• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Mag

Ordering a custom barrel for my Barrett MRAD through Southern Precision Rifles. In 300 Norma Mag, what do you all recommend for a barrel length and twist rate? FYI will be a Bartlein ModBB Heavy Varmit Contour.

I was thinking a 30 inch with 1-8 twist, but would love to hear from you all.

I've had 26", 28", 30" & 34" and it feels like 30" is the sweet spot if you want to shoot far. 1:8 twist works for the vast majority of bullets, with the only exception being 1:7 for heavy solids.

Reactions: rlsmith1
I've had 26", 28", 30" & 34" and it feels like 30" is the sweet spot if you want to shoot far. 1:8 twist works for the vast majority of bullets, with the only exception being 1:7 for heavy solids.
Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks.

What kinds of velocities were you finding with a 30" and with what grain bullets?

Has anyone used the new bartlein barrel in 300 norma and seen better barrel life yet?

I'm getting ready to have another barrel spun up, and ready to invest in my own reamer for 300 Norma. Should I make any adjustments to the standard reamer print for the 245 LRHT bergers or the 250 ATIP?

Just got my 300 norma improved back. Was going to start and load some fireforming loads. Has anyone messed with ramshot lrt 225 eldm?

I also have other powders but figured start with the cheap stuff first and cheaper bullets to get me started.

Reactions: Balor
Just got my 300 norma improved back. Was going to start and load some fireforming loads. Has anyone messed with ramshot lrt 225 eldm?

I also have other powders but figured start with the cheap stuff first and cheaper bullets to get me started.
To fire form I just dumped in 25 grains of Greendot in the case and sealed it by sticking the neck into a bar of soap. Worked like a charm and smelled oh so fresh. LOL

To fire form I just dumped in 25 grains of Greendot in the case and sealed it by sticking the neck into a bar of soap. Worked like a charm and smelled oh so fresh. LOL
When I was little my grandpa blew up a rifle firedorming making a mistake so I just shoot full charges to be safe. I know a lot of people have good luck but that was enough for me lol

Yup, I saw an old timer nearly blow his face off trying to fireform .510DTC brass about 20 years ago using "the cream of wheat method". Just use cheap bullets and cheap powder in a mild load.

Thats my plan. 300 norma load data is all over the place. From berger to hornady then vv its crazy differences. Between berger and hornady for 220 and 225 ram lrt H-92 max B-97 max

1699553689390.png

Low 90s should do the trick.

Hi everybody, wanted to drop a quick question. How many firings is everybody getting on their Lupua brass?

I’m running lupua brass, F215GM primers, N570 and 225 eldm’s that run at around 3100 fps or just under. So not pushing too hard, but they’re not baby loads either.

I load a 0.002” headspace, trim to 2.486”, and shoot 0.015” off the lands.

I’ve now thrown away about 12 or so bullets after 11 firings. Does this sound normal?

Lo
Hi everybody, wanted to drop a quick question. How many firings is everybody getting on their Lupua brass?

I’m running lupua brass, F215GM primers, N570 and 225 eldm’s that run at around 3100 fps or just under. So not pushing too hard, but they’re not baby loads either.

I load a 0.002” headspace, trim to 2.486”, and shoot 0.015” off the lands.

I’ve now thrown away about 12 or so bullets after 11 firings. Does this sound normal?
Loose primer pockets?

Then why did you throw them away after 11 firings?
Ah shucks. I should edit the post I made earlier.

I’m experiencing case head cracking (not separated yet, but a clear crack that you can see and feel with your finger nail)

I’m scared to fire that brass again since I don’t want it to actually separate when I extract from the chamber.

It took anout 11 shots before this started happening. This was actually the purpose of the post, and I forgot to include it.. sorry

Reactions: TylerN
I guess you know the next question. What's your shoulder bump look like? Is this standard or improved? If improved, how did you fire form?

I'm also interested to know how many firings you guys are getting from Lapua brass. I'm only 3-4 firings so far on mine (230s at 2940 using h1000) so I figure they should last a good long time.

Hey, I’m new to the 300 Norma, still working on getting a rifle put together, but I’m going to buy powder today. I can get N568, Retumbo, US 869, and StaBALL HD. I plan to stay in the 215 to 220gr class and have some 220 LRHTs already. Which powder would I likely have the best results with? I’m not trying to reinvent the wheel.

RS-80 92.5gr ATIP 250gr gives around 880 m/s but its a bit too hot, so a more realistic 91gr and 855 m/s with 28" barrel.

Does any one have oal of some loaded bullets in berger 220 hornady 225 and hornady 250? What are you guys seeing to the lands?

I’ve got h1000, n570, and n565. Which one would give me the best results with a 215 hybrid?

I've used all three, n570 gave me the best velocity, but it comes at a cost of barrel life. I now use n565 almost exclusively

What was the velocity difference between the two?

I was hoping to have the 215’s going at least 3,000 fps from a 27” barrel, anything after that is gravy to me.

I got about 3150 from N570 and 3020 from N565. Those were both about a half grain below first pressure signs. That's from a 26" barrel at 3k feet of elevation

If you’re more worried about throat erosion, a single base powder like N165 and N170 are good alternatives. I’ve had four .300NM barrels so far and the most recent one is hands down the most accurate magnum-class barrel I’ve ever owned. In order to preserve it as much as possible I switched from N570 to N170. I was shooting 250s out of this 30” barrel at 3025fps, and switching to N170 brought it down to 2900fps, which is still very much acceptable and generates quite a bit less heat.

I was about to start gathering components and have the opportunity at n570 or h1000. It seems like the n570 is the most recommended powder? Which should I pick up?
I’ll be running a 27 inch factory axsr barrel. Should I run around 230 grn bullets or go lighter?

I was about to start gathering components and have the opportunity at n570 or h1000. It seems like the n570 is the most recommended powder? Which should I pick up?
I’ll be running a 27 inch factory axsr barrel. Should I run around 230 grn bullets or go lighter?
What twist is your barrel? What is the intended purpose, hunting or ELR? I would go with N570 if you can find it.

I am also shooting out of my 27” AXSR. I’ve got both 215 and 245 Berger hybrids, n570, n565, and h1000. So this is also relevant to me. I haven’t started cooking up loads yet.

All the info seems to say that n570 has the highest performance at the cost of burning hotter, but it’s not like the 300NM has a super long barrel life anyway.

I did fire some factory FGMM that was loaded with 215 bergers (just to make sure the barrel was all good), and they were great.

Reactions: PowPowHawg
For what it's worth, I got 225 ELDMs and H1000 but have not gone deep on load development yet. I may try and switch powders down the road, but I bought what was available at the time

1/8 twist strictly elr
My last barrel was a 1/9 twist and where I live it wasn't enough to stabilize even a 230 gr during the winter months. Don't overlook H50bmg it gives the best case fill and was the easiest to tune. Also Staball HD showed promise but I only had a pound to play with. It has the same burn rate as Retumbo. H1000 seems a little fast for the 245 or 250 gr. but works well with the 215 gr. I never could get h869 to group worth a damn.

My last barrel was a 1/9 twist and where I live it wasn't enough to stabilize even a 230 gr during the winter months. Don't overlook H50bmg it gives the best case fill and was the easiest to tune. Also Staball HD showed promise but I only had a pound to play with. It has the same burn rate as Retumbo. H1000 seems a little fast for the 245 or 250 gr. but works well with the 215 gr. I never could get h869 to group worth a damn.
I ended up with 16 pounds of Retumbo hopefully I didn’t mess up.

I thought 1/9 was the right twist for 230's. Maybe I heard wrong. What elevation you at.

I live at about 400 feet above sea level and a 1-9 twist stabilizes the 230 berger