• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC build

Joezone

Private
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2003
WA
I've got the parts together which include a KRG Whiskey 3 Chassis and Bighorn TL3 action cut for CIP 3.85 length magazines. Been at it for awhile and am not getting the parts to play nice together and allow any decent kind of feeding. Have tried MDT and Accurate 3.85 CIP magazines. Any one else have such a problem. Any recommendations on a smith that has worked with this combination and might be able to make it work? The mags don't want to seat high enough for the tip of the bullet to hit the feed ramp in some cases and the bottom back of the magazine wants to tilt forward a bit dropping the back of the bullet. I've tried moving the foreend of the chassis and trigger guard a bit but haven't solved the problem with that. I may have multiple things going on which makes this tricky for me. Thanks.

Eureka, I have one magazine, an MDT which I had tweaked a bit that now feeds! If I'm careful to set it correct. I will play around with the others and see what happens. I really like the KRG W3 chassis ergos. Just out of curiosity has anyone ran an MPA BA Comp with a Bighorn TL3 and CIP 300 Win mags?

Pull the bolt, probably the cheek piece too, insert a magazine with 1 cartridge/dummy.

Look from behind, down the receiver, you should see the rim and just a slice of the primer/pocket. If you don't see any primer, probably too low. If you see half the primer, too high.

To adjust height may require a new mag catch or filing/grinding the sear down. Might also get it by bending feed lips but that can turn into a mess.

My 300 bolted together smoothly (manners mini chassis) but I have been tempted to cut the feed lips back on my Accurate mags by about a quarter inch. They work as is but hold onto the case too long IMO.

Thanks for the info. I've got that tool MPA sells for modifying feed lips, makes it easy to bend them. Slight bends with trial and error can get you there eventually at least that is what worked for me on my first attempt. Have the MDT mags working pretty well. Haven't had a chance to work on the Accurate mags yet.

I've got the parts together which include a KRG Whiskey 3 Chassis and Bighorn TL3 action cut for CIP 3.85 length magazines. Been at it for awhile and am not getting the parts to play nice together and allow any decent kind of feeding. Have tried MDT and Accurate 3.85 CIP magazines. Any one else have such a problem. Any recommendations on a smith that has worked with this combination and might be able to make it work? The mags don't want to seat high enough for the tip of the bullet to hit the feed ramp in some cases and the bottom back of the magazine wants to tilt forward a bit dropping the back of the bullet. I've tried moving the foreend of the chassis and trigger guard a bit but haven't solved the problem with that. I may have multiple things going on which makes this tricky for me. Thanks.

Did you end up finding a solution? I'm looking at putting together a 300 prc and am wanting to use the same exact combo, zermatt tl3 LA and whiskey 3 chassis.