• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Magnum - 230 grain Berger Loading

Relja

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2021
Canada
Hello All,

I am working on some loading for my 300 Norma Magnum (30 inch barrel on Desert tech SRSA2) and was wondering what the velocity range would be recommended for King of 2 mile and to possibly reach out to 3000yards.

So far with my 230 grain Bergers I was able to get out to 2344m at 3000fps with N568, but I was starting to get issues with the powder and have a bit of N565 left.

I had some recommendations to drop to 2900fps give or take, but thought I'd ask the experts.

Reloading will be:
Lapua 300 Norma Mag brass
FGMM Large Magnum Rifle Primers
Berger 230 grain Hybrid Target
VV N565 powder

Currently using a Nightforce ATACR 7-35 F1 with 40 MOA Spuhr mount (stole a Charlie Tarac off a buddy).

I have had good luck with N217 running 86.9 grains in Lapua brass in a high end 26" Barrett barrel (I think cryogenically treated, so I may be getting extra velocity due to reduced friction), with 230 gr. A-tips, I am getting 3065 fps using trued velocity method up to 1,208 meters (3075 fps on my lab radar). Can't comment on shooting up to 2 miles, as the furthest I have ever shot at consistently is a mile but if you can see your bullet wake and target/bullet splash/impact in your scope, I don't see a valid reason to slow down your velocity to 2900 fps unless you are having pressure issues. If you can't see your bullet impact on your own, shooting with the but-stock as close to your centerline as possible will help a lot, along with ensuring your body positioning is completely straight behind the rifle (not angled as this will push the barrel to the left if you are a right-handed shooter, head tilt will also push the butt end of the rifle during recoil and tends to do the same thing, hence the centerline position recommendation to mitigate this effect), adding weight to the rifle will also help, as will ensuring your rifle recoils straight back which may require rear bag system and bipod adjustments and/or replacement. Watch Mark and Sam after work on YouTube and see their set-up with their 300 Norma, watching their channel will give you some really good pointers and ideas. Also: curious as to what kind of issues you are running into with VV N568, is it pressure issues? Have you tried VV N570?

Last edited:
In my case I think it may have turned into a headspace issue as I purchased an aftermarket custom barrel for the DTA SRSA2 and I was starting to get a bulge on the brass. After reviewing my once fired brass it had been lengthened by approximately 13thou. I am getting the barrel manufacturer to review the rifle and barrel.

@Relja how did things go with the barrel? Did you end up making a decision on the powder? I am starting to get some components together for 300NM and I’ve used N568 for my 300PRC so I am chasing after some indicators I can just stick with it for ELR for both cartridges. (vs N565 or N570). Probably same 230 OTM for both at least initially but I’d like to get the 215 Berger and probably some Warner solids.

@Relja how did things go with the barrel? Did you end up making a decision on the powder? I am starting to get some components together for 300NM and I’ve used N568 for my 300PRC so I am chasing after some indicators I can just stick with it for ELR for both cartridges. (vs N565 or N570). Probably same 230 OTM for both at least initially but I’d like to get the 215 Berger and probably some Warner solids.
The loads I made damaged the barrel extension so it needed to be replaced. I ended up going back to N568 as the es and sd were really good and with the 230s I was able to hit out to 2.3km.

Reactions: nazarsh
So your N568 load @ 3000 from a 30” barrel was too hot and it damaged the barrel extension? A 300WM can do 3000 out of a 30”

Cool, thank you @Relja that helps. I keep landing on N568 as my 300PRC loved it and if I can run a single powder vs multiple I will. It seems versatile enough for various bullet weights too.
I have a Barrett so similar extension system, I will post if I bump into anything crazy with load development.

Nazarsh: I have tested N568 in a new 300 CA carbon 26" Barrel with 225 ELD-Ms, kissing the lands (about 0.007" off Jam) and got incredible accuracy on the top end.

I don't have any chronograph data yet (MagentoSpeed V3) and probably won't be able to test velocity data till December as I am focused on reloading/shooting both 308 and 300 WM to prepare my son for his first hunt where most opportunities presents themselves between 300-600 meters, we/he needs to practice a lot from different improvised shooting positions.

I think N568 is likely to work well for you but it might not get you the same top end velocities as N570 or Norma N-217. With the later, in a different rifle chambered in 300 Norma as well, I am getting 3065 fps with 230 gr. A-tips, using just below Norma's max published load, herein attached.

Note: the VihtaVuori loading tables may be conservative, based on published burn rate and in comparison with N217 Norma load data which has a max load of 87.0 gr. for the 230 Gr. Bergers VS 83.5 for N568 on the VV load data for 230 gr. A-tips (load data from Norma and VihtaVuori are attached).

Safety notes: Norma N-217's burn rate shows to be a bit faster then N568 but on my CA 300 Norma's barrel, I am seeing the pressure signs with N568 come in sooner than I would expect based on my experience with N217 which had no pressure signs across all temperature previously tested. This could be due to the 2 powder's characteristics where the Norma N217 powder may have lower primary pressures with higher secondary pressures compared to that of N568, or, it could be due to the 2 barrel's chamber's individual differences... Both variables, chamber differences and primary/Secondary pressures of N217 & N568 could contribute to N568 showing pressure signs sooner despite being a slower powder then N217.
I dare not say what the causal factors are, but I just wanted to warn you and other reloading their 300 Norma with N568 not to make the assumption that because the max load for N217 is 87.0 gr., no-one should not be thinking that you may be able to run near 87.0 gr. of N568 despite the fact that on paper it is slower powder.

Maybe somebody with Quick-load could compare Norma N217 max load of 87.0 grain chambered in 300 Norma with a 230 gr. berger VS 83.5 gr. and 87.0 gr. N568. The later charge would be way over pressure in my CA Carbon barrel but might be OK in my other barrel which has a longer throat and was built to handle higher pressures: 65,000 PSI and tested 50% above that for safety by the ODM; I never reached pressure signs in that barrel near max charge with N217 even in 109 °F heat.

I also tested N568 with 210 Gr. AccuBonds: one hole accuracy as well but it is hitting pressure a bit earlier than I would have expected in my particular chamber (Velocity testing is set for Dec.).

The advantage of N568 is claimed to be its temperature stability and non-hydroscopic characteristics. The later is very important, as humidity content in the powder can create significant Velocity changes, hence N568 is probably ideal for hunting and some precision applications and while N565 has very similar characteristics, you should be able to get better case fill with N568 over N565 due to its slower burn rate (Please refer to VV load data herein attached).

From the Vihtavuori loading manual: "N568’s slow burning characteristics and short-cut grains provides extremely consistent metering for long range competitive shooters, accuracy enthusiasts, and hunters alike. N568 excels with heavy-for-caliber projectiles and provides exceptional temperature stability and is insensitive to humidity changes".

In my experience, with N568 shooting 225 ELD-Ms and 210 LR Accubonds, using new 300 Norma chambering Lapua brass, the first sign of pressures were with the primers (Fed. Mag. Primers, #GM215M).

In summary, I think it will be worth your time to work up a load with N568, please be safe and work up! Best - Chris

Attachments

• 300 Norma Reloading Data From Norma.pdf
    66 KB · Views: 65
  • VV .300 Norma Magnum Reloading Data - 2023.pdf
    370.8 KB · Views: 171
  • 2023-burn-rate-chart-2.pdf
    274.7 KB · Views: 47
Nazarsh: I have tested N568 in a new 300 CA carbon 26" Barrel with 225 ELD-Ms, kissing the lands (about 0.007" off Jam) and got incredible accuracy on the top end.

I don't have any chronograph data yet (MagentoSpeed V3) and probably won't be able to test velocity data till December as I am focused on reloading/shooting both 308 and 300 WM to prepare my son for his first hunt where most opportunities presents themselves between 300-600 meters, we/he needs to practice a lot from different improvised shooting positions.

I think N568 is likely to work well for you but it might not get you the same top end velocities as N570 or Norma N-217. With the later, in a different rifle chambered in 300 Norma as well, I am getting 3065 fps with 230 gr. A-tips, using just below Norma's max published load, herein attached.

Note: the VihtaVuori loading tables may be conservative, based on published burn rate and in comparison with N217 Norma load data which has a max load of 87.0 gr. for the 230 Gr. Bergers VS 83.5 for N568 on the VV load data for 230 gr. A-tips (load data from Norma and VihtaVuori are attached).

Safety notes: Norma N-217's burn rate shows to be a bit faster then N568 but on my CA 300 Norma's barrel, I am seeing the pressure signs with N568 come in sooner than I would expect based on my experience with N217 which had no pressure signs across all temperature previously tested. This could be due to the 2 powder's characteristics where the Norma N217 powder may have lower primary pressures with higher secondary pressures compared to that of N568, or, it could be due to the 2 barrel's chamber's individual differences... Both variables, chamber differences and primary/Secondary pressures of N217 & N568 could contribute to N568 showing pressure signs sooner despite being a slower powder then N217.
I dare not say what the causal factors are, but I just wanted to warn you and other reloading their 300 Norma with N568 not to make the assumption that because the max load for N217 is 87.0 gr., no-one should not be thinking that you may be able to run near 87.0 gr. of N568 despite the fact that on paper it is slower powder.

Maybe somebody with Quick-load could compare Norma N217 max load of 87.0 grain chambered in 300 Norma with a 230 gr. berger VS 83.5 gr. and 87.0 gr. N568. The later charge would be way over pressure in my CA Carbon barrel but might be OK in my other barrel which has a longer throat and was built to handle higher pressures: 65,000 PSI and tested 50% above that for safety by the ODM; I never reached pressure signs in that barrel near max charge with N217 even in 109 °F heat.

I also tested N568 with 210 Gr. AccuBonds: one hole accuracy as well but it is hitting pressure a bit earlier than I would have expected in my particular chamber (Velocity testing is set for Dec.).

The advantage of N568 is claimed to be its temperature stability and non-hydroscopic characteristics. The later is very important, as humidity content in the powder can create significant Velocity changes, hence N568 is probably ideal for hunting and some precision applications and while N565 has very similar characteristics, you should be able to get better case fill with N568 over N565 due to its slower burn rate (Please refer to VV load data herein attached).

From the Vihtavuori loading manual: "N568’s slow burning characteristics and short-cut grains provides extremely consistent metering for long range competitive shooters, accuracy enthusiasts, and hunters alike. N568 excels with heavy-for-caliber projectiles and provides exceptional temperature stability and is insensitive to humidity changes".

In my experience, with N568 shooting 225 ELD-Ms and 210 LR Accubonds, using new 300 Norma chambering Lapua brass, the first sign of pressures were with the primers (Fed. Mag. Primers, #GM215M).

In summary, I think it will be worth your time to work up a load with N568, please be safe and work up! Best - Chris
Thanks so much Chris! I really appreciate the detailed write up and the attachments to the post. What I am sensing now is I really should give the full lineup of the slower ones a try starting with N570. I was swayed by both Litz shooting N565 and N560 showing more velocity for much lighter Warner solids (QuickLoad on their site) so I was trying to find a middle ground in N568. Having used that for 300PRC I am also realizing my loads rarely chase velocity and I stay in the 80ish percentile of the published load data. With 300NM it feels like I do need to step up my velocity game because otherwise I might as well just keep shooting 300PRC. I’ve also been a Lapua/Berger/VV fan so I haven’t ventured out much past those, so the Norma powders do give me a good lead to try later as well. As my friend puts it “Naz, by the time you are done your load development, you will burn through your first barrel”.

Reactions: Chris M.