bit before getting distracted, then you are looking for direction I cannot provide. Only chronic obsessives should follow my lead. In the states, you should really go 375 or 416, but most are too scared of commitment.

I’d get the 300PRC. Reason being is available factory ammo now with you not loading so you can shoot your rifle. When you do load you can get those 225 ELDs around 2900fps or higher if you get a longer barrel which is more than enough to do what you want.

I don't know what's up with the stated 300nm velocities lately. I had Hodgdon reloading say that with a 230gr berger, max load is like 77gr H1000 and about 2700fps. I and many others have been shooting mid 80 grs and 2950+ for years without issue. Berger factory 230 is listed at 2934fps. One of the main reasons I got one was so I didn't have to push it hard or have a really long barrel to get 2900+

I'll add that 300prc and 300nm tend to use the same components except for brass obviously. Lapua brass runs about $165/100 for prc and $220/100 for 300nm so there's definitely a price difference there.

Last edited:
I don't know what's up with the stated 300nm velocities lately. I had Hodgdon reloading say that with a 230gr berger, max load is like 77gr H1000 and about 2700fps. I and many others have been shooting mid 80 grs and 2950+ for years without issue. Berger factory 230 is listed at 2934fps. One of the main reasons I got one was so I didn't have to push it hard or have a really long barrel to get 2900+

I'll add that 300prc and 300nm tend to use the same components except for brass obviously. Lapua brass runs about $165/100 for prc and $220/100 for 300nm so there's definitely a price difference there.
I noticed that as well. I’m running the 230’s at 3050fps without issue and we’ll below my max

Reactions: Balor and 912173
If I were to pick between the 2, honestly, I'd go .300 PRC for the same reasons @Rob01 said. .300 Norma is a bit dated, and .300 PRC is the new hotness. Plus, high-quality cheap brass for when you reload. And you can find really decent affordable factory Hornady ammo for it. And I think Nosler is making ammo for it now, too, but I could be wrong on that.

Vihtavuori’s .300NM data is funky too.
Yeah, if I recall Viht use a relatively short OAL. I called Capstone when I got my norma and used their load data. I'm running 90.4gr N570 behind a 220LRHT and I'm a ways off the max they gave me. Gives me 3180 out of a 29.5" barrel. thing is a laser beam.

Reactions: Balor and 912173
I'm in the Norma camp but also have a few PRC barrels and hunting rifles. Norma for 2000 is an easy button. Found it more consistent shooting the 230s from the 1760 to 2600 yard targets. PRC still did fine at the 1760-2k targets but the Norma just did it better.

@MACHTECH @tnester1 @lethalsquirts @SkyScrapin @Glassaholic

At Rebel Ridge here. All these rifles are in 300 Norma Mag.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230616_164004_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20230616_164004_Gmail.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 180
Last edited:
Do you plan to shoot the lapua bolt face of any other cartridges? Or conversely the 300wm bolt face in any other cartridges?

The two are close enough to be a wash. The components are the same, except brass cost which should be negligible.

I went 300norma since I also had a 33lapua and didn't need to buy a 300wm bolt.

Reactions: MOUNTIC
Neither - old school 300 RUM with some throat. In that weight class, I run Berger 220 lrht's at 3175. At mag length, she still does 3050. Or load down and run 2950 with no stress to components.

Do you plan to shoot the lapua bolt face of any other cartridges? Or conversely the 300wm bolt face in any other cartridges?

The two are close enough to be a wash. The components are the same, except brass cost which should be negligible.

I went 300norma since I also had a 33lapua and didn't need to buy a 300wm bolt.
That’s one reason I’ve been kind of leaning towards the Norma. I can’t think of any other caliber I’d shoot with the 300 win bolt face. With that said I have looked at shooting a 33xc and wouldn’t have to change anything but the barrel if I went with the Norma .

Reactions: 912173 and The D
Neither - old school 300 RUM with some throat. In that weight class, I run Berger 220 lrht's at 3175. At mag length, she still does 3050. Or load down and run 2950 with no stress to components.
This is a good idea. Opens up the possibility of 338 edge as well
That’s one reason I’ve been kind of leaning towards the Norma. I can’t think of any other caliber I’d shoot with the 300 win bolt face. With that said I have looked at shooting a 33xc and wouldn’t have to change anything but the barrel if I went with the Norma .
You can’t think of any other .535 bolt face cartridge?

6.5 prc
7 saum, prc, rem mag
300 prc, rem mag, rum
338 rum, edge

But, a .588 bolt face setup would be awesome too

I’m not too well versed in AI but could you get both size bolts and just start filling a shelf full of barrels in whatever you want?

I'd go with a 300 Norma improved, 230s at 3050 all day with a 26" barrel and N570.

Reactions: 912173
Id get it in 300wm and then get a 338 lap setup if you feel you really shoot that far that often. Both have easy to get factory ammo

I'm in the Norma camp but also have a few PRC barrels and hunting rifles. Norma for 2000 is an easy button. Found it more consistent shooting the 230s from the 1760 to 2600 yard targets. PRC still did fine at the 1760-2k targets but the Norma just did it better.

@MACHTECH @tnester1 @lethalsquirts @SkyScrapin @Glassaholic

At Rebel Ridge here. All these rifles are in 300 Norma Mag.
The 300 nm is the easy button. I had an AXMC in 300 nm that was a hammer, and @MOUNTIC hooked me up with a sick AXSR in 300 nm. Both performed excellent. Easy to load for and they just shoot, period. Just my .02 cents.

Just get the one with (lapua) bolt face. You mentioned 33xc but 37xc is pretty sweet too, I can push a 390 A tip to 2900fps with 115 grains of H1000. Granted I'm single feeding it but I'm just a barrel swap away from going back to a 300 norma or 338 lapua.