• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma Magnum Build Options

Towhead

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2023
San Antonio, Texas
I've been thinking of building a 300 Norma Mag rifle for long range precision shooting. Here are some of the components I've found that I'm considering. Please chime in if anyone knows of better or less expensive options or if I've missed something and am wrong about interoperability.

Chassis Options:
1. AX-AICS or AT-AICS (are these only compatible with AICS actions?)
2. KRG Whiskey-3 (TAC338 or Rem 700 LA)
3. MDT ESS (Rem 700 LA 3.85 CIP)
4. MPA BA Hybrid/Comp (Rem 700 LA)

Action Options:
1. Surgeon 1581 XL
2. Stiller TAC338
3. Curtis Custom Helix, Lapua Bolt (Rem 700 LA)
4. Terminus Zeus, LA Lapua Bolt (Rem 700 LA)

Barrel Options:
1. Bartlein Custom
2. Preferred Barrel Blanks Custom
3. Proof Research Custom
4. Krieger Custom

I think my preferred build would be:
Chassis: 4
Action: 3
Barrel: 1

Any thoughts?

I did a build with an mdt ess, stiller tac338 and a brux barrel. It's amazing. That said, I don't know if mdt still does the tac338 chassis.

Reactions: Towhead
I built my 300 Norma on a Terminus Zeus with a carbon six barrel. It is a great combination. I have no experience with chassis so I can’t give any input there. I don’t think you can go wrong with a Bartlein. My next action will be a Zeus QC and I also have a Kratos. Based on my experience and speaking with Joel the 1.0625x16 receiver threads are fine for a Norma, but others think 1.125 threads are needed. Something else to think about.

I did same as @mullmann with a Magnum Terminus Zeus (non-QC) action with 60 degree throw and an MTU Rock Creek barrel (1:7.7 for Cutting Edge solids and Warner Tool flatlines) from PVA on a legacy AI LA chassis. Joel Russo never said anything to me about tenon diameter issues with the 338NM. Set-up works great and feeds factory Norma 338NM Match Kings with 300gr Sierra SMKs fine from 338 Lapua CIP mags.

That said, I avoided Stiller because of this post:

'Broke my TAC 338' https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/broke-my-tac-338.7035528/

I looked long and hard at the Stiller Tac 338. Stiller got bought out by Kaspar/Horizon Firearms in December 2021. According to Reggie Mitchell of Horizon Firearms (excellent responsiveness and on-point for all questions you may ask), they are so backlogged with retooling and focusing on their line of rifles that any Tac 338 action was/is at least 6-8 months out. No harm, no foul to them, but I think Stiller's allure comes from their former glory as a military contract provider.

With so many other integral rail and recoil lug action options out there by reputable manufacturers, Stiller's current offerings do not seem to match the competition either in features, price, or availability.

Surgeon's 1581XL from SAC is a great action (stupid smooth and easy to operate) with its 90 degree bolt throw so long as you have the stock/chassis for it, which necessarily bumps cost. SAC's responsivess and support is excellent.

Terminus had a Zeus LM action out in less than a month and it works with any Remington LA pattern stock/chassis. Joel Russo, Terminus' owner and chief design engineer, was Curtis' chief engineer for the Valor before he left to break out on his own with his improved Terminus Zeus line. So why go backwards in evolution if you can have the latest in an action that will fit any Remington LA patterned stock/chassis? Terminus actions are slick and the roller bearing 60 degree bolt throw makes it smooth/easy to operate. Joel even walked my smith through a few questions called on the fly. Where/Who else does that??? The man is busy making a living with legendary attention to his customers. Easy choice, I say.

Last edited:
I did same as @mullmann with a Magnum Terminus Zeus (non-QC) action with 60 degree throw and an MTU Rock Creek barrel (1:7.7 for Cutting Edge solids and Warner Tool flatlines) from PVA on a legacy AI LA chassis. Joel Russo never said anything to me about tenon diameter issues with the 338NM. Set-up works great and feeds factory Norma 338NM Match Kings with 300gr Sierra SMKs fine from 338 Lapua CIP mags.

That said, I avoided Stiller because of this post:

'Broke my TAC 338' https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/broke-my-tac-338.7035528/

I looked long and hard at the Stiller Tac 338. Stiller got bought out by Kaspar/Horizon Firearms in December 2021. According to Reggie Mitchell of Horizon Firearms (excellent responsiveness and on-point for all questions you may ask), they are so backlogged with retooling and focusing on their line of rifles that any Tac 338 action was/is at least 6-8 months out. No harm, no foul to them, but I think Stiller's allure comes from their former glory as a military contract provider.

With so many other integral rail and recoil lug action options out there by reputable manufacturers, Stiller's current offerings do not seem to match the competition either in features, price, or availability.

Surgeon's 1581XL from SAC is a great action (stupid smooth and easy to operate) with its 90 degree bolt throw so long as you have the stock/chassis for it, which necessarily bumps cost. SAC's responsivess and support is excellent.

Terminus had a Zeus LM action out in less than a month and it works with any Remington LA pattern stock/chassis. Joel Russo, Terminus' owner and chief design engineer, was Curtis' chief engineer for the Valor before he left to break out on his own with his improved Terminus Zeus line. So why go backwards in evolution if you can have the latest in an action that will fit any Remington LA patterned stock/chassis? Terminus actions are slick and the roller bearing 60 degree bolt throw makes it smooth/easy to operate. Joel even walked my smith through a few questions called on the fly. Where/Who else does that??? The man is busy making a living with legendary attention to his customers. Easy choice, I say.

Thanks for the great info! It seems the Surgeon option is limited by what chassis you can fit it in. But maybe if I called Surgeon they could point me in the right direction for compatible stocks/chassis. The Terminus actions are a bit more expensive, but what's a few hundred more bucks on a 4-5k rifle right?

Reactions: CaseFinder
I had Altus spin up a 300 norma last year with a 787R and Bartlein cf barrel, and then put that in a Manners LRH stock. It's the only rifle I've never considered selling after hunting season.
What is a ball park price that Altus would charge for a similar custom 300 Norma? How is the recoil on a hunting stock for this cartridge?

I did a build with an mdt ess, stiller tac338 and a brux barrel. It's amazing. That said, I don't know if mdt still does the tac338 chassis.

I love the look of that MDT ESS chassis. As long as they have a Remington 700 LA option, I think there are actions that can accommodate.

I love the look of that MDT ESS chassis. As long as they have a Remington 700 LA option, I think there are actions that can accommodate.
It's a great platform without a doubt. I had committed to the tac338 already, so my options for chassis were limited. I don't regret it for a second.

I have a 300NM built on a Stiller Tac 338 with a 29.5" Krieger MTU/Heavy Varmint barrel spun up by Insite Arms. It's in an MDT ESS with the full railed forend and the specific "high" scope base that MDT make for the Tac 338 (so the whole rail lines up). Absolutely love the rifle, possibly my favourite rifle. I don't know if MDT still offer the ESS for the Tac 338 but I believe if you were to ask them, they still have a few ;)

Photo 2020-12-24, 11 47 33 AM (1).jpg

Photo 2020-12-13, 2 38 59 PM.jpg

What is a ball park price that Altus would charge for a similar custom 300 Norma? How is the recoil on a hunting stock for this cartridge?
I think you would be right at 3k for a complete barreled action using the parts I did.

Attachments

• IMG_1302.jpeg
    IMG_1302.jpeg
    957.1 KB · Views: 162
I've been thinking of building a 300 Norma Mag rifle for long range precision shooting. Here are some of the components I've found that I'm considering. Please chime in if anyone knows of better or less expensive options or if I've missed something and am wrong about interoperability.

Chassis Options:
1. AX-AICS or AT-AICS (are these only compatible with AICS actions?)
2. KRG Whiskey-3 (TAC338 or Rem 700 LA)
3. MDT ESS (Rem 700 LA 3.85 CIP)
4. MPA BA Hybrid/Comp (Rem 700 LA)
5. Manners LRH
Action Options:
1. Surgeon 1581 XL
2. Stiller TAC338
3. Curtis Custom Helix, Lapua Bolt (Rem 700 LA)
4. Terminus Zeus, LA Lapua Bolt (Rem 700 LA)
5. Lone Peak Fuzion, Rem LA .338
6. GAP Templar LA
Barrel Options:
1. Bartlein Custom
2. Preferred Barrel Blanks Custom
3. Proof Research Custom
4. Krieger Custom
5. Rock Creek Barrels

Custom Rifle Shops:
1. Altus Shooting Solutions
2. Insite Arms
3. West Texas Ordinance
4. Alamo Precision Rifles
5. GA Precision
6. Surgeon Rifles

dgheriani, that is perfection. What a beauty!

Thanks! I really enjoy shooting it, haven't toally stretched it's legs yet but have shot it to 1840ish and routinely shoot to 1600. It's a consistent sub 1/2moa gun, really just a pleasure to shoot and quite soft shooting being 20ish lbs and with the 5-port Heathen brake.

There were a few particular design considerations when I set it up. I wanted to easily be able to run a clip-on so having a full length top pic rail was on the list. With most of MDT's chassis, that means using their proprietary "high" scope base to line up with the rail on the handguard (or NV bridge on an ACC) of the ESS. They just so happened to make that scope base for the Stiller Tac 338 and inlet ESS for it plus I could get the action from Stiller at industry pricing. Made the choice easy. If I didn't care about having a full length top pic rail, I most likely would've used an Impact, not that I've had any issues with my Stiller. Figured it might help if I shared my thought process from when I had that rifle built.

Oh and get yourself some Berger 220 LRHTs and some Viht N570 then get the load data from Capstone as Viht's load data is out to lunch. It's a hell of a combo.

As to the Surgeon, they are nice actions but it is hard to find chassis inlet for them. A buddy of mine has one in a Manners stock. I'm not sure who actually makes chassis for them, I know MDT doesn't as I was trying to help another buddy of mine find a chassis for his Surgeon a few months ago.

1-I love the AICS and want one in sage green so bad

ARC CDG -or- Mausingfield long action with .588, .535, & .473 bolt heads

Realistically any of the premium barrel suppliers will be fine. Another option is a prefit from PVA(Rock Creek or Osprey)

I've just been patiently waiting for my ARC CDG action to show up. Bought specifically to do a switch barrel 300 Norma Imp and 7 PRC.

Will likely start with a Manners T5A but could potentially be picking up a Cadex for it late.
Will be having TS Customs spin a barrel for 250 Atips...most likely a benchmark

Already have a Diamond sitting here for it

Reactions: The D and Towhead
They just so happened to make that scope base for the Stiller Tac 338 and inlet ESS for it plus I could get the action from Stiller at industry pricing. Made the choice easy. If I didn't care about having a full length top pic rail, I most likely would've used an Impact, not that I've had any issues with my Stiller.
Assuming a one off deal or you know a place with new old stock?

Your list is getting confusing, your chassis shows your might be trying to keep weight down with the lrh, ess and hybrid on the list. Where the ai and krg will be heavier.

If your plan isn’t to drag around hunting I suggest just keeping the weight for reduced recoil and support.

If you like 60 degree’s I have to recommend terminus. The Zeus actions are amazing. For 90 degree I really like the impact and lone peak actions, both of these are absolutely top notch!

As for the chassis/stocks. For weight savings I’d say the manners lrh. Awesome stock. If you like stocks and aren’t concerned about the weight then look at the prs1t or prs tcs. If chassis the route you’ll go, then i definitely prefer the whiskey 3 or that list!

As for barrel I’d be going bartlein or krieger.

300 Norma on a SRS-A1 southpaw edition. 30" bartlein 1:8
Mag feeds 250 grain atips at the lans.

Attachments

• 2023-07-10 20.55.53.jpg
    2023-07-10 20.55.53.jpg
    516.3 KB · Views: 91
Reactions: CaseFinder