• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

300 PRC Recipe

Gjb89

Private
Minuteman
Apr 16, 2017
Anyone have any 300 PRC recipes they would like to share? Looking for a reference before I start load development.

Anyone have any 300 PRC recipes they would like to share? Looking for a reference before I start load development.
Check out the main 300 PRC topic here. Most folks are using either H1000 or RL26 if you can find it.

I am currently working on 6.5 PRC but will do 300 PRC shortly. Both in Ruger RPRs. IMR 8133 seems like will have some good potential in 300 PRC and getting some promising data on ladder test on 6.5 PRC.

H1000 is a good hot rod.

IIRC early 300 PRC production ammo used H1000 but switched to RL26?

Also have some RL33 that I will try.

Check out the main 300 PRC topic here. Most folks are using either H1000 or RL26 if you can find it.

I am currently working on 6.5 PRC but will do 300 PRC shortly. Both in Ruger RPRs. IMR 8133 seems like will have some good potential in 300 PRC and getting some promising data on ladder test on 6.5 PRC.

H1000 is a good hot rod.

IIRC early 300 PRC production ammo used H1000 but switched to RL26?

Also have some RL33 that I will try.

I was using H1000 - 76.2 gr, 225 ELDs, BR-2 primers and was getting 2860 or so in my 28" barrel. I switched over to RL-26 when I finally got some, and it was running MUCH hotter than the Hornady load data advertised. 75.3gr was getting me close to 3000 fps.

I tried RL-33, but didn't get great results. I've started fire forming RWS 8x68S brass and might try some RL-33 loads again after I get my RL-26 load for the new brass completely dialed in.

Just worked up some loads with Retumbo and some 230gr A-Tips. At 70, 71.5 and 73.0 grains....they all basically went into the same hole at 100 yards. That surprised me that a 3 grain spread stayed that tight. 5 Shots into less than a 1/2MOA hole with 75 grains....and at 78grains my cheap scope blew up...I should have waited on my new scope...but when you got a new rifle...you wanna go shoot it as soon as you can.

I've reloaded 20 rounds at 78 grains and 5 at 80 grains...which is flashing red in the loading docs as too hot of a load. 28" Bartlein with 1-9tw is putting them below 3000fps....I suspect once the bartlein has over 100 rounds through it...it will most likely speed up just a bit.

I will visit H1000....and I still can't find any RL-26.

I was using H1000 - 76.2 gr, 225 ELDs, BR-2 primers and was getting 2860 or so in my 28" barrel. I switched over to RL-26 when I finally got some, and it was running MUCH hotter than the Hornady load data advertised. 75.3gr was getting me close to 3000 fps.

I tried RL-33, but didn't get great results. I've started fire forming RWS 8x68S brass and might try some RL-33 loads again after I get my RL-26 load for the new brass completely dialed in.

Thanks. I do want RL 26 just cannot find it anywhere. Thanks for the starting place on H1k.

Just worked up some loads with Retumbo and some 230gr A-Tips. At 70, 71.5 and 73.0 grains....they all basically went into the same hole at 100 yards. That surprised me that a 3 grain spread stayed that tight. 5 Shots into less than a 1/2MOA hole with 75 grains....and at 78grains my cheap scope blew up...I should have waited on my new scope...but when you got a new rifle...you wanna go shoot it as soon as you can.

I've reloaded 20 rounds at 78 grains and 5 at 80 grains...which is flashing red in the loading docs as too hot of a load. 28" Bartlein with 1-9tw is putting them below 3000fps....I suspect once the bartlein has over 100 rounds through it...it will most likely speed up just a bit.

I will visit H1000....and I still can't find any RL-26.

Do you have velocity data on the various loads?

Also for both of you, what elevation and where are you shooting? Here at about 1k feet in the North East.

Thanks. I do want RL 26 just cannot find it anywhere. Thanks for the starting place on H1k.

I have a ton now, but it took a lot of work to get. Basically I:

- Did searches for RL-26, RL-26 8lb, RL-26 1lb, Reloder 26, Reloader 26, and as many permutations I could come up with including adding "in stock" to each - and I did them literally every day. You have to because when the stuff gets in stock, you have to get it quickly or it's gone.

- As I did my searches, when I found a place that took back orders, I placed them

- I called every store within 3 hours drive - and I drove just that to get 2 lbs :)

Also for both of you, what elevation and where are you shooting? Here at about 1k feet in the North East.

I'm in Nor Cal and the private range I go to is less than 1000' - about 600 or so. The public range nearby is about the same. All my velocity info is from either of these. When I go out for a full day of 1000+ yard shooting, it's usually on the eastern slopes of the Sierras somewhere, which means likely somewhere in the 7000' arena.

Do you have velocity data on the various loads?

My velocity data can be found in the main 300 PRC thread. I don't know how much I trust them due to the age of the chrono I was using. However, my 225gr ELD-M loads chorno'd at 2909 and my 70, 71.5 and 73.0gr of Retumbo loads hit vertically close to that point of impact with same point of aim....and this with a heavier 230gr A-Tip. The 75 and 78 grain loads were running mid to upper 2900's and the 80gr over max load posted over 3000fp/s with that 230gr A-Tip.....with a barely hint of pressure signs....and upon primer extraction and reloading....was still a very firm primer pocket. I'll run about 5 reloads through that one piece of brass at the same charge and see what i get.

As far as elevation. I think I measured 910ft of elevation at that range...Northern Kentucky. Wind was blowing...but I don't think the 300PRC really gives a rats behind about wind at 100-200 yards.

I had my chamber cut explicitly for the 225gr ELD-M. Loading these 230gr A-Tips I'm currently forced to seat them a little deeper than I would like...that and the 3.850" outside diameter magazines don't leave much more room to extend outward if I wanted to get super long anyway. I got 60 thousandths before I'm scrubbing the box...which sounds like a lot...but not really if you step up to the 250's and seat the boat tail and the junction of the neck and shoulder.

Reactions: maksim