• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC Hunting Rifle

smokey24_24

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Apr 6, 2020
As the title suggests, I am looking into 300 PRC for a big game hunting rifle. Looking for suggestions on a factory rifle that is light enough to carry through the Colorado mountains on an Elk hunt but still solid enough to lessen the recoil...I've read about Bergara, Christensen Arms, and handled the Seekins Precision Havak Pro Hunter. I've just now decided on the 300 PRC as the caliber of choice but haven't gotten much further than that. I see that some are 1:8 twist and some are 1:9. Which would be better for my purposes? Any other things that I need to look for when deciding between rifles? Thanks for any and all help.

I can go up to 2K on a rifle. I'd prefer to be lower than the top end as I'm going to need a new scope for this as well.
To be honeat there have been several rifle under 2k threads specifically 300PRC. I would reccomend looking through those. Its going to be hard to beat those 3 you already listed unless you find something used.

To be honeat there have been several rifle under 2k threads specifically 300PRC. I would reccomend looking through those. Its going to be hard to beat those 3 you already listed unless you find something used.
I looked through several of the threads but they seemed to be more geared toward guys who want to hunt as well as match shooting. My application is strictly hunting. I may have missed it but I didn't see much discussion on twist rate and what is more ideal for a hunting application. I've seen 1:8, 1:9, 1:10 and 1:11 on the above mentioned brands....I'll continue to research and try to go back through those other threads again just in case I missed that info.

Re: twist: 1:10 will be the most versatile, covering through Berger 215's/220's, and Hornady 225's. 1:9 will allow for the Berger 230's and 245's, and the 230/250 A-tips, even though Hornady says the 250's need more. However, I don't think the PRC has enough horsepower to go beyond the 215/220 class and get bang for your buck. Finally, re: solids - the only ones I know of requiring 7 twist are the PVA competition bullets. The rest are good with 8 or 9.

Reactions: smokey24_24
1:9 would be probably better so you can easily use standard hunting rounds.

The 1:8 is better when you plan to mostly have it as a target gun and use the solid copper rounds.

1:9 would be probably better so you can easily use standard hunting rounds.

The 1:8 is better when you plan to mostly have it as a target gun and use the solid copper rounds.

This one is 1:9...any opinions on it? I like some of the previously mentioned rifles as well but I'm not sure they are worth double the money for a strictly hunting rifle. Any thoughts on that?

Looks like a good choice for a budget friendly hunting rifle, and 700 compatible to change anything down the road. Only consideration to keep in mind is that Bergara uses a coned bolt, which makes prefit barrels more difficult to source. Preferred barrel blanks is doing prefits for them, otherwise you may need to give your rifle to a gunsmith, or send back to Bergara to get swapped. But if only a hunting rifle, the 1000-1500 round barrel life should last you forever.

I have had great luck with the Seekins Havak series.

Bergara would be my next choice.

CA seems to be hit/miss (no pun intended)

I've the bergara premier in 300 PRC and I can't say enough about it. I don't think you'll be disappointed at all if you decide to go that route.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking the Bergara will fill the niche that I need it to. What optics would you all recommend for hunting rig of this caliber?

I've got a Riton 5-25 on mine and I've been happy with it. just don't go cheap on the rings and bases.

Assume you're looking at the 3-18 or so range since hunting - do you need illumination? Price point would make suggestions easier, and many discussions about this over on the optics side forum.

Assume you're looking at the 3-18 or so range since hunting - do you need illumination? Price point would make suggestions easier, and many discussions about this over on the optics side forum.
Yea I'd think 3-18 is optimal. Budget for scope will be up to $1500, although closer to 1K would be ideal. I just don't want to skimp when it comes to optical clarity so finding that sweet spot between quality and budget is where I'm at. I'll check out the Optics forum as well

I've been through a bunch of Japanese glass recently, and believe the XTR3 to be best in class, mostly due to FOV and reticle. The glass across the range is very comparable for me, with differences mostly in contrast (again, for me). I was unaware of the huge difference that FOV makes until I got the XTR3. Only caveat is illumination, which won't be out in that scope until summer. If the price point is a bit high, this is a well-liked scope here, and Doug @ Cameraland still has them on sale...

I've been through a bunch of Japanese glass recently, and believe the XTR3 to be best in class, mostly due to FOV and reticle. The glass across the range is very comparable for me, with differences mostly in contrast (again, for me). I was unaware of the huge difference that FOV makes until I got the XTR3. Only caveat is illumination, which won't be out in that scope until summer. If the price point is a bit high, this is a well-liked scope here, and Doug @ Cameraland still has them on sale...
I will check these out. I like the looks of the Bushnell Elite and the price. Thanks for the recs, truly appreciated. Any time I get into buying a new scope it just becomes information overload because there are so many dang options.

Reactions: Chickentoast
I think if I was going to get a 300 PRC and use it strictly for hunting, I’d probably get a Seekins. Bergara would be good but I think you get more accuracy with the Seekins and it’s probably lighter too.

Buddy got a Bergara premier highlander in 300 PRC. It’s super nice and shoots well. Call Euro Optic, they gave him a pretty solid deal too.