• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 Norma

goosendmax

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 29, 2012
Rifle, CO
Thinking about building a 300 Norma. Was just curious if anyone else has had one custom built and what bottom metal and magazines work best. I currently have a Mausingfield that I was going to re-barrel so the magazines would need to be center feed. Any help or experience would be appreciated.
Thank you

I have a .300NM using a Defiance action in a JAE chassis.

I'm using AI AICS .338LM CIP mags. Functions flawlessly, the mags just fit in the JAE chassis. I specified for Defiance to make the magwell CIP length.

Reactions: goosendmax
I have a LRI built 300Norma built on a mausingfield, it’s in a CIP length Cadex chassis. AICS CIP 338 lapua magazine. Send brass and bullet you intend to use to your smith and have them set the freebore to take advantage of the mag length. I can run 93 grains of re33 with berger 230 hybrid and get 3125fps with no signs of pressure, however my go to load is at 91.5 grains of re33 10 thousands off the lands at about 3075 FPS. This set up feeds like butter and shoot lights out

I have a LRI built 300Norma built on a mausingfield, it’s in a CIP length Cadex chassis. AICS CIP 338 lapua magazine. Send brass and bullet you intend to use to your smith and have them set the freebore to take advantage of the mag length. I can run 93 grains of re33 with berger 230 hybrid and get 3125fps with no signs of pressure, however my go to load is at 91.5 grains of re33 10 thousands off the lands at about 3075 FPS. This set up feeds like butter and shoot lights out
Thanks for the information. I was looking at a Manners stock and a Surgeon XL bottom metal with an AI .338 magazine. But I didn’t know if this combo would work as I have never shot or built anything larger than a 300 WM. Sounds like it should run just fine though and I am sure Chad and the crew at LRI will make sure it does before sending it back.

That’s quick. What’s your barrel length?

I bought an AI ASR, looking forward to the 300 Norma Mag barrel the most ... counting the days for it to be delivered.

That’s quick. What’s your barrel length?
30 inches. I don’t remember my exact COAL right now but it is long. They cut the freebore to get the bullet set out to take advantage of the CIP length. I noticed my COAL is longer than most peoples. I think it gives me a little more case capacity.

Reactions: Simia Dei
Thanks for the information. I was looking at a Manners stock and a Surgeon XL bottom metal with an AI .338 magazine. But I didn’t know if this combo would work as I have never shot or built anything larger than a 300 WM. Sounds like it should run just fine though and I am sure Chad and the crew at LRI will make sure it does before sending it back.
LRI will take good care of you.

I bought an AI ASR, looking forward to the 300 Norma Mag barrel the most ... counting the days for it to be delivered.

Congrats!! i have the AXSR in 300 Norma. You will not be disappointed.

30 inches. I don’t remember my exact COAL right now but it is long. They cut the freebore to get the bullet set out to take advantage of the CIP length. I noticed my COAL is longer than most peoples. I think it gives me a little more case capacity.
Just curious what your twist rate is in your barrel. I have the option of a 1 in 10” or a 1 in 8.5”. I’m leaning towards the 8.5” for the 230 grain bullets.

This will not work.
The Surgeon XL bottom metal will only work with the Surgeon 1581 action and cannot be reasonably altered to work with other actions.

./

Reactions: Newbie2020
This will not work.
The Surgeon XL bottom metal will only work with the Surgeon 1581 action and cannot be reasonably altered to work with other actions.

./
You’re right and I should have researched more before commenting. I actually need a LA CIP bottom metal that accepts the .338 Lapua magazines.
This is all new territory for me so I am trying to learn as fast as I can, order parts that are sold out as fast as I can, to wait as long as it takes for them to arrive in hopes that I can get them to my smith in time to be put together before politicians decide to attack our freedoms again.
I have everything I need except the dang bottom metal.

Reactions: Terry Cross
You’re right and I should have researched more before commenting. I actually need a LA CIP bottom metal that accepts the .338 Lapua magazines.
This is all new territory for me so I am trying to learn as fast as I can, order parts that are sold out as fast as I can, to wait as long as it takes for them to arrive in hopes that I can get them to my smith in time to be put together before politicians decide to attack our freedoms again.
I have everything I need except the dang bottom metal.

There are several good bottom metal makers out there.
We have been putting the new KMW Mk2 DBMs in quite a few stocks/rifles that are set up for CIP mags.
If you can't source one of the other bottoms, advise and I can send info on the Mk2. It is in stock and several go out every week.
Manners Stocks as well as McMillan Stocks have the inlet for it already.

./

Reactions: Rubicon Precision
That’s good to go and decent velocity. I have a 30” barrel coming for an AXMC. This is a dummy round at 3.650” in an AX338 mag, heaps of space. I’m going to run 245s when I can actually find them in stock over here.

306D6687-AB5D-425F-A219-9F07AF58CAB6.jpeg

Reactions: b6graham
There are several good bottom metal makers out there.
We have been putting the new KMW Mk2 DBMs in quite a few stocks/rifles that are set up for CIP mags.
If you can't source one of the other bottoms, advise and I can send info on the Mk2. It is in stock and several go out every week.
Manners Stocks as well as McMillan Stocks have the inlet for it already.

./
Can you please send me info on the Mk2? I can’t find it on your website and if it’s anything like the Mk1 I would be interested.

Can you please send me info on the Mk2? I can’t find it on your website and if it’s anything like the Mk1 I would be interested.

Please throw me an email at the link on the KMW site and I can reply with info/pics/pricing.
I have been shipping it to builders and building with it since January. Have been too crushed with work and new projects to finish/publish a new web page for it.

Be safe and Thanks.
T.

./

Reactions: goosendmax
Please throw me an email at the link on the KMW site and I can reply with info/pics/pricing.
I have been shipping it to builders and building with it since January. Have been too crushed with work and new projects to finish/publish a new web page for it.

Be safe and Thanks.
T.

./
Email sent. Thank you for your help.

FYI goosendmax... @wildcats has a 300 NM for sale in the classifieds, unfired that I'm sure will meet your accuracy needs. (If you wanted to get yourself an early Christmas present.)

I've considered this several times, but already have the niche filled.

Reactions: wildcats
Thinking about building a 300 Norma. Was just curious if anyone else has had one custom built and what bottom metal and magazines work best. I currently have a Mausingfield that I was going to re-barrel so the magazines would need to be center feed. Any help or experience would be appreciated.
Thank you

what twist are you planning on going with?

I am finishing a 300 Norma Mag on a Mausingfield M7 and Manners stock.

That part is easy. Bottom metal is the challenge.

Now running Hawkins Obendorf M5 BDL bottom metal with a Wyatt box.

The original straight wall Wyatt box would not hold the round.

Went to the center feed version which holds the round, but I am struggling with adjusting spring and feed lips.

If I can't get it dialed in, LRI is on speed dial.

I'm hoping I can send then just the box, not the whole rifle.

The other option is the new Hawkins Hunter DBM. The long action should be available in a few months.

Has anyone had any experience with the 300 Norma improved? Especially how it feeds?