• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing 300 Norma Magnum gunsmiths

propulsionclimbing

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2006
Flagstaff. AZ
Just wondering if anyone knows who has a reamer for the 300 Norma Mag. and has some experience building a few of these. I am thinking about getting one of these built.

Thanks!

Re: 300 Norma Magnum gunsmiths

No. Just wondering who has a reamer for one and could build one for me. I know you have built a lot of 338 Norma mags. Do you have a reamer for a 300 Norma mag?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No. Just wondering who has a reamer for one and could build one for me. I know you have built a lot of 338 Norma mags. Do you have a reamer for a 300 Norma mag? </div></div>

PM sent

might call surgeon, if i remember correctly Preston was playing with one recently.

Do you mean 308 Norma Magnum? I have never heard of a 300 Norma Magnum. I have a 308 Norma Magnum. It was made in 1962 by Lou Williamson. I don't know if he still has the reamer but he has had some experience. He is still making guns last time I talked to him. It has been a few years but you might could check with him. His shop is in Hurst, TX. Good luck, I use mine for hunting all the time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout67</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you mean 308 Norma Magnum? </div></div>

Nope. Its basically the 338 norma necked down.

Keep us posted on your build.

I think Dave Tooley may have built a few...

It is an awesome round.

Just received my 300 Norma build yesterday from Greg Tannel, He has a reamer

I have know idea, It suppose to push a 210 Berger 3200fps out of a 26inch barrel. Mine wears a 27.5 and it will be a few months before my stock arrives, I suspect I will be shooting it around the end of December and I will post the results then if I don't change my mind and sell it. I have a tendency to don that "LOL"

I will need to check into that round. I would imagine that it is a little fast.

The 308 Norma mag and 300 Win mag are pretty much ballistic twins.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: swd</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 308 Norma mag and 300 Win mag are pretty much ballistic twins.</div></div>

we are talking about a 300 Norma mag not a 308 norma mag

Looks like some other people are interested in the 300 Norma mag. Anyone who has any experience with this round, please chime in and let us know the specs on your build, accuracy, loads, velocity, etc. There doesn't seem to be much recent data on this round, but it seems like an interesting round. Thanks for all of the intel thus far. Lets keep it going!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: propulsionclimbing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks like some other people are interested in the 300 Norma mag.</div></div>

I wish they were selling like the 338 LM here recently.

I shoot at TVP and see the 300 HULK shot there regularly. I see the 300 Norma as being an "affordable" round to it. Tom Sarver is "the HULK guy" and it is an impressive round. I believe he has over 2500 rounds thru the gun that set the benchrest world record and it is still a tactical tackdriver.

I'd really like to see the Norma round take off.

Got a reamer and have built a few. One for myself. I know Preston has one also and from what's been said Greg has a reamer also. Great round but nothing is free. 210's the other side 3150 FPs will work on a barrel so barrel life will be much shorter than a Win Mag. I would think barrel life will about 1500 rounds depending on cleaning regime. Accuracy will start to fade after 1100 rounds maybe sooner. It's everything the 338's aren't. Stupid easy accurate,it's a 30. Paired with heavy bullets it will hold it's own anytime, anywhere, any distance.

Marginal change if any. It's still a lot of powder. 80+ grs. The dividing line in my mind is about 75grs. of powder. Less than that and it's easier to manage copper and carbon. More than that and you have to work at keeping clean.

Not to hijack a thread, but can someone explain the difference between the 300 Norma Mag and the 308 Norma Mag? I didn't see anything on the 300 Norma Mag on their website. Is it a wildcat? The case capacities discussed make it sound a lot like the 308 Norma Mag.

Personally, I have the 308 Norma Mag in a hunting rifle. Very accurate round. I also have the reamer and am going to build another one pretty soon...

Thanks!

Brad

In a nut shell
300 Norma= 338 Norma necked down to 30 cal. .588" rim dia.
308 Norma mag= long neck Win Mag .532" rim dia.

Dave,

Would you mind sharing some of your results with the 300 Norma mag such as bullets tried, velocities achieved, accuracy achieved, powder and charges used etc? That would be very helpful in determining whether this round will do what I am looking for.

Thanks!

210's @ 3150+
240's approaching 3000
The usual powder Rl22, Rl25, H1000 etc. 80 grs and up depending on powder.

Sorry to be brief but I'm packing to leave for Ft. Benning in morning. Be back next week.

338MN,300NM can you guess whats next??

think bigger, lol

Robert Gradous of Gradous Rifles is quite familiar with both the 300 & 338 Norma Mags. Check out his website. Also there is some pretty good pics of his shop in the Bolt Rifles section on a .260 he did.

Aloha Jed,

You can also check with Nathan Dagley of Straight Shot Gunsmithing he has built a few I believe as well as some in .284 cal. He call's them the 300 and 284 Jazz.

You can check but I believe these are improved as well I think I read that they are 338 Norma necked down with a 30 degree improved shoulder.

Hope this helps goodluck with your new build!!!

Aloha,

Rose

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CHEYTAC</div><div class="ubbcode-body">338MN,300NM can you guess whats next??</div></div>

How about .375? that might be able to shoot through a tornado...lol

--KJ

+1 for Mr. Gradous having first hand knowledge of both Norma Mags. Give him a call and I'm sure you will not be disappointed.

Depends on how fast and accurate you want to go...we have all the related reamers.
The .300 Hulk will propel most all bullets 200+ FPS faster than the .300 NM. and more accurately in two equally built rifles and the brass is a no brainer. As far as accuracy all you have to do is Google it or know the history and stats of it.
We specialize in these cartridges and have 10 years experience tuning, shooting and competing with them.
The .300 NM is however a GREAT alternative to the Hulk and brass is readily available as well. We design, build..tune and train shooters out to 2000 yards with these type of cartridges on a regular basis.

Hulk performance..
230 Berger Hybrid under 20 MOA to 1000 and 54 MOA to a mile
210 Berger 3375 easy....do the math

7 mm Hulk
180 Berger Hybrid... 16 MOA to 1000 yards an 43 MOA to a mile.
A full 20 MOA flatter than MOST .338 LM and hits like a hammer.

We have built these for hunters out west and their buddies are sending their rifles to be built after seeing them perform.

Single shots are our specialty but if the feed lips on mags are properly adjusted they will feed just fine in a repeater.

One of the most elite courses of fire on the planet is dominated by the cartridge.

Most shooters go straight to the .300 NMIMP...which we build as well or you can simply use .300 NM brass and fire form it to the .300 Hulk. The .300 NMIMP is a Hulk clone but still falls short of the Hulk on accuracy and velocity and is slightly shorter and less powder capacity. If your going into combat then you want the .300 NM. If you want to dominate the precision playing field go with a Hulk.

Before anyone goes beating their chest...in all fairness the .300 NM WILL outperform ALL PRODUCTION .30 cal magnums out there by far to date.
Now, if only Lapua would say hmmm.....

HULKAMANIA BABY!