• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC or Norma for next build ??

Bigrederic

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jun 22, 2018
Petersburg Alaska
So, I have been got this urge to build a Magnum rifle after handling my friends 300 Norma. I just finished my 6.5 PRC a few months ago, and of course now I want to do another build. I keep thinking a 300 PRC would be cheaper, and the specs are not far off of the Norma. But is it worth the savings for the performance it gives up?

Oh and for some backstory, we live on a island in Alaska, so I have to reload... but I have a friend with the Norma so load data will be allot faster and easier.

What does everyone else think, or is there a caliber I am overlooking ??

I'm in, kinda, the same boat and my own conclusion is that the grass is always greener on the other side. Not much help, but what ever "we" chose to get we will always wonder if the other choice would've been better.

Im going to follow my heart...

Reactions: Bigrederic
Another vote for the Norma, the one I had was scary accurate and the most forgiving cartridge I've ever hand loaded for.

Reactions: jmw
Norma is the obvious choice. Just make sure you stick it in an action that isn’t anemic for the case volume. Because reasons, and that’s a lot of powder by your face.

I have a 338 Norma I built for Alaska, on a Badger M2013, I’m still looking for a place to shoot it here in Arkansas. We were moving up to Fairbanks, but it’s expensive as hell to get moved up there.

Moving to SE Alaska is stupid expensive... so is living here, but it is a great place to live.... we currently have 10 targets in the hills to just over 1800yds. It takes 20 or so minutes to get to them... and like 10 to go to the normal borough tang of 450 yards. No fees to shoot anywhere....

Reactions: bourbonbent
This may be relevant to your decision:

Reactions: bourbonbent
Due to your circumstances probability the Norma due to available components. However, I would recommend eventually going the 300 PRC route.

Reactions: Bigrederic
This may be relevant to your decision:

This is the brass my buddy has to use for his Norma, looks amazing.